Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religions Cannot Justify Cruelty To Women!
Religions Cannot Justify Cruelty To Women!
Does anyone need any further evidence that religions are used to keep people (and particularly women) "in their place"?

Quote:The Words Of God Do Not Justify Cruelty To Women
Discrimination and abuse wrongly backed by doctrine are damaging society, argues the former US president
Jimmy Carter
The Observer, Sun 12th July 2009

"Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status ..." (Article 2, Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)

I have been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world.

So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when th e convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service. This was in conflict with my belief - confirmed in the holy scriptures - that we are all equal in the eyes of God.

This view that women are somehow inferior to men is not restricted to one religion or belief. It is widespread. Women are prevented from playing a full and equal role in many faiths.

[Read The Rest Of The Article Here]

I would like to make it clear that I do not believe that our resident theists, Frodo, Dagda and Arcanus would use their beliefs to suppress women's rights i.e. this is not an attack on their views.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Religions Cannot Justify Cruelty To Women!
That power corrupts is a universal fact which touches everything and not just religion.
However...religion is certainly one of the most popular of the things that are touched by it. It's kind of a big thing...and I mean, the bible is the world's best selling book, for instance. Lot of religion around worldwide, lol.

EvF
Damn Kyu, you say that like it's a bad thing.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Quote:Does anyone need any further evidence that religions are used

operative word here is used.
Well done, Jimmy! All he has to do now is find a church or religion that does comply with:

Quote:"Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status ..." (Article 2, Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

Unless he becomes an atheist, of course.

Good luck, Jimmy, you'll need it!
(July 23, 2009 at 9:26 pm)Anto Kennedy Wrote:
Quote:Does anyone need any further evidence that religions are used

operative word here is used.

Whilst the truth is that they are used (present tense) to dominate and abuse women!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
In my opinion you are right, Kyu. Many religious laws were invented by 'holy' men as a convieniant way of maintaining the class system/slavery et al which allowed the religious establishment and its main benifactors to stay in power by assosiating their rule with that of God/gods and hence reducing the legitimacy of any oppossition to that rule. Any time someone disagreed with what the establishment was doing (to woman or otherwise), the lord of the land could dust of his copy of the holy book and point to the specific passage (usally out of context) and hence ensure that they appear to be on the right side.
If your intention was to argument that religion is the only cultural factor that has put women behind men you're wrong. If you are arguing that religion has played a signicant role in the past in this, you're right.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(July 25, 2009 at 2:21 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: If your intention was to argument that religion is the only cultural factor that has put women behind men you're wrong. If you are arguing that religion has played a signicant role in the past in this, you're right.

Totally agree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 32862 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 32560 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How do christens justify child molestation? AngryAtheist666 47 3615 February 15, 2021 at 5:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13305 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1828 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2737 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3473 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11015 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7843 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3709 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus