Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random evolution
Random evolution
How random and mindless evolution processes create such complex human minds and bodies?
RE: Random evolution
Evolution is not wholly random . Read a science book . Please fix the wording of your last sentence .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

The random parts of evolution (inheritable variability) are filtered through natural selection (non-random) which filters out organisms poorly adapted to their reproductive environment.

Organisms that don't have a 'drive to survive' are poorly adapted for most reproductive environments that involve being able to move.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Mutations etc are largely random, but the selection pressures that guide them along evolutionary pathways are not.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 31, 2017 at 3:23 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: Please fix the wording of your last sentence .

Yeah; I thought it was a subheading with a misplaced question mark and missing article.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 31, 2017 at 3:25 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The random parts of evolution (inheritable variability) are filtered through natural selection (non-random) which filters out organisms poorly adapted to their reproductive environment.

Organisms that don't have a 'drive to survive' are poorly adapted for most reproductive environments that involve being able to move.

Why organisms are hardwired for survival at all?
Because if they weren't they'd die?
(October 31, 2017 at 3:29 pm)purplepurpose Wrote:
(October 31, 2017 at 3:25 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The random parts of evolution (inheritable variability) are filtered through natural selection (non-random) which filters out organisms poorly adapted to their reproductive environment.

Why organisms are hardwired for survival at all?

Because organisms that don't survive...don't survive.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 31, 2017 at 3:32 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(October 31, 2017 at 3:29 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Why organisms are hardwired for survival at all?

Because organisms that don't survive...don't survive.

I meant to say that even on surface evolution is creepy. Mechanical and mindless evolution created hardwiring for survival at first and then people who wish to live eternally.
It's no more creepy than gravity. A mechanical and mindless force that we can't see permeating the Universe, keeping whole stars, planets and galaxies from flying apart, and only waiting for one slip of the foot on a high ledge to hurl us to a sticky, messy death?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Facebook god post Rahn127 10 1338 June 27, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  4 random arguements for atheism. Dotard 26 10937 August 3, 2009 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Ryft