Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If homosexuality were preventable should it be prevented?
If homosexuality were preventable should it be prevented?
Let's say there was a magic "cure" that could prevent all future born humans from developing into homosexuals, should it be used?

This raises the more fundamental question of how different human characteristics should be viewed. How do you decide when a naturalistic characteristic is good in itself or whether it should be prevented?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: If homosexuality were preventable should it be prevented?
Well they should be prevented from marrying, and prevented from adopting children, so I suppose prevented from existence makes perfect sense.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(February 27, 2013 at 5:11 am)Aractus Wrote: Well they should be prevented from marrying, and prevented from adopting children, so I suppose prevented from existence makes perfect sense.

Can't think of a single good reason that the above post should not apply to Christians if it applies to homosexuals.
No..........
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 27, 2013 at 5:11 am)Aractus Wrote: Well they should be prevented from marrying, and prevented from adopting children, so I suppose prevented from existence makes perfect sense.

Wow, thank you for your narrow minded bigoted arrogance.

No............... really.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Forget about the moral arguments that everyone should have the right to love who they want etc.

Considering this planet has massive over-population, I can't see how preventing people from 'developing into homosexuals', would be anything but a bad thing.

*Walks into this thread*

*Politely backs out*

Big Grin
Manipulating human genes?

no thank you

So do you plan on defending your ignorant opinion or are you happy to just appear as a complete fucktard?

Here's an alternative question.
If there was a magic pill that meant you take it and your baby would come out white, no matter the skin colour of the parents, Asian, African, African American, Latino, etc.. this pill made all babies come out as little blonde haired, blue eyed, western looking babies.
Should people take this pill?

Here's another question.
Why is homosexuality in this case considered the trait that needs to "bred out"?
Why not a pill to prevent hetrosexuality? What makes hetrosexuality superior to homosexuality?
Babies? With technology we can artificially impregnate people. Surrogates. Certainly enough orphans in the world..
It's natural? Over 700 animal speciies exzibit homosexual activity...
(February 27, 2013 at 4:55 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Let's say there was a magic "cure" that could prevent all future born humans from developing into homosexuals, should it be used?

This raises the more fundamental question of how different human characteristics should be viewed. How do you decide when a naturalistic characteristic is good in itself or whether it should be prevented?

For what purpose? The question apparently assumes that there is some medical issue with regard to homosexuality that requires it to be "cured". Is there any evidence that this is the case? If so, I've not seen it.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 683 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1680 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Who were your heros? Brian37 10 648 July 28, 2020 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1093 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2159 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What candy came out the year you were born? Foxaèr 23 1710 October 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  A thought on Homosexuality Amarok 44 2800 September 19, 2018 at 1:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If you were to perform in drag.... Foxaèr 39 5336 May 29, 2018 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Whitewolf
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16351 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  I think Homosexuality leads to AIDS and obesity Renug 13 3487 May 29, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Alex K