Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying Hello!
Saying Hello!
Good Afternoon All,

My name is Dan; I'm 27 from Manchester in the UK.

Thought it best to introduce myself here before trawling through previous topics and posts etc, as per the admin request.

Anyway, I think I've always been an atheist without necessarily knowing it as a child. I was raised in a fairly relaxed home on the religion front although attended C of E (Church of England) primary schools (assuming most of you are American I think you refer to these as Elementary Schools?) and High Schools. Although I would refer to myself (previously) as a protestant, the idea of religion just never sat right with me.
My Mum was from a Catholic background although the Catholic side came from here Irish Dad (obviously my granddad) who unfortunately died at the age of 35. My Gran then raised 3 kids on her own running 3 jobs to keep things moving and I presume never really had time to follow religion. Well to be honest according to my mum she "hated god" for taking my Granddad from her.
My Dad's side of the family are not very religious either, although in his aging years my Granddad is attended church since losing my Grandma a few years back. Maybe more for the social side, I'm not sure. Either way he seems to like it and I wouldn’t be-grudge him enjoying his self by attending a Christian church.

Hopefully I'm not boring everyone, haha? Anyway I had further doubts in religion at my grandma's funeral looking round the room at broken hearted family members whilst the vicar rambled on about how she had gone to a better place with the people who loved her.
I think whilst emotional with grief I remember becoming very, very angry thinking “who is this condescending man telling my family that she is in a better place with the people who loved her”, when everyone that meant the most to her was in that room!? I think this was a major turning point towards me shaking off any form of ties to a religious background.
I must admit I thought I believed in a god as a child, but looking back now I think this was purely down to the way I was taught at school as a child and when I actually sat down and thought about it, I found that I couldn’t justify any reason for following a religion / any justification for a divine creator watching over me.
As I got older taking Biology at school and then A Level Biology reading about evolution and Darwin things began to fall into place for me. An Atheist emerged.

Reading Dawkins’s “The God Delusion” pretty much word for word put into context my own views on the world / religion and opened my mind to a few other things I had never thought of. So, I would certainly like to thank him for his book.

So there you go that’s where I am right now, hopefully you managed to stay with me through my ramblings to this point? Look forward to speaking to you in the future.

Dan
Gods don't Kill People! People with Gods Kill People!!!!
RE: Saying Hello!
Nice one geezer ... this is a UK forum BTW and as far as I can tell most of the regular denizens are resident in the British Isles.

Welcome to the forum.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Hello Dan. Welcome to the forum.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Indeed....another atheist is always welcome.

(As opposed to these sniveling believers!)
Welcome. Your intro was informative yet condensed and a good read.

I look forward to your postings.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Hey welcome to the forum.
(August 10, 2009 at 8:48 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Nice one geezer ... this is a UK forum BTW and as far as I can tell most of the regular denizens are resident in the British Isles.
I wouldn't say we were a "UK forum". It's hosted by my server which happens to be in England, but I think we've grown quite considerably to include a large number of "foreign" atheists.
Welcome to the forums SocialChameleon. Good post, and I agree about how great a book The God Delusion is. It's my favourite book Big Grin

EvF
Welcome to the forums.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Thanks for the responses folks.
Gods don't Kill People! People with Gods Kill People!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm not saying I'm Jesus... earmuffs 17 1009 October 31, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi.... TonyPhotographer 11 1598 November 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Saying hello for the 1st time ThePrimeSingularity 15 2582 November 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New(ish) guy saying hi What_the?! 16 2815 October 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  New Member saying hello from Texas Caveman 10 3512 August 16, 2013 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Fruity
  Lifelong Atheist Saying Hello Hijiri Byakuren 13 2625 August 2, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Saying "Hi" WitchSabrina 27 5527 February 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Just saying hi... Captain Jack Zodiac 11 1856 August 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: MountOlympus
  Just saying hi nous 5 1396 July 27, 2012 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Saying hi JudgeDracoAmunRa 9 2527 January 11, 2012 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Napoléon