Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank God For Evolution
Thank God For Evolution
I don't understand why fundamental creationists exist. Who are you to say how your god created us? Isn't it more logical to assume that what you observe in the natural world is what your god intended the universe to be like? So if it looks like we evolved into what we are now, then shouldn't you just go with it and continue to praise your god?

I don't understand this obsession of wanting the Bible to be literal. Aside from making one slightly arrogant--because you say you know exactly how everything happened and discard entire fields of science that are so well established--one is also blocking out what their god has created. I'm pretty sure if you so boldly believe there's an intelligent designer then the wisest thing to do is to put the damn book down and observe what your god has created. And if you believe there's a contradiction between what's observed and what's being described in the book, then guess what, your god is most likely not real then. Why would a god describe its creation in one way but then create it in such a way that doesn't match the description? That's very deceitful, like what Satan wou--oh wait.. hmmmmm.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Thank God For Evolution
(October 28, 2012 at 3:21 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I don't understand why fundamental creationists exist.

You cannot be serious...
(October 28, 2012 at 3:25 am)Spectrum Wrote:
(October 28, 2012 at 3:21 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I don't understand why fundamental creationists exist.

You cannot be serious...

Dead serious.

1) God created the universe
2) God described the universe (Gen 1)
3) Observations of the universe do not match a literal interpretation of Gen 1
-----------------
C1) The Judeo-Christian god does not exist
OR
C2) The interpretation is wrong for God does not deceive

I'm pretty sure I know which one the theists would choose, therefore removing any chance of having fundamental creationists.
EDIT: or are you saying you can justify their beliefs?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(October 28, 2012 at 3:37 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(October 28, 2012 at 3:25 am)Spectrum Wrote: You cannot be serious...

Dead serious.

-----------------
OR

I'm pretty sure I know which one the theists would choose, therefore removing any chance of having fundamental creationists.

No, not that. You said you cannot believe they exist.... It's pretty easy to see how they do.
(October 28, 2012 at 3:42 am)Spectrum Wrote:
(October 28, 2012 at 3:37 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Dead serious.

-----------------
OR

No, not that. You said you cannot believe they exist.... It's pretty easy to see how they do.

I refuse to believe people are "stupid", if that's what you're implying. Everyone has their reasons for believing, whether right or wrong. I know this from experience of having faith myself, and once those reasons for having faith are shown to be flawed then that's when you can let go of what you thought was a perfectly logical stance. In saying all this, there must be bits and pieces that creationists hold on to which they believe show the earth is young/evolution is false. The trick is finding out those reasons and exposing them, hence why I wrote this thread, because I can't possibly see how one can be a creationist given what I've outlined. Therefore, there will be some cognitive dissonance and hopefully their reasons for believing what they believe will surface...

The bible is a shibboleth. Shibboleths depend on proper utterance for validity. An invalid shibboleth means death. Death is bad.

Tomorrow's lecture: Why water is still wet....

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 28, 2012 at 3:49 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I refuse to believe people are "stupid", if that's what you're implying.

Do you believe that there are people born with low IQ's? Do you believe poor nutrition and low resources can contribute to low IQ?
(October 28, 2012 at 3:53 am)Spectrum Wrote:
(October 28, 2012 at 3:49 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I refuse to believe people are "stupid", if that's what you're implying.

Do you believe that there are people born with low IQ's? Do you believe poor nutrition and low resources can contribute to low IQ?

Yes, but you're being biased in the conclusion you're about to make. Do you believe there's a good chance there are creationist rocket scientists with an IQ higher than yours?
(October 28, 2012 at 3:53 am)Spectrum Wrote:

Under heaven all can see beauty as beauty only because there is ugliness.
All can know good as good only because there is evil.
Therefore having and not having arise together.
Difficult and easy complement each other.
Long and short contrast each other:
High and low rest upon each other;
Voice and sound harmonize each other;
Front and back follow one another.

Therefore the sage goes about doing nothing, teaching no-talking.
The ten thousand things rise and fall without cease,
Creating, yet not.
Working, yet not taking credit.
Work is done, then forgotten.
Therefore it lasts forever.

— Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, Ch. 2

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 28, 2012 at 3:57 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(October 28, 2012 at 3:53 am)Spectrum Wrote: Do you believe that there are people born with low IQ's? Do you believe poor nutrition and low resources can contribute to low IQ?

Yes, but you're being biased in the conclusion you're about to make. Do you believe there's a good chance there are creationist rocket scientists with an IQ higher than yours?

How do you go from "I don't believe people are stupid", to talking about rocket scientists?

And yes, I believe that. Newton wasn't an atheist, and I have nothing on him in terms of IQ.

My point is that you shouldn't be in disbelief that creationists exist. The Abrahamic faiths were forced onto people for centuries on end, and for the longest time, nothing could be done about it. It's no surprise that supporters of these religions still exist, nor is it surprising that they are still so dogmatic. The Abrahamic faiths are a scourge that have collectively raped Germanic, Greek, Slavic, Persian, and many other ethnic groups alike.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution "fails" AKA "where god seems to have got it wrong" Duty 44 2125 February 6, 2022 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  God used Evolution to create man pgardner2358 8 642 June 9, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30308 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger