Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rights and violent aggression.
Rights and violent aggression.
I was watching several videos on youtube about how most human rights are threats of government violence with the exception of a couple.

The idea being the two basic human rights are basically negetive ones.  You don't have the right to impose violent aggression without reasonable provocation (Things like self defence, protecting against wreckless behavior and so on, not hurting people who insult you."
The other is you don't have the right to break promises.

The argument being that every other right is a threat of violence.

If someone has the right to education, a teacher has to be provided, the teacher has to be paid for, if people refuse to pay taxes for everyone elses education they're eventually threatened with prison, if they resist they're treated with violence.  This violates the principle that you don't impose violent aggression without reasonable provocation in self defence and wreckless behavior.

Any opinions on this at all?

The person making these arguments is Stefan Molyneux a person I've mentioned before.  A free market capitalist/anarchist.

I think his views are pretty fascinating because they're pretty viciously straight down the middle and go against a lot of left wing and right wing ideas.

A lot of his videos are pro left wing in regaurds to religion, treatment of children, homosexuals, being against war. 
They're pro right wing in regaurds to buisiness, freedom, immigration.

The opinions I'd be most interested in are those relating to the two principles of not initiating violent force and not breaking your promises and how that relates to real life practical policies.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Rights and violent aggression.
Talk about a blunt treatment.  Our goverment -rarely- threatens violence for -any- reason.  If you deny a right, even then, lilly livered peices of shit will try to settle with you.  Violence is threatened in the abrogation of rights, but not by the government, by the people...for whom the government speaks, ostensibly.

"Fuck up, and we'll fuck you up"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The social contract legitimizes the threatened punishments for dodging taxes. Even anarchists benefit from government expenditures; Kazcinski wouldn't have been able to pursue his anarchist aims without using the roads built with taxes.

(December 13, 2016 at 11:28 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Talk about a blunt treatment.  Our goverment -rarely- threatens violence for -any- reason.  If you deny a right, even then, lilly livered peices of shit will try to settle with you.  Violence is threatened in the abrogation of rights, but not by the government, by the people...for whom the government speaks, ostensibly.

"Fuck up, and we'll fuck you up"

Aren't you American? America is one of the most aggressive, violent, threatening governments in the world.
Didn't Obama even say something along the lines of the nation state is the monopoly of violence.
Ontop of the military bases America has all over the world, the police brutality, so on and so on.

(December 13, 2016 at 11:49 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The social contract legitimizes the threatened punishments for dodging taxes. Even anarchists benefit from government expenditures; Kazcinski wouldn't have been able to pursue his anarchist aims without using the roads built with taxes.

I think people who believe in capitalism and anarchy believe in the privatisation of road building.
Not that I'm an anarchist myself. I'm all for good old fashioned government built roads.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I think the claim that most rights are a threat of government violence is overstated. The State provides penalties for the violation of the rights of others and for (as Thump intimated) willful violation of the social contract, but the threat of violence from the state - provided one lives in a liberal democracy - is pretty minimal.

In the case of not paying taxes that support education, the violence isn't for not ponying up, it is for resisting arrest, two monumentally different violations. If you don't pay your taxes, you may be fined, have a lien places against your property or income, and so forth. If you don't pay your taxes, it isn't as if jackbooted thugs come to your home and beat you with clubs until you pay.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 14, 2016 at 4:19 am)paulpablo Wrote:
(December 13, 2016 at 11:49 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The social contract legitimizes the threatened punishments for dodging taxes. Even anarchists benefit from government expenditures; Kazcinski wouldn't have been able to pursue his anarchist aims without using the roads built with taxes.

I think people who believe in capitalism and anarchy believe in the privatisation of road building.
Not that I'm an anarchist myself. I'm all for good old fashioned government built roads.

You're missing my point. No matter what they believe, the fact is, they avail themselves of the very institution they assert they wish to abolish.

(December 14, 2016 at 9:36 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(December 14, 2016 at 4:19 am)paulpablo Wrote: I think people who believe in capitalism and anarchy believe in the privatisation of road building.

You're missing my point. No matter what they believe, the fact is, they avail themselves of the very institution they assert they wish to abolish.

Which puts me in mind of the man who drove his car (equipped with government mandated safety features) over public roads to the local government council hall to bitch, 'What has the government ever done for me?'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 14, 2016 at 9:52 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 14, 2016 at 9:36 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: You're missing my point. No matter what they believe, the fact is, they avail themselves of the very institution they assert they wish to abolish.

Which puts me in mind of the man who drove his car (equipped with government mandated safety features) over public roads to the local government council hall to bitch, 'What has the government ever done for me?'

Boru

Exactly. I know a guy on another forum who bitterly rails against the taxes he pays on his home annually as being confiscatory. He quite sensibly called the fire department when it caught on fire; yet after that, he continued to rail against the taxation levied upon him.

It seems he thought the fire department was supported by bake-sales and charitable donations?

(December 14, 2016 at 10:16 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: It seems he thought the fire department was supported by bake-sales and charitable donations?

Depends where he lives. Around here, yes, the fire departments are volunteer nonprofit organizations that rely on charitable donations, raffles, bingo, etc.
Anarchists are stupid.

There's not really much more that needs to be said about that.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Civil Rights. Gawdzilla Sama 12 857 October 20, 2020 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  U.S. withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council? Foxaèr 26 2930 June 23, 2018 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Joods
  The Rights disdain of Hillary, where does it come from? GODZILLA 89 11661 March 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Athiestforum.org is a terrorist hole; accrding to new Saudi law. Human Rights Watch WinterHold 16 3158 November 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Trump Administration quietly rolling back civil rights efforts Foxaèr 4 1438 June 17, 2017 at 12:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Anonymous pledges violent retaliation for Charlie Hebdo Creed of Heresy 1 947 January 11, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Human Rights law.. lifesagift 12 2648 September 29, 2014 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does BDSM Need Its Own Rights Movement? EgoRaptor 57 17188 January 24, 2014 at 4:08 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  The Men's Rights Movement: I Just Don't Get It. Bipolar Bob 119 23941 November 10, 2013 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Bill Maher - The Upside of State's Rights! Minimalist 8 2234 September 28, 2013 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: festive1