Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should violent criminals be castrated?
Should violent criminals be castrated?
The purpose of prison is to reform criminals, however this is not always possible. Many criminals repeatedly break the law and are undeterred by the prospect of punishment. There are several factors believed to contribute to criminal behavior, one important factor being high testosterone levels. It has been proven that testosterone is linked to aggression, in 1990 James Dabbs studied 4,462 men and concluded that "the overall picture among the high-testosterone men is one of delinquency, substance abuse and a tendency toward excess." Even in women, Dabbs found high testosterone levels were related to crimes of unprovoked violence. Statistically men commit significantly more crimes than women, specifically violent crimes.

We know that castration can drastically alter an animals behavior, most notably by reducing sex drive and aggression. Not all aggression is caused by testosterone, however the University of California found that in 60% of dogs aggression could be treated with castration. Castration also causes sterility which, considering the inability of prisoners to raise their children, may be an added bonus.

Violent criminals destroy their lives and the lives of others, is society not morally obliged to save them from themselves via castration?
RE: Should violent criminals be castrated?
You mean punish them in a permanent way for a transient crime? I prefer incarceration with it's sentences and limits -and, you know, less mutilation engaged in by the state (paid for by yours truly).

(we could also prevent a large amount of prostitution by mutilating the genitals, mouths, and hands of females - Jerkoff )
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You are right. Also, let's cut the fingers of thieves and help them to never steal again. Let's do that in public like in Iran;

[Image: finger+cutting+machine.jpg]

Who are you by the way?
Even though a lot less women commit violent crime - how do you propose we deal with them?

Violating someone who violates others is still violating someone.
What causes this higher rate of testosterone? Some of it is genetic, surely. But what about kids that are raised in violent, volatile environments? Being raised in abusive situations raises various hormone levels. Perhaps instead of punishing (because cutting someone's balls off is a punishment, not a path to reforming or redeeming anyone), we should focus on kids being raised in these types of environments and figure out a way to help them.
(February 25, 2013 at 11:38 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Who are you by the way?

Someone who just posted the same pile of... hmmm... anyway... over at TTA... Spring's a coming, folks, 'cause trolls be a trolling Dodgy
But the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others?
Why don't we just lobotomize them? Or why don't we just sever their spinal chord, so they have to spend the rest of their lives in a wheelchair rendering them unable to commit violent crime? Or how about since we're advocating barbaric, sadistic punishments that simply lower the giver of punishments to the level of the violent criminals, why don't we just put a bullet in their head and set them out on the curb for the garbageman?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Save the rounds and use a brick instead. It's the sustainable alternative, you just wash it (or not) and reuse it. You can even make them out of local materials.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Always thinking green, Rhythm.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Save the rounds and use a brick instead. It's the sustainable alternative, you just wash it (or not) and reuse it. You can even make them out of local materials.

We could just skip that bit and launch every nuke on the planet and wipe out the entire population of earth. You won't have to worry about any crime after that. Almost everyone commits some kind of crime at some point anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6847 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Rights and violent aggression. paulpablo 22 3151 December 17, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Cato
  Even Corporate Criminals Can't Stomach Drumpf Minimalist 1 724 June 18, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Anonymous pledges violent retaliation for Charlie Hebdo Creed of Heresy 1 947 January 11, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  More Corporate Criminals Nailed By Court Minimalist 3 1105 August 30, 2014 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Violent Revolution is Inevitable Koolay 24 4714 July 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  'Anonymous' plans for 'violent revolution' - WorldnetDaily TheDarkestOfAngels 13 5849 December 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Police become violent to OW in Melbourne, Aust. reverendjeremiah 36 9260 October 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah