Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:11 am

Poll: What should we do about Medicine?
This poll is closed.
Fully Socialized
78.26%
18 78.26%
Obama care
4.35%
1 4.35%
Return to before Obama care
0%
0 0%
Some other option
17.39%
4 17.39%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for European style socialized medine
Time for European style socialized medine
We spend vastly more per head on medicine than in Europe and they have fully socialized medicine.

You don;t have to worry about medical bills. You only take out private insurance to get quicker access times and a better bedrooms.

We don't need obamacare. We need the real thing.
RE: Time for European style socialized medine
I want full socialized medicine, but Obamacare is an acceptable step in that direction for now. There are flaws with it, no question, but it's a whole lot better than any health insurance reform bills that have previously passed in the last 50 or so years.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I agree with having a fully socialized system, but don't think that the bill that passed did anything to reduce cost or was a step in the right direction. It basically serves the insurance industry. Keep in mind that the bill requires future coverage for pre-existing conditions, but says nothing about what companies can charge in these cases.

When debating this point with friends I point out that the U.S. military uses what essentially is a socialized healthcare system. The argument made against this then becomes about scale in that a national system would be too difficult to enact. This of course is rubbish considering other nations that have established systems.
Obamacare is a step in the wrong direction, letting the corrupt insurance industry further ruin our lives.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
It would be good, on a forum that includes people from various countries, if country-specific questions actually mentioned the country in the title... or the poll.

As for a nation's healthcare:-

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
Since it wasn't a European country where on earth do you think it referred to?

OK please guilty to americanocentrism but there is only one country that doesn't put its name on its stamps or its country in the name of its armed forces.

Any guesses who that might be?
Being the recipient of the British national health system, I can say it is good in parts when it is good it is very good, but there are problems, and one problem is that is run by politicians, who do not want to admit the body under their control is not functioning properly. I think most british people would not like to see a swap to another system, but I also understand why so many Americans with a distrust of the state would not like the idea of Washington controlling their health care.
Actually the system is different in each European country. To my mind it is not a question weather America has a good system open to all or not, but how to construct a system that is fitting for the American culture.
As an outsider, the way health care is or is not delivered in America, seems to be pointing at a more primitive way of constructing a society than we outsiders enjoy.
Personally I think this is a question for the Republican side, Do you think the system you have now is right, and if not what would you put in its place.
(September 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm)Red Celt Wrote: It would be good, on a forum that includes people from various countries, if country-specific questions actually mentioned the country in the title... or the poll.

As for a nation's healthcare:-

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Well America gets an F in how it cares for those making little or no income (aka not in the middle class by any stretch of the imagination) as well as for how it treats minorities and those with differing religious views (especially those not associated with the major religion)....both Jews/Christians and atheists have really dropped the ball on these two issues.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I live under the NHS and whilst it has its advantages, a lot of people live under the delusion that it is "free". Like the students who protest against higher tuition fees for university, people do not understand that anything paid for by the government is ultimately paid for by the people. If education was free for students, it would be paid for by everyone else. Likewise, the NHS is free for everyone, but it paid for by the tax payers.

Roughly 8.6% of my gross income is taken as national insurance, which covers services like the NHS. That is on top of the 20% tax rate I already pay. If there should be such a service, it should be completely optional. I want the right to either pay the government for my healthcare, or choose to go with a private insurer if I am not satisfied with the NHS.

In an ideal world, the free market would handle this by having numerous insurance companies that competed for customers, lowering prices to make healthcare affordable for everyone (and the government / welfare charities would support those unable to buy healthcare themselves). Hospitals would not be limited to a few insurers, but would be able to accept all of them. Oh yes, and in the case of the US, insurance across state lines would be legal, so you can live in Boston and still have valid insurance in San Francisco.
(September 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm)Tiberius Wrote: a lot of people live under the delusion that it is "free".

No they don't. I don't know anyone who thinks that.

"Free" = "Free at the point of delivery". That's all that it's ever meant.

As for you wanting to opt out from the NHS altogether... what happens if you're in a traffic accident? Should the NHS ambulance be cancelled if your wallet has a BUPA card in it? A lot of "private" healthcare is actually carried out by the NHS, but you're charged for it. Oh, you'll likely have much shorter waiting times and your own room instead of a bed on a ward... but it will still be NHS.

Always good to know that the healthcare of the wealthy is more important than the healthcare of the poor.
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia is Europe. Kyiv and Moscow should be in the European Union Interaktive 53 4657 December 14, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Fucking Cops - German Style Minimalist 5 1251 July 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why I am a European abaris 17 1305 June 26, 2016 at 11:34 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here's why European unity isn't such a bad idea abaris 31 4285 May 30, 2016 at 11:46 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Time To Stop Wasting Everyone's Time, Bernie Minimalist 253 27748 May 29, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Medical Care - 'Murrican style. Minimalist 0 664 April 27, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Justice - American style Minimalist 29 4125 January 9, 2015 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Should the European Union end? Dystopia 27 3688 August 10, 2014 at 6:05 am
Last Post: ccapehart1980
  Should the European Union end? Dystopia 6 1528 August 1, 2014 at 8:44 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  American Health Care - An example for our European Friends.... Minimalist 1 1157 March 26, 2014 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: xpastor