Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Dr." Hovind refuted
"Dr." Hovind refuted
I'm not one to debate on Facebook what I debate on here. It just so happens that I commented on a friend's post which was mildly about religion and before I know it I've got Christians spewing forth their baseless creationist arguments against me. One guy in particular kept flinging arguments at me such as these:
  • Human footprints have been found next to dinosaur footprints
  • Carbon dating doesn't work because of A, B & C
  • The moon should be covered in kilometres of dust if it's 4.5 billion years old
  • If we use the rate at which the moon is moving away from us and "reverse" time, the moon would crash against earth (if they are 4.5 billion years old)

After doing 5 minutes of googling and finding the evidence and crunching numbers for him, it was blatantly obvious that he hadn't thought anything through. This was especially obvious with the last point I've outlined. If we actually crunch the numbers it turns out that if the moon had started at the Roche Limit (the closest point from Earth where the moon's orbit would still be functional) and made its way to where it is now, it would have taken 9.15 billion years. That's the upper bound which means in theory the moon started somewhere between the Roche Limit and where it is now. 10 000 year old Earth? Nowhere to be found.

Anyways, it seems like he was relaying to me the laughable arguments of a certain "Dr." Hovind who, according to Wikipedia, has 3 degrees in Christian education from unaccredited institutions, uses Creationist arguments that his father taught him & his major paper where all these arguments have come from hardly ever cites where he's gotten his data/information from. A shocking effort by someone who supposedly has a PhD.

I basically just wanted to link you guys to a website that refutes all these sorts of arguments (which you might have heard before). It's a nice little resource to quickly whip out on the uneducated or simply blind to basic scientific knowledge:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood.html

To top it all off, this guy is currently serving 10 years at a medium security prison for not paying his taxes. The Bible should be read literally, eh? This guy is the definition of irony. Absolutely disgraceful.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: "Dr." Hovind refuted
They made us watch hovind videos in highschool

We tore them to pieces

Ice shield my ass.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
The second last point I mentioned is based on a 50 year old calculation in 1960 by H. Pattersson before we collected dust samples in space (via satellites). And this fundie is trotting around Facebook spamming this 50-year-old refuted turd of a calculation.

When will the lunacy end? I've had enough...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(February 19, 2013 at 3:32 am)Stue Denim Wrote: They made us watch hovind videos in highschool

We tore them to pieces

Ice shield my ass.

What sort of school did you go to may I ask?
undefined
I heard about Dr hovind on an islamic forum first, with all creationist nutjobs the first thing i do is google thier name to find out how reputable they are, its ultra rare i search for the name and it says "biologist"
with kent hovind the first thing i found about him is that he literally is a con man and hes encarcerated, i dont know if he still is but i fucking hope so

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Uniting church.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(February 19, 2013 at 8:25 am)paulpablo Wrote: I heard about Dr hovind on an islamic forum first, with all creationist nutjobs the first thing i do is google thier name to find out how reputable they are, its ultra rare i search for the name and it says "biologist"
with kent hovind the first thing i found about him is that he literally is a con man and hes encarcerated, i dont know if he still is but i fucking hope so

He finishes his sentence in 2015. I just freaking love his idiocy that lead to probably the most ironic thing I've come across; a fundie going to jail for not paying taxes. It's just priceless hahaha.
Hovind is living proof that xtians are so fucking stupid they will fall for anything.

[Image: hovind.jpg?w=640]
I don't really think Kent Hovid believes the stuff that he says. I've heard that when he debates, he will totally change what he says and believes from one debate to the next just to throw people off guard and look good. He's just found the easiest, most gullible, dumbest group of people to scam money out of: creationists.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
For extra giggles, his Ph.D dissertation is online (don't have the link handy).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kent Hovind talks about bible contradictions drfuzzy 29 7113 January 3, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hovind's "Dissertation" Reviewed.... Minimalist 11 3568 October 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas