Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 random arguements for atheism.
4 random arguements for atheism.
Failure of Revelation
Revelation--receiving direct communication from gods--has failed on a colossal scale over human history. First of all, it is the basis for a myriad of competing scriptures, all of which contain inherently contradictory material. Hence, it is clear that most revelation (if not all revelation) from God or gods must be false.
Worse yet, the distribution of religious revelation has been geographically skewed. All religions originated at one geographical point and spread from there. If any revelation had been from a true god or gods, one might reasonably expect parallel versions of the religion to arise in different locations independently of each other, since gods are not as bound by geography as humans are. But that NEVER happens. The calico patterns of religious revelation suggest that, in fact, religious revelation always arises from the imagination of individuals, and spreads from a geographical center. The main reason that people come to believe in gods is not revelation, but tradition--the accident of being born into a region that accepts that revelation and nothing else.

God as a Bad Explanation
The first argument addressed the failure of revelation as a credible source for belief in gods. The second argument has to do with the historical use of gods to explain unexplained natural phenomena. We see this approach most in evidence today from those who seek to explain alleged yet-to-be-explained cases of biological evolution: so-called "intelligent design". In its most general form, this argument is often characterized as a "God of the Gaps" argument, in that gods are typically used to explain gaps in our knowledge. As we discover natural causes for previously unexplained observations, we abandon the god-explanations. Never the reverse.

The central point here is that gods are only useful as explanations when we don't have a better natural explanation. Over the centuries, the trend has been for us to appeal less and less to supernatural explanations. A reasonable extrapolation of this trend is that no supernatural explanation is reasonable.

Divine Silence
One can reasonably expect that an existing god, if it were able, would make itself known to humans. In fact, the big mystery about the Abrahamic god is why he seems so reluctant to make his presence obvious to everyone. Instead, he relies on a few chosen "prophets" to communicate his will to people. An unfortunate side effect is that there are plenty of false prophets out there at work to take advantage of his reticence.

Christian apologists have devised the "Free Will Defense" (FWD) to explain God's silence. Basically, the idea is that we would somehow be deprived of our freedom to choose to do good if we really knew that there was an all-powerful being that we knew wanted us to do good. By not making his existence plainly evident, God is giving us the "gift" of letting us choose to misbehave. The FWD should not be construed as being of some usefulness to God, because an omniscient being already knows how his creations will choose to behave or misbehave. So it must be for human benefit alone. I suspect that those who choose wrongly end up feeling that it was not such a great benefit, but, what the heck, they deserve it, right?

Ultimately, the FWD is a very flimsy hook on which to hang the existence of God. From an objective point of view, it isn't at all clear why we should find it so difficult to detect the existence of gods. Unless, of course, they don't exist.

Disembodied Brainless Thinkers
For me, this argument is one of the strongest against belief in any gods. Gods are agents. They think, reason, plan, remember, and experience emotions just as humans do. The argument here is that neural science has shown virtually every cognitive ability to be rooted in the functioning of a physical brain. It is extremely unlikely that a mind could exist independently of its physical substrate. The mind evolves as the brain develops from infancy thru adulthood. Its ability to function depends completely on the health of the brain during the life of the organism. It ceases to exist when the brain dies. Gods do not have physical brains. Therefore, gods probably do not exist. [Image: icon3.gif]

One further note to add here--why thinking behavior (and brains) evolved in animals. Animals, as opposed to most plants, move around in a territory. They compete with each other for resources. They need a sophisticated guidance system, and they need to be able to manipulate objects in their environments. In other words, brains are needed to operate bodies that move. The human mind is certainly the most sophisticated guidance and danger-avoidance system that we know of. It does not seem reasonable to believe that there would be bodiless, brainless beings that would evolve the same kind of goal-directed behavior. That is, human characteristics are a product of a long chain of evolutionary development that meet the survival needs of life forms on a planetary surface. There is no reason why a thinking being should exist without a body to nurture and protect.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: 4 random arguements for atheism.
14 views and not one reply/comment?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
Indeed, forgive me for having a job and social life. Smile

I think it is a pretty fair summation of arguments in favor of atheism. Nothing in that list made me think you brought somehing new to the table though.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
4 better arguments for atheism:
  • You don't believe in god!

Oh that's one ... but then that's all you need coz it ain't a philosophy!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Sorry, but it's not as good as you think. Too long a read for too little.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Of course you nimrods do realize this was not meant for the staunch atheists among us. We all know these things and it is nothing new to us.

It was meant for the fence sitters and the Arcanuses, Frodos and their ilk. We have a couple fence sitters here which it may be new to or they never considered these arguements. The Frodos and Arcanuses may have heard them before but don't have a sufficient rebuttal or they may, I just haven't seen one where ever I posted these thoughts yet. Thought I'd get lucky and get a better one to this thread or the post I made on the "Why can't they see?" thread.

Neither set of thoughts have ever garnered a logical rebuttal yet. I hoped Mr. fancy-words Arcanus might have a go at them.

Frodo not so much, he's just goofy. [Image: bluetongue.gif]
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
(July 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm)Dotard Wrote: It is extremely unlikely that a mind could exist independently of its physical substrate.

Another believer! Faith in something there is no proof for.
(July 21, 2009 at 6:26 pm)Dotard Wrote: It was meant for the fence sitters and the Arcanuses, Frodos and their ilk. We have a couple fence sitters here which it may be new to or they never considered these arguements. The Frodos and Arcanuses may have heard them before but don't have a sufficient rebuttal. Or they may. I just haven't seen one where ever I posted these thoughts yet. ... I hoped Mr. Fancy-Words Arcanus might have a go at them.

As you may be aware, I have been heavily involved in a couple discussions elsewhere. And I don't like to spread myself too thin because I don't have indiscriminate amounts of leisure time for message boards, so I haven't been exploring the forums too far. But since a couple of those conversations are starting to wind down, I went exploring this afternoon—and discovered this post (including that other stellar one you published). I will oblige you and compose a rebuttal to all four arguments. Although given the amount of upcoming overtime at work, plus my ongoing work for Sirius XM and the remaining discussions I have committed to here... don't expect my response to be posted very soon. But I will definitely start composing one.

(P.S. If someone has an argument or something they want my thoughts on and a lot of time goes by without a word from me, I'm probably not even aware of it. So feel free to drop me a private message and bring it to my attention.)
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
(July 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(July 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm)Dotard Wrote: It is extremely unlikely that a mind could exist independently of its physical substrate.

Another believer! Faith in something there is no proof for.

Nope! There is absolutely no evidence that thought can exist independent of it's supporting infrastructure (nerves/brain) and A LOT of evidence that damage to said infrastructure causes sometimes huge changes in thought/mind therefore it is absolutely reasonable to infer that mind/thought CANNOT exist without a supporting infrastructure and as such it is YOU that is making the extraordinary claim and YOU that must provide the extraordinary evidence.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(July 21, 2009 at 10:30 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: 4 better arguments for atheism:
  • You don't believe in god!

Oh that's one ... but then that's all you need coz it ain't a philosophy!

Kyu

Snap

Theist : "OK,then [as an atheist] HOW do you explain X Y and Z?"

Me: "I don't" .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Facebook god post Rahn127 10 1379 June 27, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Random evolution purplepurpose 57 10980 November 3, 2017 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27108 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12141 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38078 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack