Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First full meeting as openly-atheist city councilman today.
First full meeting as openly-atheist city councilman today.

The religious will frequently argue that an atheist is inappropriate as a government representative for various reasons (you need a moral compass, ad nauseum).

The village clerk came by my house Friday afternoon with the agenda for the meeting. This will be my first full meeting as a councilman on the Village Board. Let's take a look at the agenda, and see where a "Christian Viewpoint ™" would be of use (more follows):

old business:

Approve last month's minutes.

Emergency items (none).

Finance report for the Village.

Release of grant funds for improvements to the Village Hall.

Public commentary.

Receipt of bids to deconstruct High School gymnasium. (It is falling apart.)

Planning commission vacancy.

Trim trees overhanging streets.

Post handicap parking signs at new Village Hall.

Window repair bid awarded.

new business:

Flag purchase for village park and hall. New park flag donated by me.

Emergency response plan needs updating.

Rug delivery to Village Hall.

Insurance coverage for new Village Hall.

Replacement of sewage lagoon fence. State requirements for fence compliance.

---- ----

Yup. Only a Christian could fathom these inscrutable issues.

Though the vast majority of the village is Christian, they are also pragmatic. They would not set aside a candidate merely because of religious faith. They want someone who cares about civic life in the village, regardless of faith or lack thereof.

This fascinating array of items is what government is usually about at the local level. I am not sure how belief in a book of stories that cannot be confirmed would make any difference on how I would approach these critical topics. - James.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: First full meeting as openly-atheist city councilman today.
Incompetent people often reach for totems.

Belief is merely another totem when used as a club to bully others or a shield to hide away.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system Macoleco 23 2375 October 3, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I voted today. Brian37 17 1025 October 25, 2020 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1960 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Anyone going to watch Mueller today? Brian37 33 5275 July 26, 2019 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1110 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If right wingers are inbred, are left wingers full of AIDS? Raue8ur 1 480 November 20, 2018 at 6:50 am
Last Post: no one
  I Voted today. Brian37 109 11201 November 7, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  So today my "neighbor rapists" ...... Brian37 37 3185 March 7, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  White House Gun Meeting Foxaèr 23 2146 March 1, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Did you vote today? Cecelia 17 1721 November 9, 2017 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd