Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Old Testament Claims....
The Old Testament Claims....
Numbers 21

Quote:Arad Destroyed

21 When the Canaanite king of Arad, who lived in the Negev, heard that Israel was coming along the road to Atharim, he attacked the Israelites and captured some of them. 2 Then Israel made this vow to the Lord: “If you will deliver these people into our hands, we will totally destroy[a] their cities.” 3 The Lord listened to Israel’s plea and gave the Canaanites over to them. They completely destroyed them and their towns; so the place was named Hormah.[

But, when archaeologist Yohanan Aharoni dug there....

Quote:The lower area was first settled during the Chalcolithic period, around 4000 BCE. Excavations at the site have unearthed an extensive Bronze Age Canaanite settlement which was in place until approximately 2650 BCE. The site was then apparently deserted for over 1500 years until resettled during the Israelite period from the 11th century BCE onwards, initially as an unwalled piece of land cut off as an official or sacred domain was established on the upper hill, and then later as a garrison-town known as 'The Citadel'.
it turns out to have been an Israelite site built on the ruins of a much older Early Bronze Age town.

No King of "Arad" existed to attack the so-called "Israelites."

Episode One in the new series I will call BIBLE BULLSHIT.
RE: The Old Testament Claims....
Quote:Episode One in the new series I will call BIBLE BULLSHIT.

Nice, but probably redundant; I think that may have been done already,more than a few times. But hey, whatever floats your cookies. Tiger

I saw that in a documentary recently.

PLUS it seems that not only did the Jews NOT conquer Canaan,they WERE Canaanites, probably refugees from the crumbling Mesopotamian empires.

The Biblical claims of Joshua's conquests and genocide in "The Promised Land' are contradicted by current archaeology,as far as I'm aware. (As indeed is the myth of the Exodus)
The Biblical claims of Joshua's conquests and genocide in "The Promised Land' are contradicted by current archaeology,as far as I'm aware. (As indeed is the myth of the Exodus)

Virtually all of the claims of the Old Testament for the "great" jewish state are not supported by or proven wrong by history and archeology

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/archeology.html - The Archeology department of TEL AVIV University has pretty much established the bible to be fairy tales

Jericho did not exist at the supposed time of Joshua.
The jews were not in bondage to Egypt at the supposed time of moses - who also has no basis in reality. There was no Exodus - no wandering in the desert - no great flood - no Adam and eve - no day creation - and there is not a single document that we have - that can be dated to the supposed time of the christ that even mentions that name.
I regard it as a sacred task to annoy the fuck out of fundies.

Angel
The supposed tomb of Christ has never been found. Although some claim they have, Christians can never agree on it. Which is a reoccurring Christian trait.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
Was it you or a podcast that suggested a book to me about how Nazareth was a fictitious place, Min?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(September 9, 2012 at 10:35 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Was it you or a podcast that suggested a book to me about how Nazareth was a fictitious place, Min?

Quote:• Nazareth is not mentioned even once in the entire Old Testament. The Book of Joshua (19.10,16) – in what it claims is the process of settlement by the tribe of Zebulon in the area – records twelve towns and six villages and yet omits any 'Nazareth' from its list.

• The Talmud, although it names 63 Galilean towns, knows nothing of Nazareth, nor does early rabbinic literature.

• St Paul knows nothing of 'Nazareth'. Rabbi Solly's epistles (real and fake) mention Jesus 221 times, Nazareth not at all.

• No ancient historian or geographer mentions Nazareth. It is first noted at the beginning of the 4th century.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
'Nazareth' is just one of those things that came from 'tradition', just like St. Matthew really writing his own Gospel.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Rene Salm's The Myth of Nazareth is quite good in that he studiously reveals the archaeological evidence.

However, this

is faster.
I had not seen that Min,thank you.

However, I think you are preaching to the converted (if you will forgive the expression) Nothing as prosaic as archaeological and/or historical evidence will convince the believer of anything which contradicts dogma. Far too threatening.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1210 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8483 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7321 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 133721 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6122 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6288 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35928 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 16794 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 108240 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Methodist Church apology over abuse claims zebo-the-fat 11 2166 May 30, 2015 at 9:14 am
Last Post: robvalue