Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates
Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates
After a number of complaints and a lot of staff discussion, we are revising our current "No Preaching" rule. This is to remove perceived unfairness and ambiguity when it comes to theistic members discussing their beliefs. From now on, the following rule applies:
Quote:Preaching is not permitted. Preaching is defined as a post that fulfills all the following requirements:
  • Includes a threat if a particular statement is not agreed with.
  • Fails to justify said threat with evidence.
  • Is repetitive.
  • Directed at forum members, rather than a general description of beliefs.
  • Uses negative connotations.
  • Is not in response to a query regarding personal beliefs.

We are also changing the way we use punishments for rule-breaking. Previously we have used warnings, which then turn into post moderation (all posts have to be approved before they appear), spending time in the Gauntlet, and then banning. Whilst warnings are a good way to remind people to behave, post moderation simply puts a lot more work on the staff, especially when most posts are fine. The Gauntlet was a good experiment, but unfortunately most people who are put there see it as a last chance to abuse rules or complain about staff. It is rare that a person put into the Gauntlet will be allowed back into the regular forums.

Thus, we have decided to scrap post moderation and close The Gauntlet. From now on, the following punishment system will be in place:

- Verbal warnings for first-time offenders.
- Actual warnings for repeat offenders.
- Temporary bans (2 weeks / 1 month) for people who gain a number of warnings in a short period of time, or who show no change in behaviour over a long period of time.
- Permanent ban for people who continue to abuse the rules despite being banned previously.

Of course, the staff reserve the right to skip steps in the punishment system if they feel it is appropriate (e.g. obvious spammers and bots are permanently banned immediately).

The Pit will now be comprised of R'lyeh and Area 69 only.
RE: Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates
Awwww, damn. But the Gauntlet was so much fun!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Thank you, In whatever operating system we have there will be times that anomalies will be thrown up, as such the ability to change course is not a depiction that there is anything wrong, but rather that the administration is on its toes and is really good.
I have to say from my prospective this forum is run excellently.
And thank you everybody who helps this be so, I appreciate the hard work time and money you all put into this enterprise.
I understand.

I'll try and keep my preaching to a minimum. Wink

In all actuality, I get why these changes are being put into place and clarifying the rules is never a bad thing.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Will the Gauntlet threads already there stay? Or is the Gauntlet being deleted? (I'm assuming the first, but the wording you used didn't necessarly suggest this)
I won't miss The Gauntlet, generally by the time people who got sent there had whined for pages and pages about the unjustness of it all, I wanted them to get banned permanently even if I previously liked them.
Damnit! I was setting Raph up for a beauty!
I don't think anyone survived the blast. I think the non-active members in there got banned. I can remember at least one non-active member who was pink and he's now banned. I don't know if it is permanent, but they probably weren't going to come back anyway.
(October 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm)Darkstar Wrote: I don't think anyone survived the blast. I think the non-active members in there got banned. I can remember at least one non-active member who was pink and he's now banned. I don't know if it is permanent, but they probably weren't going to come back anyway.

As far as I know, the only actions today were those already announced. That particular member was banned some months ago if my memory is correct.
Nah. I found a load of members who were still in the Gauntlet and had simply opted to not return. They are all now banned.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Hate Speech, rule 7 arewethereyet 24 2379 September 21, 2023 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6363 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  PSA: Added to threats rule arewethereyet 8 2782 May 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  PSA: The Necroposting Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 42 6407 April 6, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: brewer
  PSA - Clarification of rule #3 on doxxing. arewethereyet 18 3606 November 17, 2021 at 5:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6291 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  [Serious] Proposing A Rule Change BrianSoddingBoru4 24 4863 June 11, 2020 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  PSA: New Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 75 13490 July 22, 2019 at 8:19 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The 30/30 rule Losty 3 1259 June 27, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Pedophilia Rule Modification Tiberius 3 1168 June 27, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: robvalue