Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handy chart of Gospel contradictions re: resurrection story
Handy chart of Gospel contradictions re: resurrection story
[Image: gospelcontradiction.png]

If God is omnipotent, he made sure all four accounts happened simultaneously and therefore they are all correct?
RE: Handy chart of Gospel contradictions re: resurrection story
Regarding the first line on the chart: so what? How do you define contradiction for this purpose, and why should the Christian be concerned about such contradictions?
So what? Well, frankly, many Christians regard the Bible as the word of God. So why are there so many contradictions? If you need contradiction defined, I suggest you peruse a dictionary. The definition is no different in this case.
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
Quote:why should the Christian be concerned about such contradictions?

If your infallible Holy Book has any contradictions, at all, how can you trust anything in it?
A contradiction in this case is when the same allegedly "inerrant" story is told in different ways but idiot jesus freaks still insist they are both inerrant.

It is not problem for us.....we know it is all bullshit. If it is not a problem for you then don't worry about it.

(But don't pretend you don't know what a contradiction is.)
RE: Handy chart of Gospel contradictions resurrection story
(March 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm)TromboneAtheist Wrote: So what? Well, frankly, many Christians regard the Bible as the word of God. So why are there so many contradictions? If you need contradiction defined, I suggest you peruse a dictionary. The definition is no different in this case.
OK.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contradict
con·tra·dict
verb (used with object)
1. to assert the contrary or opposite of; deny directly and categorically.

By this definition, the accounts do not contradict regarding the women who went to the grave.
By that definition, maybe not. Oh, by the way, I did not need the definition myself (I'm not THAT stupid...).
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
I suppose John just missed these two entries on the page to which he linked:

4. ( tr ) to be inconsistent with (a proposition, theory, etc): the facts contradicted his theory
5. ( intr ) (of two or more facts, principles, etc) to be at variance; be in contradiction
(March 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm)Ryantology Wrote: I suppose John just missed these two entries on the page to which he linked:

4. ( tr ) to be inconsistent with (a proposition, theory, etc): the facts contradicted his theory
5. ( intr ) (of two or more facts, principles, etc) to be at variance; be in contradiction
Mere variance doesn't bother me. Why should it? I've done the same as that first part myself, yet was accurate each time.
Quote:Mere variance doesn't bother me.

If, in a court case, there were four different accounts of who was in a certain place at a certain time, the testimony would be rendered useless. I would assume that allegedly inerrant scripture should be held to much higher standards than that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gospel of John controversy Jillybean 12 493 March 4, 2024 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mark's Gospel was damaged and reassembled incorrectly SeniorCitizen 1 350 November 19, 2023 at 5:48 pm
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 951 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 9885 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 625 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 6928 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2594 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  angel story video form Drich 107 10280 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 14890 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9118 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire