Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are atheist...atheist?
Why are atheist...atheist?

Far as i know, atheist choose to believe that God does not exist. My question is why? I, myself, am spiritual and am not really affiliated with any religion. I choose to believe God exist because I think the laws of physics just randomly or coincidently happenening the way they did out of the infinite other possible options is rediculously unlikely. So unlikely that i choose to believe in some intelligent design instead. As far as what God is like don't know. Is he an individual, a collective, or more like a computer with no real consciousness as we might call it? I couldn't answer with as much conviction as believing in God, but I do have my beliefs about his nature.

But to just assert that God doesn't exist without any real supporting evidence is just as ignorant as religious people saying he does exist and describing what he's like. To me, it sounds like Atheist choose not to believe in God simply because it makes them feel more sure of reality, same reason religious people choose to believe.

Why not simply admit one does not know instead taking a stance of certainty? That, to me, is inherently ignorant.

P.S
I asked this same question on yahoo answers and for some reason offended alot of people. I thought atheist weren't not as prone to respond like religious people when someone questions there beliefs. I'm just curious, not looking to convert anyone or anything like that.
RE: Why are atheist...atheist?
Hmmm.

My atheist friends are going to eat you alive on this one pal.

You have many faulty concepts going on in that OP of yours. Especially if you've already asked the same question elsewhere ... you really have little excuse for ignorance.

[Image: Evolution.png]

lol, like I said, I'm not looking to fight. I'm just curious. Those are my current beliefs and I'm curious about atheist's beliefs. Once again, not trying to prove I'm right or start a debate or anything. Beliefs aren't really that big a deal to me, at least not right now.

Also, I've asked the question elsewhere but didn't get any informative answers at all. They very much responded ignorantly as if they were offended or just assumed I was speaking from the common religious point of view when i wasn't. Since yahoo answers isn't really good place for you to say "no, you completely misunderstood what I've said" or " you didn't even read what I wrote" I decided to ask the question on forum instead. In fact, the only plausible answer I got from one person was that he chooses the stance of atheist because he chooses not to call anything he doesn't understand God, which is really admitting you simply do not know; which is what I've suggested was the wiser path. However, I know that not all atheist are like this though, which is why is re-ask the question here.
Quote:Far as i know

You need to know farther.

http://www.infoamerica.org/documentos_pdf/dawkins10.pdf

Read. Learn.

You can thank me later,
Well I've read that intro and it seems to be geared more towards the religious type which is not me. However, I would be interested in reading chapter 4 as explains how God mostly likely doesn't exist. However, just to put it out there, natural selection has no effect on confirming or denying the existence of God whatsoever.
Don't cherry pick. Read the whole thing.

When you're done with that I'll send you Hitchens' God is Not Great. You see, there is no evidence that any gods exist but "religion" is all over the place fucking people up since the dawn of time.
(July 12, 2011 at 12:03 am)Alastor Wrote: Also, I've asked the question elsewhere but didn't get any informative answers at all. They very much responded ignorantly as if they were offended or just assumed I was speaking from the common religious point of view when i wasn't. Since yahoo answers isn't really good place for you to say "no, you completely misunderstood what I've said" or " you didn't even read what I wrote" I decided to ask the question on forum instead. In fact, the only plausible answer I got from one person was that he chooses the stance of atheist because he chooses not to call anything he doesn't understand God, which is really admitting you simply do not know; which is what I've suggested was the wiser path. However, I know that not all atheist are like this though, which is why is re-ask the question here.

Look man, atheists don't appreciate people like you telling them what and why they hold the position they do. I'm going to show you in RED how many things you should be prepared to explain, defend, or deny when the bulk of this forum shows up to read this. Being inquisitive is fine, but you are INDEED making ignorant and slightly offensive claims here that you're going to have to own up to. You've even already admitted this by letting us know that another forum was angry over your choice of semantics. You honestly need to learn how to ask a question without providing your own insulting answer to that question.

Quote:Far as i know, atheist choose to believe that God does not exist. My question is why? I, myself, am spiritual and am not really affiliated with any religion. I choose to believe God exist because I think the laws of physics just randomly or coincidently happenening the way they did out of the infinite other possible options is rediculously unlikely. So unlikely that i choose to believe in some intelligent design instead. As far as what God is like don't know. Is he an individual, a collective, or more like a computer with no real consciousness as we might call it? I couldn't answer with as much conviction as believing in God, but I do have my beliefs about his nature.

But to just assert that God doesn't exist without any real supporting evidence is just as ignorant as religious people saying he does exist and describing what he's like. To me, it sounds like Atheist choose not to believe in God simply because it makes them feel more sure of reality, same reason religious people choose to believe.

Why not simply admit one does not know instead taking a stance of certainty? That, to me, is inherently ignorant.

By the way. I'm not an atheist. I just know better.

[Image: Evolution.png]

Simple. Evidence.

There is no evidence for the existence of god.
There is a great deal of evidence that every god of every religious belief system is man made.

Ergo, Atheism.

You've attempted to leverage the deists god as an argument against atheism, and then immediately described this unknowable force only a few sentences later. Your god is a creator god, a tinkerer, a designer of things. These are falsifiable claims.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm)Alastor Wrote: Far as i know, atheist choose to believe that God does not exist.

I choose not to believe in god as much as I choose not to believe in uinicorns.

Alastor Wrote:My question is why? I, myself, am spiritual and am not really affiliated with any religion. I choose to believe God exist because I think the laws of physics just randomly or coincidently happenening the way they did out of the infinite other possible options is rediculously unlikely.

Results of something being unlikely mean nothing. If I were to randomly pick a person on this planet, it would be very unlikely it would be you. Does that mean god exists if it did turn out to be you?

Alastor Wrote:So unlikely that i choose to believe in some intelligent design instead. As far as what God is like don't know. Is he an individual, a collective, or more like a computer with no real consciousness as we might call it? I couldn't answer with as much conviction as believing in God, but I do have my beliefs about his nature.

You did not choose to believe in god, you chose to fill the unknown with god. In other words, you don't know so it must be god. Atheists do not fall victim to such insufficient thinking.

Alastor Wrote:But to just assert that God doesn't exist without any real supporting evidence is just as ignorant as religious people saying he does exist and describing what he's like.

Assumptions will get you nowhere. Most atheists don't assert god exists, they just assert that they have no belief in god. Try waiting to get the answer to questions before you call someone's position ignorant.

Alastor Wrote:To me, it sounds like Atheist choose not to believe in God simply because it makes them feel more sure of reality, same reason religious people choose to believe.

Again, I did not choose to believe in god, I weighed the facts and saw no evidence for god.

Alastor Wrote:Why not simply admit one does not know instead taking a stance of certainty? That, to me, is inherently ignorant.

Like I said, most atheists do not take a stance of certainty except for on specific gods, like the Christian one. You, however, are asserting with just as much certainty as anyone else that there is a god, proving you don't even understand your own beliefs.

Alastor Wrote:I asked this same question on yahoo answers and for some reason offended alot of people. I thought atheist weren't not as prone to respond like religious people when someone questions there beliefs. I'm just curious, not looking to convert anyone or anything like that.

Yeah, people will give you a pissy answer when you insult them as you ask the question, just as you have done here. I deduce from your questions and the way they are worded that you are not actually looking for answers, but just a reason to feel superior, hence the comments about atheists being ignorant. You have judged people before you even understand what they believe, and come across as being smug and sincere in your beliefs the way any theist does. Seeing how you ask your questions, you yourself are profoundly simple minded for not expecting insults.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Natural selection does indeed have an effect on god. Specifically creator gods that dropped us into a garden exactly as we are now, along with everything else exactly as it is now, at some undetermined time in the past. In reverse, had we happened upon a verifiable ancient text that presented us with a picture of the archaeological record before we'd ever dug the first hole, signed by god, so to speak, that would've been a hell of an argument for god, wouldn't it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3462 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  WHY WHY WHY??!?!? JUST STOP...... Xyster 18 5110 March 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith