Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How close we came to extinction in 1883
How close we came to extinction in 1883
Quote:A re-analysis of historical observations suggest Earth narrowly avoided an extinction event just over a hundred years ago

Manterola and co end their paper by spelling out just how close Earth may have come to catastrophe that day. They point out that Bonilla observed these objects for about three and a half hours over two days. This implies an average of 131 objects per hour and a total of 3275 objects in the time between observations.

Each fragment was at least as big as the one thought to have hit Tunguska. Manterola and co end with this: "So if they had collided with Earth we would have had 3275 Tunguska events in two days, probably an extinction event."

A sobering thought.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/

RE: How close we came to extinction in 1883
Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I'm not sobered by it at all Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Glad they missed us, of course. I hope that does it for close calls for awhile.
(October 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm)little_monkey Wrote:
Quote:A re-analysis of historical observations suggest Earth narrowly avoided an extinction event just over a hundred years ago

Manterola and co end their paper by spelling out just how close Earth may have come to catastrophe that day. They point out that Bonilla observed these objects for about three and a half hours over two days. This implies an average of 131 objects per hour and a total of 3275 objects in the time between observations.

Each fragment was at least as big as the one thought to have hit Tunguska. Manterola and co end with this: "So if they had collided with Earth we would have had 3275 Tunguska events in two days, probably an extinction event."

A sobering thought.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/
Maybe someone was looking out for us.Clap Clap
(November 4, 2011 at 12:28 am)justthetruth Wrote: Maybe someone was looking out for us.Clap Clap

So god saved us from an extinction caused by rocks he set in motion.
Why'd he toss 'em at us in the first place?
I suppose it's those mysterious ways again...
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
Because god's a "make-work" kind of micro manager, clearly. Speaking of tunguska, and so I can get some perspective on this, did they ever decide if it was impact or airburst?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Maybe someone was looking out for us.

The least likely answer.
How unfortunate.
(November 4, 2011 at 8:54 am)Rhythm Wrote: Because god's a "make-work" kind of micro manager, clearly. Speaking of tunguska, and so I can get some perspective on this, did they ever decide if it was impact or airburst?

It was an airburst.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Climate Change - Human Extinction Rahn127 29 3796 January 30, 2019 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Do you think we'll ever discover where the universe came from? Heat 23 4572 October 25, 2015 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Atoms up close Euler 8 2491 February 14, 2013 at 10:41 am
Last Post: ManMachine