Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you really move to Canada if your candidate loses?
Can you really move to Canada if your candidate loses?
Can Americans actually move to Canada?

Yes... but Americans obviously can't show up at the border and expect a welcome mat. The main ways foreigners become Canadian residents are by marrying a Canadian citizen or receiving a job offer. Other options include possessing work expertise that is lacking in Canada, or promising to invest a lot of cash in a new Canadian business. Those fleeing America could also theoretically claim refugee status based on a "fear of persecution." However, despite the various doomsday scenarios concocted by both liberals and conservatives, it would be a stretch to make such a claim just because your presidential candidate didn't win.

http://theweek.com/article/index/235878/...date-loses
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Can you really move to Canada if your candidate loses?
I wouldn't want to move to Canada... If I'm going to leave the US I'd go to Europe.
Would Canada want anyone who wishes Romney to have won?

(November 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm)festive1 Wrote: I wouldn't want to move to Canada... If I'm going to leave the US I'd go to Europe.

The only place worth going to in Europe is Germany. There would be no opportunities in any of her colonies.

Big Grin

As to US, UK, France and Russia defeating German. Who is winning now? Big Grin
Nah - Canada's too cold. I already live in a shithole red state run by racist asswipes including a dried up old cunt of a governor with a double-digit IQ. How much worse could it get?

The only thing I wonder is why hasn't the UN sent in observers to make sure that our elections are fair? They do that with most other 3d world countries.
Funnily enough, Germany would be my first choice. I have no job or language skills, though. And hubby, the eternal optimist, wouldn't leave the US even if a full-scale revolution broke out. It's a pipe dream, but it's MY pipe dream. We've discussed becoming ex-pats in Africa when we're both retired though...
Canada might be the closest, but eh...I'm already almost IN Canada up here anyway.

My family might move to Europe after my husband finishes his computer science degree, regardless of this election. Programmers (good ones) are desired in many countries. It isn't because of one candidate winning over another, but just moving to where people have more progressive views (Democrats are far from progressive, obviously), and a better future for our daughter, in general.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I'm considering it, I really am. My biggest worry is that Romney puts his people on the supreme court and they overturn Lawrence v Texas (the supreme court case from 2003 that says states can't make consensual sex between same sex partners a crime).

I'll be honest, this does rely on a few 'if' statements, but most of them are pretty likely. There's the 'if' for Romney winning (which probably won't happen, but it will be close). The 'if' about Romney being able to put a justice on the supreme court (however, given their ages, that's pretty likely; if one doesn't retire, death can always force someone off the court). The 'if' about a case being brought before the court that would overturn that case (however, I know there are some extremely well funded groups out there who are extremely homophobic and if they think they have a chance to do it, they'll bring any case they can before the court to try to overturn that case). Even an 'if' statement about my state making homosexuality a crime (but since Texas is one of the most conservative states in the union, that's extremely likely).

Another option is to look at moving to a different state where homosexuality isn't criminalized, but that would be decided by how things are in the rest of the country. I mean, as of now, I'm a student who depends on pell grants for school; I depend on a community health care center that is partially funded by federal grants for my medication/health care. If funding is removed from areas like that, it puts me in a very difficult spot and it pushes me more towards Canada.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
You Americans are living in a dream world, move to Canada indeed! None of you have the technical skills to compete with this man!

I wouldn't move to Canada due to the results of an election, that would be silly from my perspective.

I have thought about moving to B.C. - I've visited several times (Vancouver and Vancouver Island) and love the area, and my mom's side of the family has Canadian roots (her parents immigrated to the U.S. via Canada).

I may joke about leaving the U.S., but I still have hope that the problems we have (and there are many) can be fixed, and I have deep roots here.
(November 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm)TaraJo Wrote: I'm considering it, I really am. My biggest worry is that Romney puts his people on the supreme court and they overturn Lawrence v Texas (the supreme court case from 2003 that says states can't make consensual sex between same sex partners a crime).

I feel similarly about the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Even though I live in a state that would most likely still allow safe abortion, do I really want to live in a country where some women wouldn't have access? For instance, Mississippi or Wyoming. Is it right, just, or fair that women living in these states, upon an overturning of Roe v. Wade, would likely lose their access to legal and safe abortions? The argument would be made that they could just travel to have an abortion, while completely denying the reality that a lot of these women wouldn't have the means or the ability to take off of work to travel for such a procedure.
It comes down to state's rights. Do states have the right to deny a minority (women, in this case) within that state the ability to make decisions regarding their own health? Do states have the right to deny a minority (homosexuals, in Tara's case) the right to have sexual relations with another consenting adult? Nay.
We're supposed to be a nation of religious tolerance, however, Christians often fail to view people of other faiths or no faith at all as beneath them. The arguments against abortion and homosexual activity are completely grounded in Christian morality, which doesn't jibe with the morality of a lot of Americans.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things you buy and never really use Theswordismyleopard 28 1870 September 1, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Canada Memes .....EH The Architect Of Fate 47 2880 August 4, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Crossing into Canada EgoDeath 5 576 November 22, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 2960 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You can tell it' s REALLY cold out when - onlinebiker 13 1342 January 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Move over Movember. JanuHairy is here! ignoramus 2 410 January 22, 2019 at 10:17 am
Last Post: brewer
  How can you succeed in your life? KarlFedren 21 1534 March 7, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2151 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How many pillows do you sleep with, how do you use them & which can't you do without? Whateverist 31 2232 September 29, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Joods
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the Last 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? vorlon13 30 6654 August 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: mlmooney89