Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islam and Protestantism
Islam and Protestantism
Same Problem. Different Religion.

This post is a follow up to my previous post on the "Muslim Jesus: Great Prophet?"

It seems Islam has a similar theological problem to Protestantism and offers a strikingly similar rationalization.

When your religion is the Johnny-come-lately to the dance, you need to find some way to not be immediately dismissed as a heretic, a label that can prove not only fatal to your credibility but, in the right climate, your worldly self as well. Credibility is everything in religion; you're marketing a product with no evidence to the credulous. So what's a party crasher to do?

The established prom king, in this case, Catholicism, has the benefit of appealing to tradition. After all, they've got the pedigree of a lineage of apostles that stretch back to the poster boy, JC himself. True, much of that "history" is, in fact, fanciful folklore heavily massaged with a healthy dose of pseudo-epigraphy, interpolation and outright fabrication but, hey, razzle-dazzle is what counts in the dance of religion and the pontiff offers a slick package (and not just to the cute altar boy).

Well, don't just sit there on the sidelines Luther, Muhammad, Calvin, Smith, et al. You can cut in to the prom king's spotlight with a little show of your own, however crude it may be in comparison.

Step one in the dance is to accuse the established star of corruption and falling away from the purity standard set by the poster boy himself. Fact is, that's easy enough since corruption in religion is not just common but one of the perks.

Step two, and this is the important part since you're not really looking to reform but rather to usurp, as any good religion must, is you have to invent a nostalgic fantasy of a better, simpler time for the church, one in which the True Teachings ™ of the poster boy were heeded and the church itself was a Pure Manifestation ™ of those teachings. Hence you are not really usurping or rebelling but rather taking the True Believers ™ back to the good old days. With a little finesse and heavy reliance on the human tendency to romanticize the past, you can suddenly turn the golden boy into the party crashing cad and you righteously wear the crown now, as poster boy would have surely wanted.

Protestants indulge in a fantasy of a Pure True Christian Church ™ established by Jesus before the Romans could corrupt it. Muslims imagine a Muslim Jesus who preached a completely different message, one compatible with Muhammad's authority as a prophet, one that was True and Pure in its monotheism (monotheism © Islam), before everything changed under the heretic Paul.

Same dance. Different dancer.

Neither fantasy has any evidence to suggest it was ever part of history or anything other than the imaginations of theologians, any more than the Catholic re-write of its history has any basis in reality, but that's show biz.

***Edited to insert hyperlink to other thread.***
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Islam and Protestantism
Another important similarity between the two is the lack of a central "leader" to enforce doctrine, not that Herr Von Popenfuhrer is doing a good job of it anymore but at least in theory he calls the shots.. This enables every clown with a pulpit or a turban to try to gain market share among the lunatics by being an even bigger asshole than everyone else. This seems to be a tactic amply employed by both.
Why are cults similar, because all the snake oil sellers, have to sell the stuff in similar ways.
[Image: signiture_zps1665b542.gif]
(January 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Another important similarity between the two is the lack of a central "leader" to enforce doctrine, not that Herr Von Popenfuhrer is doing a good job of it anymore but at least in theory he calls the shots.. This enables every clown with a pulpit or a turban to try to gain market share among the lunatics by being an even bigger asshole than everyone else. This seems to be a tactic amply employed by both.

Hmm, Many muslims actually believe in leaders.
You have the sunna muslims, for example.

They believe in anything the ancient scholars said. Some of them believe that "men & elves" can marry each other, but 2 witnesses are required from both races ???? I mean WTH ?

A famous muslim scholar called (Ibn Taimeia) said that, sunni muslims now swallow the embarrassment of this statement & believe it. Because simply, Ibn Taimeia is one of the "Shaiks" >>not shakes like in milk shake.

So they cannot disobey him.

Shia muslims also have a central leader called "al - qaiem", and many "mini leaders" called "ayato-allah".

Suffi muslims have the "walee", which is more like the christian "saint", that comes up with supernatural powers & connect directly with the prophet ; sometimes with god.

Now, from my opinion, what ruined islam up is those ideas.

But I totally disagree with you, Mcrubbish. Muslims now do have holly leaders, that's what controls them (i.e, buy the "milk shakes", you control the people..america did that in the soviet-afghan war).
They don't have a fucking pope who is supposed to be the Boss Hooter when it comes to holy horseshit, though.

That leaves every nutjob free to run his mouth in an attempt to gain market share among the lunatics.

I understand that you don't want to be like protestants....but I can assure you that they feel the same way about you.
(January 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They don't have a fucking pope who is supposed to be the Boss Hooter when it comes to holy horseshit, though.

That leaves every nutjob free to run his mouth in an attempt to gain market share among the lunatics.

I understand that you don't want to be like protestants....but I can assure you that they feel the same way about you.

No Mcrubbish, you're wrong in this one.
Protestants are (above all) christians, so they believe in the regular bible (with some changes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant_Bible

The bible itself is a big problem, with a lot of totally different explanations for one verse.

Islam is totally different, In the Quran I can understand that some verses might lead to several explanations, but in "small details". Verses which speak about critical believes are all clear. Thus muslims have no identity or believe crises when it comes to the Quran.

Example : this verse from the Quran

و إذ قال عيسى ابن مريم يا بني اسرائيل إني رسول الله إليكم مصدقاً لما بين يدي من التوراة و مبشراً برسول يأتي من بعدي اسمه أحمد فلما جائهم بالبينات قالوا هذا سحر مبين

Translation :

Jesus christ said : sons of Israel, I'm the prophet of god, a believer in what I have between my hands from the Torah, and promising with a prophet that would come after me, his name is "Ahmed", then when he came to them with evidence they said this is a very obvious magic.

Now, me & my fellow muslims might have different explanations for why Mohammad was preached by jesus with the name (ahmed), we might have different explenation for why jesus was believing in what he had in the torah, while we think the torah became corrupted at his time.

But the main idea, which our believe stands on cannot change, because the verse is obvious :

god sent jesus to the jews, jesus told the jews about mohammad. End of story.

this goes with all the quran : little tiny details are interpreted in different ways, but the main concept stays the same.

Concept is the most important thing.

Now mcrubbish, christians until today are not even sure about the concept of their religion.

Is it love or war ? the crusaders & their church had a different pov, now you'll never find that in Islam.
Actually no.

I am yet to find Min inaccurate on any point of historical record.

Check your "facts" Atlas
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The OP was about the similarity of the dilemma for Islam and Protestantism and how both solve the problem by manufacturing an alternate, unlikely and nostalgic pseudo-history of the One True Pure Belief ™ before it was corrupted by this other religion.

Just as Protestants fantasize about the Original Christian Church that they're trying to get back to, Muslims have reinvented Jesus. I say "fantasize" because there's no evidence this Original Christian Church existed. In fact, quite to the contrary. Early Christianity was deeply divided among many sects so wildly different as to make Trinitarian Christianity vs. Islam look like petty hair-splitting.

Similarly, there's not only no evidence to support the Muslim claims that Jesus preached a proto-Islamic message of strict monotheism and that another prophet would follow but the story runs against basic logic that the Jews would be so upset with and reject an obvious reinforcement of their monotheistic theology and that more prophets were to come.

As an aside, the entire attempt to rebrand Jesus as a forerunner to Muhammad seems suspiciously like the Christian efforts to rebrand John the Baptist as a forerunner to Jesus. The real history is that the Mandeans, followers of John the Baptist, were rivals of the early Christians and continued to insist that JtB was the messiah to this very day. Odd how they never got the memo from their leader that he prostrated himself before Jesus. Similarly odd that the early Christians decided to pray to Jesus instead of waiting for their future True Prophet that Jesus spoke of. But all that's another strange parallel for another thread...

From the perspective of a non-believer in any religion like myself, both the Protestant and Islamic story seems like pious fantasy with nothing to base it on aside from the imaginations of the faithful.

Your tangent on the strengths of Islam over Christianity are unconvincing to anyone who's an unbeliever in both. The Koran has the benefit of being a much shorter book and having only one author. Christians point to the Bible as having many authors written over a long period and still having "the same message". This too is unconvincing to the non-believer but religion has no hard evidence to offer so it must resort to philoso-babble and flimsy rationalization.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(January 23, 2013 at 9:30 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Actually no.

I am yet to find Min inaccurate on any point of historical record.

Check your "facts" Atlas

Do you mean my look on protestantism ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection]: Anthropomorphism and God in Islam WinterHold 15 1571 June 16, 2021 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7878 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  To clear up that Islam is not pedophilia and chrisitanity is according to a guy here Smain 6 987 June 26, 2018 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Islam; my faith; and other faiths WinterHold 77 11501 April 30, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Islam and Women Lebneni Murtad 48 8128 March 6, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Question about Near Death Experiences and Islam? arda101 11 4073 January 23, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Islam is hostile, but there is also lots of bias from muslims and bigotry aswell Rolandson 7 2468 January 22, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Charlie Hebdo journalist sees a problem with Islam and Mohammed mralstoner 5 1355 October 22, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  The West's Response to Islam and violence...... Brian37 16 3181 May 18, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  Islam and its History and Impact of Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) yukapuka 161 19185 January 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon