Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westboro Baptist Church=Left Wing Cult?
Westboro Baptist Church=Left Wing Cult?
So says Faux News.

http://nation.foxnews.com/connecticut-el...ist-church

Really? Labeling Fred Phelps as a Democrat and Westboro Baptist a Left-Wing cult? A church that says Obama is the anti-Christ? A church which strongly hates homosexualit is part of a political party that specifically wants to extend rights to homosexuals? Really?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Westboro Baptist Church=Left Wing Cult?
(December 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm)TaraJo Wrote: So says Faux News.

Really? Labeling Fred Phelps as a Democrat and Westboro Baptist a Left-Wing cult? A church that says Obama is the anti-Christ? A church which strongly hates homosexualit is part of a political party that specifically wants to extend rights to homosexuals? Really?

If westboro baptist church is anything but pathetic, than I'd say it is Fox News.
(December 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm)TaraJo Wrote: So says Faux News.

This is just Fox News picking up the rant of the right-wing blogger Jim Hoft, in which he criticized the local newspaper for inaccurately (according to him) describing the WBC as "right-wing." It is a fact that Fred Phelps ran for political office several times as a Democrat.

This is a common tactic of the right in the U. S. Anything that they don't like must be left wing, and in this case the fact that Fred Phelps ran as a Democrat is a convenient proof that they're "correct." I'll bet that you didn't know that Hitler was a leftist too, according to many right wingers. [Image: lolbymissbangles.gif]
Serious, but not entirely serious.
Quote:Anything that they don't like must be left wing,

But, why don't they like him? Phelps is such a fascist shitball he should have a show on FOX.
(December 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Anything that they don't like must be left wing,

But, why don't they like him? Phelps is such a fascist shitball he should have a show on FOX.

Interestingly enough, it wasn't that long ago that the far right was praising Freddy and his happy band of crazies.

Yes, he did used to be a Democrat, but Reagan was a Democrat at one time, too; he was even a lawyer for the ACLU, a group that the far right loves to condemn at every opportunity. However, starting in the 80's, his opinions started to change. Most notaly, he started to turn strongly against homosexuality. He supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic convention specifically because Gore didn't support a gay bill of rights. For years later, when Bill Clinton ran for president (with Al Gore as his VP candidate) and one of his issues was ending the ban on homosexuals in the military, Fred Phelps condemned him for it. He ran for Governor of Kansas a few times after that, but rarely got very much of the vote. Through most of the late 90's, he was simply protesting at funerals of people who died of AIDS or known homosexuals. The strategy was pretty simple: go to a conservative part of the country, protest at a gay funeral and harass the people there. Get one of them to punch you and sue their pants off. When it went to court, you get a judge who hates fags as much as Phelps, so things already start to look good for you. It didn't hurt them that most the people in that church/family were lawyers.

Then, when we invaded Iraq, things changed. Before, the right didn't really embrase Westboro, but they didn't condemn them, either. If anything, they did agree with them on homosexuality, just to a much lesser degree. Then they started protesting at military funerals and things changed. The same people who are less-than gay friendly have a tendancy to worship the military. So, take those same judges who loved Phelps when he attacked homosexuals, and all of a sudden, they aren't quite so sympathetic when he's attacking the US military or the United States itself. Things started changing for them, big time. Before, they were able to make their protests into a kind of full-time job. They traveled all over the country, carrying their signs all over and inflaming a lot of people. The income they needed to continue this was funded by the lawsuits. When they couldn't get any sympathy from the right, they started losing lawsuits and laws were passed that prevented them from protesting and they even got sued a few times themselves.

Nowadays, they don't travel much. Mostly, they stick to their territory in Kansas and travel a little in the midwest. Whenever they protest, everyone knows about it in advance and precautions are taken. Counter protests are orgaized specifically to prevent lawsuits. Police will often even be there to keep the two groups apart.

Also, I think their days are going to end soon anyway. I heard an interview from one of the people who used to be a part of the Westboro cult but now is an atheist. He said that one of the things they believe is that a truly good person won't die, but they'll just ascend to heaven. The problem there is that Fred Phelps is 83 and his daughter Shirley is 55. Their health is going to start going south and one of them is probably going to die before long; when that happens, the church will either be forced to say that their patriarch was full of shit or he's in Hell.

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Quote:the church will either be forced to say that their patriarch was full of shit or he's in Hell.

All churches think their leaders are going to heaven to be welcomed by fucking god himself. Be they Fred Phelps or Herr Von Popenfuhrer.

These fuckers are all alike.
In the US (likely anywhere, I'd hope), you don't fuck with deceased soldiers. Any support they might've had at that point fell through.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(December 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:the church will either be forced to say that their patriarch was full of shit or he's in Hell.

All churches think their leaders are going to heaven to be welcomed by fucking god himself. Be they Fred Phelps or Herr Von Popenfuhrer.

These fuckers are all alike.

Not quite. Yes, they think he's going to heaven, but they think he won't have to die a physical death to get there. That's the big difference between Catholicism and Westboro: the vatican will admit that the Pope is going to die someday and they've already planned for it. Westboro thinks otherwise about their leaders.

The hasidics in Brooklyn are still waiting for their Grand Rebbe to be resurrected too.

You could fill a book with the stupid beliefs of religious fuckheads.

In fact, most of them have their own book!
I have no doubt that, if Fred dies a natural death, the WBC will not exert themselves much in spinning it so that his soul departed for heaven leaving behind a useless physical shell, or some such nonsense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4816 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2153 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] When you left theism, did you go Left? zwanzig 34 2223 April 22, 2021 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Manipulation culture by left wingers Richi29 13 1109 July 24, 2020 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Right is left WinterHold 2 607 February 8, 2020 at 8:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What’s Left? BrianSoddingBoru4 48 3146 February 4, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1517 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6981 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Explain left and right to me (political terms) Macoleco 27 2187 February 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  I’m sick of the far left too Losty 93 4054 November 27, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Losty