Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing Meee!
Introducing Meee!
Hello to everyone.  I'm registering with the forums primarily to lurk and also to ask some questions here and there.

I've thought about, pondered, read, and debated atheist/theist concerns and beliefs but have not really visited this topic in a long time.  It took me a while to consciously embrace agnostic-atheism.  I developed into those views when I was 18 but it had been a long time coming.  It's not a primary identifier for me or anything, but it's my default position.  I have my reasons for it, but I'm not particularly well versed in philosophy or arguments.  That is something I'd like to change.  I do describe myself as a pantheist usually because that captures my underlying mood and sense of relationship to the cosmos and other things about me.  I don't tend to think about traditional theism much so I don't think about being an agnostic or atheist on a frequent basis, though I use those words if I do find myself having to clarify my beliefs or lack thereof on certain issues.

I suppose I'm agnostic-atheist because it seems like so many "paranormal" phenomena of interest to me so often have mundane (though often interesting) explanations, and social and cultural explanations for the development of religious doctrine and the Bible, both of which fascinate me, seem so much more reasonable and obvious than revelation-centered beliefs.

I have been conversing with a Catholic friend who also happens to be a philosopher and physicist.  I don't quite know how to counter his arguments (mostly the Cosmological argument).  I simply find it utterly unconvincing.  I can't disprove his beliefs (there's my agnosticism speaking) but I find them faaar from "self-evident" despite my lack of philosophical training.  Not being well versed in metaphysics or physics I don't really know what to say about his claim that most physicists believe the universe is not self-existent, although I don't find that a good argument either: that there must be a self-realizing absolute reality not dependent on anything else on which everything else depends for its being, or that causality necessarily applies to the entire cosmos in the way that it does to individual things within the cosmos.  In fact his tone is sort of irritating me as are his pleas that I read his critique of pantheism (mostly an insistence on a particular definition of God that is by no means universal across religions and persons), but he is a good friend and I mostly enjoy our conversations.  I hope to test some of his arguments against better informed atheists here and see what they make of them.  Besides that I just want to sharpen up my ideas and logic.

Hello, hello again!
RE: Introducing Meee!
Nice to meet you! Thank you for sharing your story.

We can certainly help you with arguments. We've seen them all a million times before. There's a dozen or so, which seem a bit puzzling when you first see them, but are easily discarded once you've seen the trickery for what it is. After a while, they just turn up in rotation. We get a new theist coming here with "amazing new evidence", and it is always the same shit. Always. I've seen nothing new since I started getting seriously into this several years ago.

So feel free to start a topic about any of that, or send me a PM if you like. We have some great philosophers and logicians here! As well as scientists and people from many other backgrounds.

You may find my logical fallacy (thinking errors) section on my website here useful. It's aimed at those not familiar with logic.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 12, 2016 at 5:14 am)robvalue Wrote: Nice to meet you! Thank you for sharing your story.

We can certainly help you with arguments. We've seen them all a million times before. There's a dozen or so, which seem a bit puzzling when you first see them, but are easily discarded once you've seen the trickery for what it is. After a while, they just turn up in rotation. We get a new theist coming here with "amazing new evidence", and it is always the same shit. Always. I've seen nothing new since I started getting seriously into this several years ago.

So feel free to start a topic about any of that, or send me a PM if you like. We have some great philosophers and logicians here! As well as scientists and people from many other backgrounds.

You may find my logical fallacy (thinking errors) section on my website here useful. It's aimed at those not familiar with logic.

That's very helpful and kind of you!  I'm very grateful.
That's very helpful and kind of you!  I'm very grateful.

(I'm seeing a note telling me I've already posted this and see that there are two replies, but for some reason I can't see my last post!)
You're welcome, no problem Smile

Yeah, that's just because you quoted me and I had a link in what I said. Which is fine!

We have a spam filter that checks new members to see if they are putting out links (which is against the rules, until you've got 30 posts and been here for 30 days). Since your post was fine and it wasn't your link, I have just allowed it. You can avoid this happening in the meantime by overwriting the actual link with just [link] or something in what you quote from someone. But even if you don't, it will get allowed when a moderator notices it. You can always PM one of us if unsure. (We're the guys with green or red names.)

Hope that makes sense!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hey man, welcome. :-)
Welcome from Tennessee!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Hi there! I can tell you that the question of "self-existence" is no one that physicists regularly discuss. I don't even know what the words mean, can you enlighten me?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 12, 2016 at 7:54 am)Alex K Wrote: Hi there! I can tell you that the question of "self-existence" is no one that physicists regularly discuss. I don't even know what the words mean, can you enlighten me?

When I say the cosmos may be self-existent I mean that it is able to exist somehow of itself without need for dependence on an origin outside of itself.  I do not know what physicists say about this in general except that at least a few have made arguments for this possibility (an eternal self-existent universe).  I will be looking for threads on this topic or if need be start one myself.
(March 12, 2016 at 8:24 am)Panatheist Wrote:
(March 12, 2016 at 7:54 am)Alex K Wrote: Hi there! I can tell you that the question of "self-existence" is no one that physicists regularly discuss. I don't even know what the words mean, can you enlighten me?

When I say the cosmos may be self-existent I mean that it is able to exist somehow of itself without need for dependence on an origin outside of itself.  I do not know what physicists say about this in general except that at least a few have made arguments for this possibility (an eternal self-existent universe).  I will be looking for threads on this topic or if need be start one myself.

Wouldn't an "origin of the universe outside of the universe" simply extend our notion of what encompasses the universe?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1571 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New member introducing herself HHK 24 4398 July 18, 2016 at 9:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Introducing myself Fortruth 15 2767 November 23, 2014 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Aractus
Smile Introducing myself thedouglenz 9 2828 June 9, 2014 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Re-introducing myself Upside Down Dog 31 7300 December 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Upside Down Dog
  Introducing myself mostlysilent 21 3669 June 17, 2013 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Zarith
  Just introducing myself. loganlandis 10 1864 April 11, 2013 at 2:13 am
Last Post: justin
  A religious bastard introducing himself WinterHold 24 5004 February 4, 2013 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: EbolaVirusPenis
  Introducing Myself Corvus 9 1624 January 2, 2013 at 10:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Introducing Me! Atharonis 11 2972 January 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Erinome