Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the European Union end?
Should the European Union end?
The question is pretty clear:

Should the EU end? And why/why not?

This poll is aimed at Europeans but Americans are free to answer as long as you provide a justification.

I'm a euro skeptical so I'll go with 'yes'.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Should the European Union end?
The world seems to be going through a tribalism spasm where everyone wants to live with their own kind....especially if their own kind happens to be assholes.

The EU is an example of the opposing force to that tendency.

I predict it will not end well, though.
(July 25, 2014 at 10:30 pm)Blackout Wrote: The question is pretty clear:

This poll is aimed at Europeans but Americans are free to answer as long as you provide a justification.

End of EU will be the end of significance for most European nations.

Britain will gravitate towards the US, Germany will ally with Russia, eventually picking up a feisty France as a third, junior partner.
Of course it should end - it undermines democracy!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Ah, the EU.
Once, it was a gathering of a few nations... intent on sticking together with Germany, so it wouldn't misbehave like it did in 1914 and 1939... in the 1950's, it was rebounding and gearing up to become another world power, again... so France and the UK partnered with them to keep them in check.... seems to have worked, so far...
Then, that evolved... it became the EEC...
Then it evolved again and became the EU.

Now... well... it will evolve. Perhaps to accommodate the requirements of all the EU countries' governing needs.
I have to say that I don't have much against a sort of united states of Europe... but what do I know?
As far as I can tell, the EU is already a sort of U.S.E., except for all the different languages in each member state.

Well, there is one thing, the people of the EU doesn't vote for the maximum representatives of the EU... we only vote for the European Parliament... I don't know how much of an improvement would voting bring... at least it would make the buy up top rotate, but would that guy be the best person for the job? or the one with the biggest advertising/campaign budget?
I like the general idea of the EU but in practice it doesn't seem to work all that well. Problem is if we dissolve it now, it will probably do more harm than good to European nations as Chuck mentions. I'd like to stay in the EU and have it massively reformed but I don't know what that would entail and whether it would be all that realistic.
(July 25, 2014 at 10:30 pm)Blackout Wrote: The question is pretty clear:

No it should not end. It has succeeded in preventing a major war between european states which had been a main activity since time immemorial.
The more conjoined we are the better.
Its when we are separated that the problems start.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia is Europe. Kyiv and Moscow should be in the European Union Interaktive 53 4694 December 14, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Trucker Protest - End all COVID Mandates Now HappySkeptic 44 1916 February 23, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 7019 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Kuala Lumpur Islamic summit: did the night of the vassals began to end? WinterHold 16 1115 January 2, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  The End Of the Pathologization Of Intersex Amarok 1 468 July 7, 2019 at 4:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3125 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14683 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  The Republicunts Go Off The Deep End Minimalist 5 1349 March 24, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump May End DACA Program Seraphina 30 9082 September 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The End Is Nigh - Trump DarkerEnergy 12 3576 June 13, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: Brian37