Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey
Hey
Hi there

I am new to the forum. I am a British (Scottish) Catholic, I am 35, married and I am employed as a professional engineer.

I am attracted to the forum for the range of topics it covers; as well as atheist/theist discussion, there is stuff about the arts, science etc.

I enjoy talking with people who have a different belief or world view from me. I find it stimulating to hear others point of view, and to learn in what way they mentally approach topics like morality, or theism, or how to cook an excellent burger, or who is going to win the next superbowl, or whatever.

I guess I seek discussion and debate, but in a positive, constructive fashion, where we can share ideas and agree-to-disagree at times. I am not here to try to convert people, patronise people or to intentionally piss anyone off.

I form my opinion of people based on the content of their character, how they conduct themselves and how they treat others - not based on if they are religious or not - so look forward to meeting some of you on the forums!

Cheers
GS
RE: Hey
Welcome!
I think there is some sort of a rule on this forum about not trying to convert but i dont really understand the rule, surely if youre debating about god then youre trying to prove yourself right, the other person wrong, and therefore logically encouraging a conversion, you have my personal permission try and convert me though.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Hey there, Gabriel, from a fellow Brit (even if I am a sassenach!)

As for the "no converting" thing, that would come under Rule #4:

Quote:No Preaching
Preaching is not permitted. Preaching is defined as a post that fulfills all the following requirements:
  • Includes a threat if a particular statement is not agreed with.
  • Fails to justify said threat with evidence.
  • Is repetitive.
  • Directed at forum members, rather than a general description of beliefs.
  • Uses negative connotations.
  • Is not in response to a query regarding personal beliefs.

Regardless, many folk aren't likely to treat any conversion attempts as anything more than an opportunity for a feeding frenzy, but since you don't intend to do that there shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure we won't starve.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm)Gabriel Syme Wrote: I form my opinion of people based on the content of their character, how they conduct themselves and how they treat others - not based on if they are religious or not

Now that, I can appreciate, Welcome aboard.
Hello. I enjoy talking to people with a different word view to my own as well.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Re: RE: Hey
Quote:No Preaching
Preaching is not permitted. Preaching is defined as a post that fulfills all the following requirements:
  • Includes a threat if a particular statement is not agreed with.
  • Fails to justify said threat with evidence.
  • Is repetitive.
  • Directed at forum members, rather than a general description of beliefs.
  • Uses negative connotations.
  • Is not in response to a query regarding personal beliefs.
How many of those constitute a strike?
I could have some fun here! Devil
Well, individually they might be considered annoying, if that's what you're going for. All six in combination would generate a critical mass. Wanna try it and see? Tongue
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome. Hope you brought your thick skin. Big Grin
(February 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Well, individually they might be considered annoying, if that's what you're going for. All six in combination would generate a critical mass. Wanna try it and see? Tongue
All-righty then!! Big Grin

God doesn't exist and if you can't prove that you should put up or shut up! There is no evidence! All theists are deluded fools. Theism is dead! Once more: proof?

Instaban right?

Some fools must've been real close right?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3272 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey :) Kate12345 10 1840 October 19, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Hey everyone Ryn 3 614 July 4, 2022 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hey up, you lot. RozzerusUnrelentus 21 2351 January 4, 2021 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hey Bulxy88 13 2051 July 2, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Bulxy88