Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying hello for the 1st time
Saying hello for the 1st time
Hi there... Rob here. I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I'm middle-aged and devilishly handsome. Cool Shades

I've been seriously studying atheism and atheists for about 8 years. I'm a fan of Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Dan Dennett, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Matt Dilahunty, Penn Jilette, George Carlin and some others who's names are escaping me at the moment.

My personal journey goes something like this: Raised Catholic (Catholic Grammar School and High School taught by nuns, brothers and priests); Agnosticism (which, for a long time, I thought was simply a fancy word for "I don't know what, if anything I believe"); several years exploring Shamanism (Native American Religion, Men’s Groups, Drum Circles and pretending to be Indians in the forest) and towards the end… Celtic Paganism. (my ancestral heritage.)

About 10 years ago I realized I was approaching middle age and for the first time in my life I really started to wrap my head around the idea that I'm going to die one of these days. Around the same time I realized it was time to stop focusing so much on "what people think" and try to figure out what I think and REALLY believe.

So... here I am. I'll try to contribute on occasion if I think I have something worth sharing.
"There's always a bigger fish."
Qui-Gon Jin (Star Wars)
RE: Saying hello for the 1st time
If your Icon is a picture of you then you look exactly like Captain Mike Dean of Navy Command......carry on.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 27, 2013 at 5:19 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: If your Icon is a picture of you then you look exactly like Captain Mike Dean of Navy Command......carry on.

Yep... the pic is of me, but I have no clue who Captain Mike Dean is.

Nice to meet ya!
"There's always a bigger fish."
Qui-Gon Jin (Star Wars)
Hey! Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy your time around here! Smile
Welcome!
Hello and welcome to AF! Enjoy your stay! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Saying hello for the first time? Is this something you plan to do often?

No matter.

Welcome.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Morning, TPS....from your neighbor in Arizona where the time is an hour earlier and the calendar is a 100 years past.
Good morning from your neighbor to the North in Berzerkly. I hope you appreciated the water we sent you to flush your toilet with this morning. But hey, what are neighbors for?

Welcome. We seem to have a surfeit of devilishly handsome on this forum, so you'll fit right in. (As well as a surplus of members who are stunningly beautiful, pretty smrt, and "gots karazzma!")

Btw, if this is your first time saying hello, are you, like, a wild child or something?

Regardless. All 10.0's on your first attempt at the move. [Image: w20.png][Image: eusa_dance.gif]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm not saying I'm Jesus... earmuffs 17 993 October 31, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi.... TonyPhotographer 11 1581 November 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
Tongue A long-time lurker says hello Ludwig 22 3864 November 4, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  New(ish) guy saying hi What_the?! 16 2810 October 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  New Member saying hello from Texas Caveman 10 3506 August 16, 2013 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Fruity
  Lifelong Atheist Saying Hello Hijiri Byakuren 13 2619 August 2, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Saying "Hi" WitchSabrina 27 5510 February 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Just saying hi... Captain Jack Zodiac 11 1853 August 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: MountOlympus
  Just saying hi nous 5 1392 July 27, 2012 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Long time atheist, first time poster... JustEd 13 3694 April 4, 2012 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Erinome