Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addicted to gaming
Addicted to gaming
(I did not know were to put this)
I am going to start my second year of uni soon and I think I may be addicted to gaming and I want to know how to reverse that before it completely fucks with my life, I did not want to go to any sort of GA (gamers anonymous) as the 12 step program replaces games with the magical sky daddy. Can anybody help me as I don't want to become completely addicted.
Note: If you have a god related suggestion, keep it to your self.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Addicted to gaming
You're addicted because there is some set of conditions in your life that you find intolerable and you seek solace.

Answer for yourself, what does gaming give you?

The answer lies not within simple prohibition of the game, but seeing why you return to it time and time again.

Also, if you're at university, most Uni's provide on campus mental health clinics. If you truly have lost control, you may want to consult them.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(September 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: (I did not know were to put this)
I am going to start my second year of uni soon and I think I may be addicted to gaming and I want to know how to reverse that before it completely fucks with my life, I did not want to go to any sort of GA (gamers anonymous) as the 12 step program replaces games with the magical sky daddy. Can anybody help me as I don't want to become completely addicted.

Put your capacity to embrace "Physical Evidence and Reasoned Logic" to the test. Physical Evidence says not moderating gaming will ruin your life. Logic says life is not worthy ruining for the sake of unmoderated gaming. So are you a Pearlist or not?

I personally think cold turkey is best, as all other step by step crutches leaves you reliant on crutches.
(September 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: (I did not know were to put this)

I love games too , but like everything , should always be in moderation and the cardinal sin is playing right up till you go to sleep , when your brain needs to wind down and rest , so you can sleep properly. This could really effect your study if it effects your rest and im sure the second year of uni your going to need your brain in tip top shape.
(the best thing before sleep is reading).
You need to replace with something more worth while . What other interests do you have ? Perhaps a sport or going to the gym , or the numerous clubs/societys universitys have might interest you and will give you chance to meet new people. Have a look at whats on offer and give it ago . Give yourself a strict curfew with the gaming , say stop playing at least an hour before sleep. Hope this was some help.
I had this problem once. If possible don't even turn on the computer. Also, uninstall and remove all games from where you live. By remove, I mean sell / give away / throw away. If you download games you could try limiting things on the ISP end by reducing your d/l limit to something like 1gb/month. In my own experience I've found I take the path of least resistance. If temptation isn't right in front of you then you'll have a chance to think things through and decide whether you really want to sink 8 hours into a game before you go to the store to buy it.

Out of all the things I've mentioned, I found just not turning on the computer helped most. Despite what I've said, I agree with Moros. Prohibiting the game isn't going to solve the root problem - find out why you do it. For me it was escapism, but like many addictions it only worsened the problem I was using it to escape from.
My tip on not playing too much? Always put IRL situations first. If someone calls and wants you to go out, pause the game and do so. If you have a deadline, do your work first, then play the game. If the game is too enticing, stop playing altogether for a while. Good luck, I know what you're going through.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Addicted to gaming
12 step programs don't have to be dependent upon a belief in god. Just the belief that there is something greater than the individual, be it the universe, nature, or anything one may view as greater than oneself.
I always try to remember that games can be played at any time and real life problems often have deadlines. Like Kay said, do work first, then game after.

Easier said than done though. Skyrim was certainly a factor in ruining my first semester last year, although, I did still manage a B+ in programming, despite most everything else going to shit Tongue

Maybe try and think of it as though you get to game afterward as a reward for doing your duties first?
I just did abit of googling and I found these 6 tips for you. They help to control your thoughts and therefore your actions.

http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/blog/medi...-thoughts/
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Try crack, at least you won't be addicted to gaming anymore. ( I know how you feel though, I get stuck creating random flash games or on war3 editor.) At least it's productive, sorta.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MMORPG's & Online Gaming Kyuuketsuki 15 4882 September 9, 2009 at 4:46 am
Last Post: UpNorth
  Gaming: Do You Like The Violence? Kyuuketsuki 56 17724 May 26, 2009 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet