Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Outages
Power Outages
Are these a thing where you live? If so - how do you cope?

We lose commercial power more than most. It went out last night - and is still out.

I simply fired up our inverter - and ran on batteries last night. Commercial power was still out this morning. I fired up the generator, got water pressure up - got the water heated - and started recharging the batteries.

Such fun.

Then to make shit really interesting - a buddy just called. His car died. He' s having it towed here for me to look at.

Panic
RE: Power Outages
Kamikaze squirrels are our only issue. Living in the burbs means the company is right on any outage.
Between ash borers, ice storms, and uncharacteristically strong winds the lines go down alot.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 8, 2019 at 8:30 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Are these a thing where you live? If so - how do you cope?

We lose commercial power more than most. It went out last night - and is still out.

I simply fired up our inverter - and ran on batteries last night. Commercial power was still out this morning. I fired up the generator, got water pressure up - got the water heated - and started recharging the batteries.

Such fun.

Then to make shit really interesting - a buddy just called. His car died. He' s having it towed here for me to look at.

Panic

Around here the power is not out very often and usually for less than an hour. When I was a kid, I enjoyed the power outages that would last anywhere from 1 to 5 days. Everything was an adventure back then.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
I can' t imagine kids these days enjoying a power outage.

It' s not like they ever go outside...

Wink
Gas for heat and a generator to keep power to the fridges and the furnace blower. Pop the main breakers and plug in the generator. But that means lighting the kitchen stove with a match. Panic And no internet. But we've never been without power for more than a day.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(February 9, 2019 at 7:27 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I can' t imagine kids these days enjoying a power outage.

Wink

I'm creeped out by today's kids. There's something wrong with kids that don't want to go outside. Admittedly, I grew up on a 160 acre farm so I my playground was larger than that of most children. But when we visited my cousins who lived in a small town, it was also all about being outside. Kids were roaming the sidewalks of the small town and playing in the nearby woods. Mothers didn't want their children in the house. If you tried to hang out in the house all day, you were likely to get kicked out.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(February 9, 2019 at 11:54 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(February 9, 2019 at 7:27 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I can' t imagine kids these days enjoying a power outage.

Wink

I'm creeped out by today's kids. There's something wrong with kids that don't want to go outside. Admittedly, I grew up on a 160 acre farm so I my playground was larger than that of most children. But when we visited my cousins who lived in a small town, it was also all about being outside. Kids were roaming the sidewalks of the small town and playing in the nearby woods. Mothers didn't want their children in the house. If you tried to hang out in the house all day, you were likely to get kicked out.

You can't really put all the responsibility on 'today's kids'.  Parents don't let their kids be free range any more due to the fear of things like stranger danger.  And many areas aren't set up for kids to play outside.  The neighborhoods in many suburbs are set up with postage stamp sized yards surrounded by tall privacy fences...not exactly conducive to running from yard to yard to play with friends.  As a kid we rode bikes, roller and ice skated, went sledding, played pick up baseball or games of 500, played or fished in the creek...we were outside as much as possible with the street light rule for returning home.  

My kids played outside but my grandkids (two of them at least) live in areas where there isn't anywhere to play outside other than the middle of the street. The other two live in the country are more likely to be outside. Parents also seem to prefer activities they pay for...sports, dance, cheerleading...not make it up as you go along freeform fun for kids.

As for power outages (the OP), they are few and far between here and don't last long when they occur.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

We had a brief (about an hour) outage here Friday.  Some lackwit drove a lorry into a power pole.  Other than that, hardly ever.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Some 20 years ago it happened alot here. Since they installed those bigass fans across the hills, there are no outages except in heavy big ass storms. We are even spotting tornadoes in Portugal. Do we have to import everything?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don't underestimate the power of the dork side Foxaèr 17 690 March 7, 2021 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The power of change Foxaèr 11 1521 April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What if you had the power to reinvent money ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4448 October 8, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Power Struggle with Roommate; Need Advice InquiringMind 16 2823 April 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  The Power of Introverts Vincenzo Vinny G. 5 1623 December 5, 2012 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Stihl Power Tools Fan Thread Tino 10 4575 November 4, 2012 at 4:01 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Waiting for the Power to Go Out Tino 45 7281 November 1, 2012 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Tino
  The Power of Now FallentoReason 12 7990 September 8, 2012 at 9:54 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
Question What is your favorite super power reverendjeremiah 35 10794 May 3, 2011 at 12:12 am
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Ahh, the power of cheese. jonathanwithaj 1 1070 August 19, 2009 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Dotard