Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And so it begins..... tax bill for Spain's churches
And so it begins..... tax bill for Spain's churches
http://www.npr.org/2013/01/25/170267884/...s-for-cash

Quote:The Catholic Church is Spain's largest and richest landowner, though its nonprofit status means it is exempt from paying most taxes.

But amid the current economic crisis, that may be changing.

One college town just outside Madrid is leading an effort by some Spanish municipalities to serve the church an up-to-date property tax bill.

Alcala de Henares is re-evaluating the status of hundreds of church holdings that have been exempt from paying property tax for hundreds of years.

Charity Or Taxable Business?

Off a cobblestone street in Alcala de Henares, an ancient Roman town about 20 miles from Madrid, there's a 400-year-old convent, El Convento de Clarisas de San Diego.

If you ring the doorbell, one of the nuns calls out from behind a wooden shutter.

"Ave Maria Purissima!" (in English, "Holy Mary the most pure!") she yells, by way of answering the bell.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: And so it begins..... tax bill for Spain's churches
Finally! Well somebody had to go first and now with a bit of luck the church will have to pay up is long overdue taxes globaly.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Ole, Espana.

Now, when the fuckers don't pay, seize the property and open a Starbucks or a cat house on the site. Something useful.
Non-profit organization...non-profit my ass. Purely FOR profit, more like. Profit without a product, even.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill Craig is coming to Ireland!! Jehanne 25 5341 March 4, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Pakistan: a bill to ban child marriage shot down at 1st hurdle for being 'un-Islamic' Fake Messiah 8 1484 January 23, 2016 at 4:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Leader wants to tax people for not attending church Nitsuj 18 5370 July 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: MetalSifu789