Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signature Size Limit
Signature Size Limit
I don't know if this is possible, but I was wondering if signature lines could be limited to a reasonable size. It feel like some members are abusing the signature line by inserting large images and lengthy blocks of text. It really destroys the quality of the user experience. Here I am happily scrolling down a thread and suddenly my quick search grinds to a halt forcing me to scroll through someones signature line for the 100th time.
RE: Signature Size Limit
You can turn them off in the user CP. I have now because they mess up my scrolling (with the mouse wheel... but more in Firefox than Chrome though).

Eta: But I agree with Chad... I would prefer if they were limited in size as well, such that they didn't have their own individual vertical scrollbars... because that's what messes up the scrolling with the mouse wheel; with signatures shorter than that, there's no problem.

Eta2: btw Chad, regarding yours, I've just started a philosophy course and that's part of the syllabus... so I'm finally gonna learn what you've been talking about all this time, and have to evaluate it as part of my course. So hopefully sometime down the line I'll have something useful to say on it Smile
(January 23, 2017 at 9:56 am)emjay Wrote: You can turn them off in the user CP. I have now because they mess up my scrolling (with the mouse wheel... but more in Firefox than Chrome though).

Eta: But I agree with Chad... I would prefer if they were limited in size as well, such that they didn't have their own individual vertical scrollbars... because that's what messes up the scrolling with the mouse wheel; with signatures shorter than that, there's no problem.

Eta2: btw Chad, regarding yours, I've just started a philosophy course and that's part of the syllabus... so I'm finally gonna learn what you've been talking about all this time, and have to evaluate it as part of my course. So hopefully sometime down the line I'll have something useful to say on it Smile

Thanks and I hope your studies go well.
(January 23, 2017 at 9:56 am)emjay Wrote: Eta: But I agree with Chad... I would prefer if they were limited in size as well, such that they didn't have their own individual vertical scrollbars... because that's what messes up the scrolling with the mouse wheel; with signatures shorter than that, there's no problem.

It shouldn't mess up scrolling if your cursor is positioned off to the side, depending on what OS you are using I suppose.

The problem with imposing limits is it's extremely difficult to actually impose them. Number of lines we can do, but image sizes...not easy to determine because the image loads after the rest of the page, so we'd have to involve some JavaScript checks. Then what happens if someone posts 2 images just under the allowed height? We'd have to resort to manually checking and removing images from signatures. I'd rather have the staff put their efforts into post moderation, especially when you can disable signatures.
Lol can we just make it a 'frowned upon' thing? :p

I mean my signature has been telling people what I think about their long signatures for months now but people like to be tacky apparently ;P
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Hey, I could ditch the signature with no regrets. Does mine make for challenging scrolling? I'm assuming this is only a problem on a cell phone because I've never had a problem working on a laptop.
Indeed! Some people have not only no shame, but are very bad graphic designers too.
Turn them off - the most clever saying gets old after the 50th or 60th time you read it.
Yeah, I have them turned off. I don't enjoy talking to people irl when they end every conversation with the same bon mot either.

(January 23, 2017 at 11:56 am)Whateverist Wrote: Hey, I could ditch the signature with no regrets.  Does mine make for challenging scrolling?  I'm assuming this is only a problem on a cell phone because I've never had a problem working on a laptop.

No your isn't too big. It's the ones with their own scroll bars that drive me crazy. I am just scrolling nicely then bam! I'm in another scroll window! It's petty and not really serious just irksome Smile

I don't turn them off cause I like a lot of them too much lol so I reckon I have no room to complain
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature Question pablo628 12 1202 September 25, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: pablo628
  Regarding the post edit time limit of absolute Doom ErGingerbreadMandude 103 9218 August 11, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  I can't get my signature to show. Edwardo Piet 7 1827 June 10, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How do I add a signature? Astonished 2 1005 January 1, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  PM Recipient limit and auto-fill Clueless Morgan 0 1024 May 27, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  The maximum server load limit has been reached... c172 7 2483 July 16, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Limit to private messages? dahrling 11 2625 May 5, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  HELP My font size has shrunk and I can read it without a magnifying glass là bạn điên 10 2899 January 31, 2014 at 6:49 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Siggy width limit? houseofcantor 7 2085 January 30, 2014 at 12:46 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Signature Format Tino 122 29410 October 14, 2012 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda