Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stihl Power Tools Fan Thread
Stihl Power Tools Fan Thread
It's time to formally recognize the Germans for more than just excellent design and manufacture of cars, but also for gas power tools, as evidenced by the Stihl brand. I've had one of their gas chainsaws for years and it just always works great, despite infrequent use and iffy maintenance. Today I had to buy a gas leaf blower (Tino stimulating the economy - go me!) and there was no question but to buy another Stihl product, which was a pleasure to use. Better yet they manufacture them locally here in Virginia. Any other Stihl fans out there?

[Image: SmallMood.png]
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Stihl Power Tools Fan Thread
I have a Stihl chainsaw up on my rural property up north. Despite being stored in a former chicken coop (read: practically outdoors), it starts reliably whenever I need it (read: when I'm motivated to cut brush), which is generally only once every couple of years.
(November 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I have a Stihl chainsaw up on my rural property up north. Despite being stored in a former chicken coop (read: practically outdoors), it starts reliably whenever I need it (read: when I'm motivated to cut brush), which is generally only once every couple of years.

Yes, that's why I love them.
(November 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm)Tino Wrote:
(November 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I have a Stihl chainsaw up on my rural property up north. Despite being stored in a former chicken coop (read: practically outdoors), it starts reliably whenever I need it (read: when I'm motivated to cut brush), which is generally only once every couple of years.

Yes, that's why I love them.

The engineers who designed the thing would be appalled at my lack of care and maintenance. A little bar oil before I use it, gasoline and 2-cycle oil, and occasional sharpening... and when I'm done, it goes under a tarp in the coop.
When I was working as a landscape gardener they were always the manufacturer of first choice.
We bought a place out in the country with several acres in 93, and I bought a Stihl weed eater the first spring we were there. Sometime shortly after we had a big ice storm and I bought a small (12" bar) Stihl saw to clean up the mess. The saw hasn't seen a lot of use but it still works fine. I used it this spring on a maple in mom's yard that had been killed by beetles. Before I came out here to Corpus Christi I was using the now pushing 20 year old weed eater to do 3 yards. Love my Stihls. I've also got a Husqvarna blower that I'm way less than impressed with. It's run good for years, but the damn thing probably has the worst ergonomics of any power tool I've ever used. I keep hoping it's going to die one of these days so I can replace it but so far no such luck.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(November 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: We bought a place out in the country with several acres in 93, and I bought a Stihl weed eater the first spring we were there. Sometime shortly after we had a big ice storm and I bought a small (12" bar) Stihl saw to clean up the mess. The saw hasn't seen a lot of use but it still works fine. I used it this spring on a maple in mom's yard that had been killed by beetles. Before I came out here to Corpus Christi I was using the now pushing 20 year old weed eater to do 3 yards. Love my Stihls. I've also got a Husqvarna blower that I'm way less than impressed with. It's run good for years, but the damn thing probably has the worst ergonomics of any power tool I've ever used. I keep hoping it's going to die one of these days so I can replace it but so far no such luck.

Yes, Husqvarna is Swedish crap designed for the oddly proportioned. It annoys me that they use Stihl's distinctive orange color scheme on their products.
(November 3, 2012 at 8:18 am)Tino Wrote: Yes, Husqvarna is Swedish crap designed for the oddly proportioned.

Yeah, we swedes are oddly proportioned. My girlfriend seems to enjoy it though Wink Shades
Mention of chainsaws invariably reminds me of Dolmar.

[Image: 10-dolmette-chainsaw-motorcycle.jpg]
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Did someone saw..... CCCCHHHHainsaw!!
[Image: chainsawsally1.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don't underestimate the power of the dork side Foxaèr 17 746 March 7, 2021 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What to get an ABBA fan for their birthday. Brian37 30 2125 September 17, 2019 at 5:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Power Outages onlinebiker 15 1708 February 11, 2019 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Marozz
  Star Wars fan film: Darth Vader: Episode 1 Shards ofthe Past Cepheus Ace 5 517 December 23, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4076 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Maybe the Shit should hit the Fan fromdownunder 2 527 September 12, 2018 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The power of change Foxaèr 11 1532 April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I Used To Be A Fan But I Am Now Shocked, Disgusted And Appalled With Sam Harris Edwardo Piet 127 26336 March 23, 2018 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What if you had the power to reinvent money ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4466 October 8, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Power Struggle with Roommate; Need Advice InquiringMind 16 2884 April 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious