Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing Myself
Introducing Myself
Greetings to AF! I have actually been a member for about a week now, but I wanted to get a feel for the site before I posted my introduction. This may end up being a long post, as I rarely get a chance to vent in any meaningful way.

I grew up in the American Northwest as a Catholic. I attended Sunday School and all of the other events necessary to be a "good" Catholic. The region itself is very liberal (Washington, my home state, recently legalized both gay marriage and recreational marijuana) and a number of my friends were Catholic. I now realize that I never really went to the church events for the religion, more so for the fact that my friends went.

My family moved to California in time for my Freshman year of high school, and things seemed to move smoothly along the same path from there. In my Sophomore year I took AP World History, and things went south in a handbasket after that. I learned about Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and a host of other world religions.

That experience broke me out of a rut, in a sense. After seeing the ebb and flow of religion through history I began to apply the same thinking to my own faith. There were other factors that contributed to this change in thinking, but my experience from history remains the clearest in my mind.

I did not become an atheist overnight, it was a process. I began to look up reasoning both for and against god and religion in general. I had some rudimentary experience with logic from school debates and good-natured debates with friends (yes, we do on occasion debate for fun) and applied them to what I was reading online. The arguments for atheism were the only ones that didn't make me want to scoop my eyes out with a spork for sheer stupidity.

And so, somewhere between three and four months ago, I deconverted in my Junior year of high school. I came out to my parents. They want me to talk to a priest, but I am not opposed to the idea, as a debate experience could be fun (though advice from more experienced debators on this forum would be welcome). I haven't talked to my friends yet, but if they ask I'll tell them what I do and don't believe in. That may prove to be a disastrous decision, as there are well over half a dozen churches and temples within walking distance of my school, but I have always believed that honesty is the best policy.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I look forward to open discussion and debate with both atheists and theists. I apologise for spelling errors in both this and future posts, as the majority of my posting will be done from a device with no spellcheck.

Cheers.
RE: Introducing Myself
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find your de-conversion story to be quite similar to many others(Not mine, though. Nothing to de-convert from). Plus, you should be thankful that you got out so early. Many people don't see the light until much later in their lives.

Have you found any difficulties with no longer being religious?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Not really. I was always a very science and logic oriented person, so nothing much changed in terms of how I view the world. As for how others treat me I'll have to wait and see.
Hey there Corvus, good to have you aboard.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Re: Introducing Myself
Welcome.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Howdy!
Cunt
Hi,

Hope to have a constructive debate soon.
Hey I love God he is awsome.
Welcome We are here, just to be Big Grin
Welcome, I'm de-facto anti-Catholic!
Welcome

It will be an ongoing process, just keep questioning EVERYTHING!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Letter to Myself scamper 8 1035 October 14, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3698 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Allow me to introduce myself. I bring a gift for everyone. Adrian Ferrer 18 2168 March 26, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1592 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New member introducing herself HHK 24 4438 July 18, 2016 at 9:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Introducing Meee! Panatheist 15 2579 March 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  From Jesus to just Myself Wrikudoro 13 3345 February 8, 2016 at 3:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Myself John Algar 17 2364 September 9, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  I guess I should introduce myself cocunningham 26 3865 May 31, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Introducing myself Fortruth 15 2769 November 23, 2014 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Aractus