Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origins of the pale skin color in Europeans
Origins of the pale skin color in Europeans
I have been recently reading research that the genes responsible for the light skin colors in Europeans, became only dominant between 5000-6000 years ago when agriculture was firmly established in Europe.

The reasoning about the genetic evidence, is that agricultural people did not have access to vitamin d rich foods such as fish as their hunter gather precessors did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...anged.html

These discoveries would piss of those various "Aryan pride" people, because until only a few thousand years ago Northern Europeans had very likely medium colored skin and dark hair, similar to what people in the Middle East or North-East Asia have.
undefined
RE: Origins of the pale skin color in Europeans
I've got to think about this one.

The northernmost Europeans, in Scandinavia suffered from such a short growing season that much of their diet was ocean-based. Yet, they are the lightest skinned.

But even more to the point.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scien...ckles.html

Quote:Neanderthals living in Europe were fair skinned, freckled and had ginger hair, a study has revealed.

But, by all means let's have the discussion because it will be nice not to have to listen to someone prattle on about fucking jesus for once.
How do you explain the skin pigmentation of people living thousands of kilometres from fish such as countries in the middle of Africa? Or are their diets still vitamin D rich anyways?

I always thought skin colour was a direct adaptation to how strong the sun was in that region..?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 21, 2012 at 12:06 am)Minimalist Wrote: But, by all means let's have the discussion because it will be nice not to have to listen to someone prattle on about fucking jesus for once.

Can we talk about how Jesus got his light skin color? Devil
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Smart ass.

Jesus got his light skin color because bigoted northern europeans did not want a dark-skinned savior.
(September 21, 2012 at 12:23 am)TaraJo Wrote:
(September 21, 2012 at 12:06 am)Minimalist Wrote: But, by all means let's have the discussion because it will be nice not to have to listen to someone prattle on about fucking jesus for once.

Can we talk about how Jesus got his light skin color? Devil

Ignorant western churches :p
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 21, 2012 at 12:08 am)FallentoReason Wrote: How do you explain the skin pigmentation of people living thousands of kilometres from fish such as countries in the middle of Africa? Or are their diets still vitamin D rich anyways?

I always thought skin colour was a direct adaptation to how strong the sun was in that region..?

The idea that skin color correlates to sun light does not hold water. There are native Americans in tropical latitudes where Africans are darks as chocolate. There are native Americans in arctic latitudes where Europeans are white as snow. Yet native Americans seems to have done pretty well staying much the same color as each other.
(September 21, 2012 at 12:08 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I always thought skin colour was a direct adaptation to how strong the sun was in that region..?

The article says that we evolved to absorb more vitamin D because of a change in our diets. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to African people who were living around the equator if they had changed their diets and needed extra vitamin D. Would they have evolved lighter skin instead of (or along with) us? And if so, what evolutionary adjustments would have been made to prevent nearly constant sunburns?

(September 21, 2012 at 12:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: Smart ass.

Yep. Whole lot better than being a dumb ass. Big Grin
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(September 21, 2012 at 12:08 am)FallentoReason Wrote: How do you explain the skin pigmentation of people living thousands of kilometres from fish such as countries in the middle of Africa? Or are their diets still vitamin D rich anyways?

That's my understanding as well. This theory is born out by the pattern we see where the closer you get to the equator, the darker the skin, while the closer you get to the poles, the lighter the skin.

We can see this effect not just in Europeans but other people in the world. Compare among Native American tribes the Eskimo of Alaska to the Inca of Peru. Compare in East Asia the Mongolians to the Siamese. Among Europeans, compare the Italians to the Scandinavians.

Skin color is just an adaptation to the amount of direct sunlight a given people have over time. Darker skin is more resistant to sunlight so it protects from sunburn, useful in tropical climates. Lighter skin sucks up sunlight, useful if its in short supply.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

UV levels are much higher in the middle of Africa, as opposed to say Scandinavia.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Climate impact of Europeans killing native Americans Anomalocaris 14 964 February 2, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Origins of sex discovered: Side-by-side copulation Dolorian 4 1582 October 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Resurrected protein's clue to origins of life downbeatplumb 4 1732 August 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  Color perception arbitrary? Tea Earl Grey Hot 24 5362 July 26, 2013 at 12:34 am
Last Post: FifthElement
  The Mosaic of Human Origins pocaracas 4 3214 May 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Evolutionary Origins of Marriage Justtristo 0 1463 June 15, 2012 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
Video The Skin Gun Cosmic Ape 9 3192 January 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  How Skin "sees" thesummerqueen 2 1007 November 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Origins of Us BBC documentary 5thHorseman 12 5305 October 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus
  Vindication of the Multiregional hypothesis for human origins Justtristo 3 2185 October 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist