Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dumbass parents doubt evolution
My dumbass parents doubt evolution
Hello freethinkers,

I'm 16 and my parents are fundamental christians. They do not believe in evolution.
I haven't even told them I believe in evolution!
(They'd flip out and send me to talk to one of our pastors)
...they don't even know I'm atheist
RE: My dumbass parents doubt evolution
My suggestion... Don't.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
You could try reasoning with them and going over scientfic material, which has a very low probability of success. When that fails...it's time to go to plan 2 shown below....

Grab 5-8 copies of The Origin of Species and bundle them into a brick. Then, put the brick in a pillowcase and thwack your parents over the head several times.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
You're only 16, this mess is too sticky to touch right now. Wait until you're older and on your own.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Well...I'm glad you found us then. But yes, I'd say be quiet about it until you're out of college, living on your own and have a stable job. Then no one can hold anything over you.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
More aptly - by then, you'll have found someone else to hold things over you, which may not be entirely unpleasant....and you won't spend much time worrying about whether or not mom and dad have a solid grasp of biology.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well, not religious things hopefully. Relationship things are an entirely different rabid animal.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Quote:(They'd flip out and send me to talk to one of our pastors)

He doesn't know shit about evolution, either. Welcome, lad. Relax. You can speak freely here even if you can't at home.
Welcome
It's sad that some people still don't accept evolution.
Catholic Church and evolution
Quote:Today, the Church's unofficial position is an example of theistic evolution, also known as evolutionary creation, stating that faith and scientific findings regarding human evolution are not in conflict, though humans are regarded as a special creation, and that the existence of God is required to explain both monogenism and the spiritual component of human origins. Moreover, the Church teaches that the process of evolution is a planned and purpose-driven natural process, actively guided by God.

I'm still not sure if you should tell them, though. Fundamentalists can be quite irrational...
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I also support not voicing your views until you are independent from your family. But welcome! And feel free to vent any time!