Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guitar and Bass players
Guitar and Bass players
Am I alone?
RE: Guitar and Bass players
I used to play guitar regularly but I hardly ever do it anymore; I can't find the time.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I've been playing electric guitar since I was nine, so this year that makes it 12 years of playing, but with the last 6 or so being serious about it.

My gear:

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard & American Fender Telecaster Special // One day I will get a Gibson, because that's my last name :p
Pedals: Boss GT-10 multi-fx pedal. // saving up for an entire set up of single pedals...rather costly, but getting there.
Amp: Orange Rockerverb 30 head & Marshall 4x12 1960A vintage cab

I play for two bands at the moment and have an instrumental side project as well. I wish I could show you my work and bands, but unfortunately that means I will not be anonymous anymore, which I would rather be on here. But there you go... I <3 music.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Playing guitar is about all I actually do... I iz a blues man, yo. Wink
Cunt
I've played guitar for about 15 years. I have a few styles of Ibanez electrics and an Epiphone SG. My style of play is more like a full contact sport; mostly blues based hard rock with a smattering of metal (Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Van Halen, G 'n R, etc).

I haven't touched any of my guitars since February. I bought a bass to support a three piece and found that I really enjoy it. The guitarist is basically a rhythm player which gives me a lot of room in classic rock songs (Doobie Brothers, Cream, Skynyrd, Stones, etc.) to be creative with the lines.

When I practice bass alone I find that I'm attracted to learning more funk and older R&B lines (Brothers Johnson, Duck Dunn, EW&F, some Motown, Stevie Wonder, Bee Gees).
(October 29, 2012 at 6:38 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I used to play guitar regularly but I hardly ever do it anymore; I can't find the time.

I know how that is. I think it's rewarding to pick it up when possible, even when life is demanding a lot. Lost sleep can be worth it.

(October 29, 2012 at 8:44 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I've been playing electric guitar since I was nine, so this year that makes it 12 years of playing, but with the last 6 or so being serious about it.

My gear:

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard & American Fender Telecaster Special // One day I will get a Gibson, because that's my last name :p
Pedals: Boss GT-10 multi-fx pedal. // saving up for an entire set up of single pedals...rather costly, but getting there.
Amp: Orange Rockerverb 30 head & Marshall 4x12 1960A vintage cab

I play for two bands at the moment and have an instrumental side project as well. I wish I could show you my work and bands, but unfortunately that means I will not be anonymous anymore, which I would rather be on here. But there you go... I <3 music.

Nice!
I understand the need for anonymity. Can you tell us more about your projects, then?

Also, how is the Orange? I really love their cabs, but I've never experienced anything out of their heads. I hear great things, though. Supposedly, the blues tones are superb, and the rock tones can rival Marshall. Is this true?

(October 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm)frankiej Wrote: Playing guitar is about all I actually do... I iz a blues man, yo. Wink

Cool. Is blues all you do?

(October 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm)cato123 Wrote: I've played guitar for about 15 years. I have a few styles of Ibanez electrics and an Epiphone SG. My style of play is more like a full contact sport; mostly blues based hard rock with a smattering of metal (Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Van Halen, G 'n R, etc).

I haven't touched any of my guitars since February. I bought a bass to support a three piece and found that I really enjoy it. The guitarist is basically a rhythm player which gives me a lot of room in classic rock songs (Doobie Brothers, Cream, Skynyrd, Stones, etc.) to be creative with the lines.

When I practice bass alone I find that I'm attracted to learning more funk and older R&B lines (Brothers Johnson, Duck Dunn, EW&F, some Motown, Stevie Wonder, Bee Gees).

Do you like Motorhead? I'd imagine you would, if you like hard rock, blues, and metal. Unless you are against the punk elements, I don't see why you wouldn't like Motorhead. I can't say I'm big on blues, but I don't mind it either. It depends. I love some of the "psychedelic" stuff, like that from The Doors and The Who. I am also pretty big on Led Zeppelin. However, I couldn't get into Hendrix. I suppose if the melodies are largely overtaken by the blues style, then I get a bit turned off. So, I cannot really enjoy much "pure blues". Concerning Ibanez, what are your experiences and favorites? I own an Ibanez. It's an 80's era star-shaped Destroyer. I plan to put some Dimarzios in it at some point. I really like the RG Prestige line, Sabre series, JEM's, and Satriani's signatures. If I had more money, I'd own some for sure. Playing them in the store was just a blast.

Sounds exciting. How was the transition? I have considered picking up bass at some point. Do you still pick, or have you been using your fingers? There is a wide debate about that. I guess it boils down to preference and the sound you want.

I don't blame you. Funk is probably one of the best genres for bass, if not the best. Old hardcore/later punk (Black Flag, Cro Mags, Dead Kennedys) is actually great for bass too, surprisingly enough. Of course, I am being very stereotypical about all of this.
(October 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm)Spectrum Wrote:
(October 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm)frankiej Wrote: Playing guitar is about all I actually do... I iz a blues man, yo. Wink

Cool. Is blues all you do?

Nope. I dabble in jazz, hard rock, funk, country, classical... the list goes on. Pretty much whatever conveys my emotions best at that particular time.
Cunt
Hovik plays a little guitar when he fancies it. Most of the stuff he plays is pleasantly stringy.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(October 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm)Spectrum Wrote: Do you like Motorhead? I'd imagine you would, if you like hard rock, blues, and metal. Unless you are against the punk elements, I don't see why you wouldn't like Motorhead. I can't say I'm big on blues, but I don't mind it either. It depends. I love some of the "psychedelic" stuff, like that from The Doors and The Who. I am also pretty big on Led Zeppelin. However, I couldn't get into Hendrix. I suppose if the melodies are largely overtaken by the blues style, then I get a bit turned off. So, I cannot really enjoy much "pure blues". Concerning Ibanez, what are your experiences and favorites? I own an Ibanez. It's an 80's era star-shaped Destroyer. I plan to put some Dimarzios in it at some point. I really like the RG Prestige line, Sabre series, JEM's, and Satriani's signatures. If I had more money, I'd own some for sure. Playing them in the store was just a blast.

Sounds exciting. How was the transition? I have considered picking up bass at some point. Do you still pick, or have you been using your fingers? There is a wide debate about that. I guess it boils down to preference and the sound you want.

I don't blame you. Funk is probably one of the best genres for bass, if not the best. Old hardcore/later punk (Black Flag, Cro Mags, Dead Kennedys) is actually great for bass too, surprisingly enough. Of course, I am being very stereotypical about all of this.

My favorite is an RG407DX with a floyd rose that I bought in '97. Believe it or not I still have the original pickups in it. I've replaced frets and floyd rose parts over the years. I've also been through two selector switches, but I'll never give it up...even if I could afford something higher end. Two years ago I got an AF105 to start learning some jazz. I just don't think you can beat the quality for the price with Ibanez which is why I bought an Ibanez bass. Someday they'll make me a signature model....he he.

Lemmy rocks and I love punk. The Dead Kennedys were my first exposure to punk so I had to work backwards in the 80s to get to the Stooges, Sex Pistols, Ramones and the rest. I just can't get the guys to play any even though I think it would be perfect and loads of fun for where we all are musically talent wise.

I might start using the pick. I swore off it when I started to force myself to learn the technique of using my fingers. The transition has been fun. I'm actually more tuned into what the entire band is doing, not just because of the bass' responsibility as part of the rhythm section, but also from a music theory standpoint. I guess the last part comes from the 'sound space' I have to fuck with the songs a bit.
Nah, not at all, I play a little guitar, a little mandolin, a little fiddle, and a little dulcimer. All cheap, none worthy of geeking out over.
(mostly bluegrass and folk music..a little CCR)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Favorite Synthesizer Ever Versus an Electric Bass Guitar: Edwardo Piet 9 1928 September 25, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Rainbow me playing some fucking brutal guitar Funt Clap 3 1115 November 24, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  My Guitar Videos wolf39us 21 3961 July 11, 2014 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: wolf39us
  Best guitar playing you will ever see Napoléon 1 1021 June 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  So I bought a guitar popeyespappy 17 4600 April 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Drum And Bass HeyItsZeus 0 948 June 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus
  Santana - Guitar Heaven Paul the Human 0 1200 October 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Paul the Human
  guitar players? Disinter 20 6186 April 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Pippy