Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Formidable Atheist Quotes - AskAtheists.com
Information 
Formidable Atheist Quotes - AskAtheists.com
Over many years I've curated a list of top atheist quotes - now numbering over 10,000. They're available here:

[link removed]

[address removed] is a new home for the quotes (as of this week), and I'd be delighted if you would help me spread the word about the site on Facebook, Twitter etc.

A little taster:

Quote:"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" -- Stephen F Roberts

Quote:"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -- Seneca the Younger

Quote:"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend" -- Richard Jeni
RE: Formidable Atheist Quotes - AskAtheists.com
Seneca never said that.

It was Edward Gibbon in Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap2.htm

Quote:The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the magistrate, as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord.

Chapter 2 1
I think the most witty formidable atheist quote i have is

Quote:Go Blow Fucking Allah Out Your Ass, Shithead.---Minimalist

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Not 'the' Chris Beach? It was because of your atheist quotes site that I first got interested in being more active in this field and the reason I sought out an atheist forum in the first place.

Welcome oh' Master Worship

P.S. I'll have a word with the rest of the staff about your links Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Yes, I am "the" Chris Beach with the top spot in Google for "atheist quotes". I understand your reluctance to accept links from new members but I felt it was a useful resource for your visitors and I'd very much appreciate if you could reinstate the link

Minimalist, thanks for pointing that out. I have updated the quote on askatheists.com

To help identify such errors in the future, I'm going to enable commenting on quotes, and I also want to link to sources too, where available.

I'm keen to ensure the quotes are accurate. I hunted far and wide for Stephen Roberts, whose quote is #1, and has been misappropriated all over the web. I'm pleased to say he is now signed up as a member of the fledgeling askatheists.com community

(January 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Seneca never said that.
Quote:"Mensch sein heißt, sich minderwertig zu fühlen. Der Mensch bleibt unvollkommen, der Gottesbegriff entspricht am besten dem dunklen Sehnen des Menschen nach Vollkommenheit."

"Being human means to feel inferior. A human being stays uncompleted, the concept of god is what comes closest to the dark human wish to be complet."

- Alfred Adler - One of the founders of modern psychotherapy

Quote:I see no god up here.

- Juri Gagarin - First man in space (first words ever spoken by a human in space)

Quote:"The aims of life are the best defense against death."

- Primo Levi - Novelist, Chemist and Auschwitz survivor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yOckwMm_k

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I'm told I need to write 30 posts before the URL is displayed to you guys. Here goes..!

Quote:"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --Epicurus
(January 25, 2013 at 4:38 am)Darwinian Wrote: Not 'the' Chris Beach? It was because of your atheist quotes site that I first got interested in being more active in this field and the reason I sought out an atheist forum in the first place.

Welcome oh' Master Worship

P.S. I'll have a word with the rest of the staff about your links Great

I remember you showing me the site. That was more years ago than I care to remember.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Here's another quote (25 more to go before I'm able to share the URL of my site with you):

Quote:Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church --Unknown

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Atheism Quotes? Incognito 25 3742 October 31, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Best use of hymns and bible quotes in fiction? Lemonvariable72 14 3398 November 21, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  Create your own skeptical quotes. Brian37 33 3902 March 20, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Quotes for the unbeliever Foxaèr 20 2893 March 19, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Question Quotes acceptance Emporion 48 13949 March 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Emporion