Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMORPG's & Online Gaming
MMORPG's & Online Gaming
OK,

I've never been much of a one for online gaming ... I mean sure I like network games as much as anyone else but to me the point has been about cooperating or competing with friends, having a good old battle or some such with the occasional friendly slagging and so on. I've even played against relative strangers in a strategic PBEM game called VGA Planets which, despite the low quality graphics, I absolutely love (well V3.x at any rate) because it involves strategy, a slow build up of resources, tactics, planning and, if desired, an element of role play ... but until now I've never been in a true online game.

So having signed up for my first ever MMORPG, Second Life, and spent the grand total of maybe an hour in it I am now receiving mails from the people who run the application ... why I'm not sure, it's not like they make money out of it in any way I'm aware of.

Apparently (so I'm told), It's a big world out there" and I should check out the Second Life Showcase for ideas of what I could do next. One moment I could be sunning myself on a Thai beach, the next relaxing in an alpine forest and later perhaps partying with "the hipsters" in NYC ... sounds delightful I'm sure but to enjoy sunning myself on a Thai Beach I need to feel the sun on my face, the wind on my body, the sea when I go swimming ... to enjoy relaxing in an alpine forest I'd want to smell the pine and to party in NYC I guess I'd need to get in the groove on some such (I'd prefer a Goth club actually but that's just nitpicking).

I mean sure, I love to be entertained, music, film, books, plays ... they're all marvellous and I even like the occasional games where there is a goal, something to achieve but what's the attraction? I mean, the thing is, I don't get it ... to me it's as vapid as believing in invisible, indetectable gods, it's a pointless distraction that gets in the way of me and real life so why bother?

Maybe there are better (as in less pointless) MMORPG's out there but my first experience of one has been less than inspiring.

Kyu

p.s. if there are any VGAP 3.x fans out there (or anyone to whom the idea of a year or more long space strategy game appeals) I'd be happy to set up a game and play with or against you.

p.p.s The following short story is based on one of the characters I developed whilst playing the Robots (Cylons) in VGA Planets:

Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: MMORPG's & Online Gaming
As for Second Life I absolutely agree with you. As far as I can tell there is no point at all to 'being' there, apart from wandering around looking at virtual scenery.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Fuck second life. I've been playing the free MMORPG Runes of Magic recently, it's fucking awesome:

http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/index.html
I'm a Second Life fan, but maybe it's because I've been so long in the game and formed a load of friendships that I wouldn't be able to keep up otherwise. I'm currently building my second house in the game.

The people who own Second Life are earning a lot of money out of it though. In order to get money in the game (other than working for it) you have to buy it through the exchange on the SL website. If you want to host a SL server you must pay them a monthly fee, and given the size of SL, there are a heck of a lot of servers out there (they don't come cheap either).
I'd love to see a GTA MMORPG. See how a lawless civilization breaks down in days. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
That would be sick leo. There once existed an mmo mod for GTA3 on PC.
WoW is great... but maybe that's because there's a point to it. I think my biggest attraction to it is my friends though... It is meant to be a social game after all.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I work with online gamers. They come to work and talk about it all the time. They use their code words and call eachother by their gaming names. It's hilarious. I have never been able to get into gaming. Some of us at work make fun of them but we do it to their face of course. I learned something about gaming. I thought that all of the gamers basically played D&D in their parents basements and then went around dressed up as characters all day. Apparently there are different breeds of gamers. I went to school with a couple students who played Magic the Gathering and sadly we all gave them a hard time. The acronyms kill me. Everything is abbreviated in the gaming community.
Of course... nobody is going to say: "There is an alliance priest, hunter, and a warrior entering via tunnel"...

We abbreviate that to: "inc tun". Big Grin Text messaging on steroids. > . >
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Do any of you get foam swords and go outside and hit eachother with them? There is a park here where people do that. They dress up and then have battles. There may be a hundred or so people doing it. Used to a friend and myself would go and park in the parking lot and watch them while we smoked pot. It was great entertainment.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 601 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Have you ever Met-up with an online Buddy? Uberpod 25 1427 December 3, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Orbit
  Making money online. paulpablo 25 2338 September 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Online Privacy eggie 18 3590 May 26, 2017 at 4:25 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Online dating truthers J a c k 96 9451 August 1, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6029 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your online safety.......... Brian37 86 13673 December 5, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Online bullying? ignoramus 17 1975 October 9, 2015 at 3:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Back Online! AFTT47 8 1382 October 2, 2015 at 12:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  PSA: Online Dating BrokenQuill92 9 2418 April 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92