Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"How do you actually know you're real?"
"How do you actually know you're real?"
This is a thing I've been hearing lately and truth be told it's getting obnoxious.

"You can't prove I'm real and you can't prove you're real so you just gotta take it on faith!"

I can't pin down what exactly about it annoys me but it itches at my common sense. It's one of those things I can't rationally debunk because honestly, someone who says that the use of the five available senses is something not to be trusted...might as well believe whatever the fuck they want to believe.

Anybody else have to deal with this shit? And if so, how do you guys deal with it?
RE: "How do you actually know you're real?"
I can't prove that, and I personally have no faith in it. "You can't prove it so you have to take it on faith" is a non-sequitur. If I have to accept it, why accept it on faith? lol. If proving things is insufficient, why would that make faith sufficient?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Wait wha?
I conect my nipples to a car battery for 15 minutes each morning.

Then I know reality.
LOL, that would be an infinitely amusing experiment germans, but the sort of person that this statement appeals to would simply suggest that your "experience" is as illusory as your "self" perhaps even more so, as it is just a part of that illusion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I do not give a fuck if I'm real or not, but everyone around me responds to my existence and me to them, we share common perceptual experiences, etc. Even if we are not real there is no fucking way to know. Its not faith, but senses, that guide us to believing we exist. And how do I deal with it? I do not. I mostly ignore it. Except for now. :3
(January 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Wait wha?
IOW creed, I can concede the first and still not accept anything on faith. I don't have to believe that I;m real, I can suspect greatly that I am an illusion (though I'd argue that in this case the illusion is -precisely- what I am), or I can simply avoid thinking about it entirely. None of that will interfere with the act of being me, and none of it requires that I pick up any faith.
This is sort of where the phrase "i think therefore i am" comes from.
Im thinking but this could be a dream so i dont know im here, but i must exist for me to be thinking, so if you think this is evidence that youre real. Because something that doesnt cant think. i think

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Maybe anyone is able to define 'real', that might clear things up.
(January 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: "You can't prove I'm real and you can't prove you're real so you just gotta take it on faith!"

'That's just what a figment of my imagination would say.'
Seems like a good reply.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do we know what we know? Aegon 15 1884 October 22, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Do you think the universe is real? Excited Penguin 40 5618 December 15, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Sappho
  Is There A Real You? Rayaan 22 4824 May 10, 2014 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  How do we know what we know, if we know anything? Mudhammam 12 2838 February 8, 2014 at 1:36 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Does pondering about philosophy actually accomplish anything? CleanShavenJesus 4 1306 March 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: jstrodel
  How do I know the things I know? Akincana Krishna dasa 52 18939 October 27, 2012 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is there actually evil in the world? elcastellano 45 10964 July 20, 2012 at 9:17 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  This may actually be possible... R-e-n-n-a-t 14 2674 November 1, 2010 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: MysterMenace