Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you work it out?
Smile 
How did you work it out?
Hi everybody
I do not believe in religion but i believe in God.
The other day i met an atheist and i had a discussion about the existence or not of God.
I asked him........how did you work it out that God does not exist?
He said ............i do not see him...i do not perceive.. the science can not prove his existence...and i can live without God so why should i care about it?
I said to him.....ok i can understand that someone does not care or is not interested but i can not understand someone that dismiss his existence relaying only on Physical science.
He said.......why not?
I said to him ......physical science is called PHYSICAL just because is confined to the physical arena or physical universe and therefore is unable to go beyond.
If you want to go beyond you need to use a different type of science and in order to do this you must have the desire to do so but as far as you put limitation to your desire there is no way you can discover anything at this stage in time.
Ok guys i hope to develop this topic with anyone who is interested and sorry for my poor english. Ciao
RE: How did you work it out?
Welcome to the forums.

Why do you feel a need to believe a God exists - and which one? - when there's no evidence of one existing, and each piece of 'evidence' provided by people that believe a God exists, can be (and has been) explained naturally?

EDIT: Whilst science cannot prove the existence of a God; it can disprove - or explain naturally - claims of a God that apparently interacts with our 'physical' world.
Welcome Do make a thread if you will. Enjoy the forums.
How did you work it out?
Ciao Enrico. :welcome:

Why do you not believe in Jupiter, Hera, or Apollo; "the Green Man" or Dianna?

Same thing with your deity. It really is that simple
(March 15, 2013 at 9:08 am)Persuade Me Wrote: Welcome to the forums.

Why do you feel a need to believe a God exists

The feeling does not come all of a sudden.
One day you feel that within the physical world you can not find peace of mind so you look elsewhere until you find something leading to that state.
Then you find that someone is helping you to reach that stage.
You don't know who is he-she but you feel the presence of someone.
Step by step it become more clear who is that entity.

Quote: - and which one? - when there's no evidence of one existing, and each piece of 'evidence' provided by people that believe a God exists, can be (and has been) explained naturally?

You say.........explained naturally...

What is natural really? Can you prove to me that your explaination is not the usual PHYSICAL SCIENCE because there is no way that through this science you will be able to go beyond and understand what lies beyond.

Quote:EDIT: Whilst science cannot prove the existence of a God; it can disprove - or explain naturally - claims of a God that apparently interacts with our 'physical' world.

Again you use the word NATURALLY when in fact physical science study only the effect of physical phenomena.
The physical universe may well be a trasformation of something more sophisticate and that dimension may well be the real NATURAL world.
How do you work out that God if ever exist must be a physical phenomena?
As far as I'm aware our world is physical. Why would I add god to that when its entirely unnecessary?
(March 15, 2013 at 10:08 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Ciao Enrico. Welcome

Why do you not believe in Jupiter, Hera, or Apollo; "the Green Man" or Dianna?

Same thing with your deity. It really is that simple

If Jupiter or anybody else will give me peace of mind i certainly will believe in them. But so far they failed, on the contrary the entity that i follow give me something very important.
Hi Enrico, welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of threads here which discuss this topic. If you spend enough time reading responses from atheists, you'll end up understanding many reasons why people dismiss the existence of god/s using only physical science. There are also many other ways to dismiss the existence of god/s using tools other than physical science and plenty of people do that, too

It sounds like your time in this forum may well be a learning experience.
Enjoy!
Sum ergo sum
When I say 'naturally' I mean that which comes from the physical world. Our world. Reality. The universe.
It doesn't need any supernatural being/force to explain it.
Science encompasses nature... There is no science outside of nature.

The reason that religion and the supernatural aren't a part of scientific research, is that there is no evidence for it.
If you say that you feel a presence, or that someone is helping you: that being must be interacting with our physical world... Therefore, it can be tested.

It isn't that difficult a concept to understand.
(March 15, 2013 at 10:13 am)Insanity x Wrote: As far as I'm aware our world is physical. Why would I add god to that when its entirely unnecessary?

Again, without the desire to go beyond this physical world there is no way that one can go beyond it.
You decided to stay within his limited boundaries, you are happy with this situation and that is ok but you can not say that beyond this physical world nothing exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You all did it... Thank you Qwest 28 3673 December 12, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet