Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should pedophilia be legal?
Should pedophilia be legal?
Adults having sex with children is considered one of the most heinous crimes. The rape of a child causes significant trauma and physical harm. However consensual sex with children, which may not even be penetrative, is a grey area. In order for something to be justifiably criminalized it must be harmful, for this reason homosexuality has been decriminalized. There are several factors which need to be discussed when deciding if pedophilia is intrinsically harmful.

Age of consent

Ages of consent are arbitrary and differ across nations. In Italy a 40 year old can legally have sex with a 14 year old, whilst in California a 20 year old having sex with his 17 year old girlfriend is committing statutory rape. The problem with an age of consent is that it doesn't allow for exceptions: young people are criminalized for having consensual sex whilst vulnerable teenagers over the age of consent are unprotected. There is no scientific evidence suggesting that sex before a certain age is intrinsically harmful.

Taboo and morality

How society views sex is important, sexual ethics are subjective and ever changing. Sexual taboos exist in every culture and cause individuals to feel shame, guilt and other powerful emotions. These taboos are often unjustified, such as the taboo against interracial sex. Whilst sex with children is taboo in western cultures it has been, and still is, acceptable in some parts of the world. Recently the west has imposed it's sexual ethics on the Pitcairn Islands where children routinely have sex with adults. One woman told reporters:

"I was 13 ... I felt like a big lady. I wanted it"

What right do we have to impose our laws on these people? In the West parents can feed their kids junk food and raise them with religious beliefs, why should they not also be allowed to decide on how the child develops sexually?

APA (American Psychiatric Association)

The APA conducted 59 studies on college students. They discovered that two-thrids of sexually abused men and more than one-quarter of sexually abused women "reported neutral or positive reactions." They concluded that the negative effects of child sexual abuse "were neither pervasive nor typically intense".

In the Psychological Bulletin (1998, vol. 124) the American Psychiatric Association stated:

"Childhood sexual abuse is on average, only slightly associated with psychological harm--and that the harm may not be due to the sexual experience, but to the negative family factors in the children's backgrounds. When the sexual contact is not coerced...it may not be harmful at all." The APA also states that abuse "may only constitute a violation of social norms.".

Prior to the late 20th century much of the research on pedophilia was based on data from clinical populations, i.e., people who sought help for existing emotional/psychological problems. The APA concludes that "the inevitable result was that the pervasiveness of harm was greatly exaggerated, since only those who perceived themselves as needing treatment were included."

What are your opinions of aduts having consensual sex with children and teenagers?
RE: Should pedophilia be legal?
No

Why even ask?
Sick shit, but sex with children now is where gay sex was 50 years ago. We'll hear more of this stuff. There will be a movie depicting such a relationship positively. It will take decades, but these rules will at the least be significantly relaxed.

ETA: It was an interesting (and assuming OP is in favor of such probably a good) choice to put his in life sciences rather than politics or off topic. We're just animals, right?
(February 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm)John V Wrote: Sick shit, but sex with children now is where gay sex was 50 years ago. We'll hear more of this stuff. There will be a movie depicting such a relationship positively. It will take decades, but these rules will at the least be significantly relaxed.

Fuck off you turd!

Gay sex is consensual, pedophilia means unconsensual - therefor rape.

Your equasion is incriminating and disgusting!!!
It would be NAMBLA's wet dream come true. One never knows what will come down the pike in the west in the next half century.
What we consider pedophilia in the States was considered a matter of course at one time in the world. It's probably still practiced somewhere on the planet; child adult relationships.
Islam's prophet Muhammad took Aisha as wife when she was 6, or 9, or even 13, as accounts vary.

However when an ephedophile like "Green Mile" actor Doug Hutchison (51), can marry a 16 year old girl after her parents signed their consent, the consent issue is what should be of concern for what pedophiles could achieve in future. If parents can give their minor child to a quinquagenarian in marriage by contract, what won't NAMBLA type pedophiles try given that particular marriage gained huge press and could seed the idea in more than a few perverted minds.
[Image: white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538]
Then there was a man who said, “I never knew what real happiness was until I got married; by then it was too late." Anonymous
(February 27, 2013 at 6:28 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Fuck off you turd!

Quote of the year.
no
do you really think people are going to look at some statistics and think "mmmm yeh adults fucking children is fine by me" i agree the crime isnt as bad if the people having sex are at least in puberty but its a grey area not everyone goes through puberty at the same time, 15 or 16 would be an acceptable age of consent in my opinion. Even if a person is mature at 13 or 14 they can wait a while.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I think it's funny how often atheists on this forum will just assert moral values like if they're obvious.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(February 27, 2013 at 6:52 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I think it's funny how often atheists on this forum will just assert moral values like if they're obvious.

I don't think that's funny, I think that it's incredibly sad.

If it isn't obvious that fucking a child is wrong then something is seriously fucked up.
Since when is it not obvious that rape is wrong?

Angry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11435 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Information Brain tumor caused pedophilia Simon Moon 5 3024 January 10, 2013 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist