Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atoms up close
Atoms up close
[Image: e5a3aje3.jpg]

This never fails to amaze me. A ring of iron atoms on a plane of copper. Taken with a scanning tunnelling microscope.

You can almost see the wave/particle duality going on, which to me is the most remarkable thing about it.
RE: Atoms up close
My mind just can't register this image. It doesn't even seem real.
Atoms up close
Crazy isn't it. To add to the craziness I should point out that the iron atoms were actually "placed" there.
Just remember, kids - atomic theory is just a theory.
Cool! Seems my imagination as to what atoms look like wasn't too far off Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I want to have a poster of this.
I gave you a kudos for sharing this image; however, your unfounded claim regarding 'almost seeing wave/particle' bullshit is just that...bullshit.

Your first look-up...what is a Planck length?
I see a pretty light blue bear trap opened up on a blood soaked rug.

Nice. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

(January 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm)Euler Wrote: [Image: e5a3aje3.jpg]

This never fails to amaze me. A ring of iron atoms on a plane of copper. Taken with a scanning tunnelling microscope.

You can almost see the wave/particle duality going on, which to me is the most remarkable thing about it.

This is a truly remarkable image.

I know you said 'almost see' but sadly, you can't see wave/particle duality, this is beyond even STMs, also we know that if you attempt to observe a quantum wave the wave function collapses. They are unobservable.

What you are seeing is a topographical representation of the surface of the material, and it's stunning.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How are Atoms Differentiated When Quanta are Not? Rhondazvous 5 1090 June 1, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atoms energy expansion Marsellus Wallace 6 1432 March 10, 2014 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Alex K
  How close we came to extinction in 1883 little_monkey 8 2509 November 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Single atoms isolated! theVOID 7 3480 September 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Understanding atoms. CoxRox 35 14891 December 31, 2008 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet