Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey :)
Hey :)
Hi everyone! I'm a first time poster (but a long time lurker!) on this sub and I thought I would share my experiences of my journey in leaving the Mormon Church and the impact that had on my body confidence. If it helps just one person on their journey then that would be fab.

I'm a married mum of 2 living in the UK. I was part of the faith since birth (my parents were very religious) and myself, my sister and my brother all served missions for the Church. I didn't start to question any teachings until I was in my early 20s. I went off to University and I was exposed to a huge range of people from different backgrounds with different life experiences which made me question things I was taught. I still stayed as part of the Church during this time and I put those questions to one side. I got married and we started a family who we also began to raise within the faith

The questions and doubts I was feeling started to rise and ultimately led me to leave. My husband and I were on the same wavelength and we ended up leaving in 2020. It felt so freeing to be away and to raise our family in a loving, open and supportive environment. There was also some sadness as this led to a strain on friendships and family relationships but I'm confident that we made the right decision to leave. My self esteem was at an all time low whilst part of the JW - I was made to feel ashamed and embarrassed about my body, as I am sure many men and women in the organised religion can relate to.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago - we live in a village in the UK and my husband is part of the Community Fundraising Group. They work together to raise money for local Charities and to provide volunteering and help for people in the community. The village has close links with a local Cancer Charity and Hospice and (after being inspired by the fab film Calendar Girls!) our Community Group decided to create a Naked Charity Calendar (quite popular in the UK - not sure if it is in the US?) where residents of the village would volunteer as models and all proceeds raised by the sale of the Calendars would go to charity. I found out that they were looking for volunteer models so, after the discussing and getting the support from my husband, I decided to step WAY out of my comfort zone and do something I never would've considered before.

Our neighbour and friend Alan, who is a retired photographer and was actually a member of the Mormon Church for over 40 years himself before leaving, kindly offered his services to be the official photographer for free. The Calendar had a theme of a 'Candid Day of the Life' and my month was January at the start of the 'Day'. Alan did the photoshoot at my house last week and I can honestly say it was such a liberating and amazing (albeit nerve-wracking!!) experience. Alan was so kind and professional throughout and I am so glad that I took part (I don't know who was more nervous, him or me lol!). It felt as if I had finally liberated myself from the Church and claimed my body confidence and self esteem back. If you are ever feeling low or down then do step out of your comfort zone, you'll surprise yourself!

It was definitely a very surreal experience for myself - I married when I was quite young in the Church with my now husband being my only previous boyfriend, so Alan is the only man other my than husband I have exposed my bare ass to.

Alan sent me across one of the photos from the shoot which I've shared below Smile

Apologies for the long ramble! More than happy to answer any questions about the shoot etc.
Kate

Moderator Notice
link removed per 30/30 rule.
RE: Hey :)
Welcome.  Congratulations on your new freedom.

Maybe a moderator can share the link in the Champagne Lounge?
Welcome to the mad house!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Welcome, Kate12345, I hope you like it here.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Welcome!

Many here are ex-religious, and many are never-religious.
Welcome!
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Welcome!
ahoy there
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Hello! Smile
Welcome from another newbie!
"When you get the message, hang up the phone" --Alan Watts on enlightenment. Levitate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3251 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey everyone Ryn 3 611 July 4, 2022 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hey up, you lot. RozzerusUnrelentus 21 2336 January 4, 2021 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hey Bulxy88 13 2037 July 2, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Bulxy88
  Hey Sanau 9 1017 March 29, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama