Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signature Format
Signature Format
I'd like to suggest that signatures in this forum be given some sort of distinctive format, to make it easier to distinguish between post and sig when scanning through a thread. I am not referring to images in the sig, just for the text sigs. Today the sig text often has the same format as a post, are sometimes lengthy, and sometimes include a quote box. I don't know how other forums handle it but I haven't run into this elsewhere, so my guess is there are some best practices not being used here.

Flame on, big sigs-identical-to-posts lovers!
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Signature Format
There are 2 lines that separate the post from the sig... I always thought that it was rather clear to see.
Cunt
Tino, I know what you mean, but after a while I have at least gotten used to who's sig is what and ignore it when reading the posts. But maybe those with only text could oblige you and use a fancy color? Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I keep getting caught out by the sigs that are scrollable. Feverishly bashing on the wheel on my mouse to get to the next post, I am often just scrolling someones signature.
Sort of used to it now though.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(October 4, 2012 at 7:35 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Tino, I know what you mean, but after a while I have at least gotten used to who's sig is what and ignore it when reading the posts. But maybe those with only text could oblige you and use a fancy color? Smile
I like this suggestion a lot for people with signatures that have a lot of text.
Is that better? Now all sigs are surrounded by a faint outline, and "float" at the bottom of the post. Should be easy to tell them apart. Clear your cache if you can't see the change.
There is always the option of not displaying sigs, if it becomes too confusing or distracting. Probably not very polite, seeing as people may have put a lot of effort into them, but a wrinkle worth knowing.

To be honest, I'm finding the latest change more confusing than the old format. I dare say I'll get used to it though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Not sure, have to practice with it for a while, and I understand Stimbo's comment. Is it possible to have that and the separating line? Sorry to muck you about.

Yeah, bring back the double line. Maybe, this may be too much work, allow a switch for those who want, to have their account only display all sigs as different from the forum standard, say a different color background. I realize the programmatic problems with this, but it always seemed to me the board should warn of overly long sigs, or even not accept them (the calculation to determine this would be tricky). On another board I'm on, phpBB, sigs can be any length; people don't abuse it though.

Another thing related though, if I have a signature, I like a default amount of space after my post's text and the signature, and the sig, and also between first line of text and top of post; currently I just add bold tags with the requisite blank lines between them, but it seems bothersome to have to manually do this for every post. (And I think, not sure, when people quote me in replies, without editing the quote, this ends up with unnecessary blank lines in their reply.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Oh, that's much better. I really didn't like that stubby little double line. If anything the grey line here should be a little darker but other than that, nice Great

Edit: And there needs to be a <br /> or two between the post and the sig.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature Question pablo628 12 1203 September 25, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: pablo628
  I can't get my signature to show. Edwardo Piet 7 1827 June 10, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Signature Size Limit Neo-Scholastic 22 3296 February 4, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How do I add a signature? Astonished 2 1006 January 1, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Posting format is different Catholic_Lady 36 3642 December 7, 2016 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Signature sizes fuckass365 8 3694 April 1, 2012 at 4:46 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Gif Signature Skeptical_Nurse 4 3275 November 26, 2011 at 4:36 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Forum Format? Bandoman 2 1460 September 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Bandoman
  Where do those neat signature pics come from? Anymouse 9 5289 June 22, 2011 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Anymouse
  How do you add a Signature? RachelSkates 2 1880 August 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Cego_Colher