Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Singapore!!!
Hello from Singapore!!!
Hi, I am S.gal83 from Singapore. I used to be a christian for 7 years. However, I lost my faith in the christian god about a year ago.

Right now, I have no religions. I am open to any and every religion. I will like to explore more before I decide on a particular belief.

I believe there is a god who creates this world, but I do not worship him. I do not believe he is good(moral) and cease praying to him.

Well, that is me.
RE: Hello from Singapore!!!
Welcome to the forums.

Might as well ask, why do you think a god created this world, and why do you think it is immoral?
(September 5, 2009 at 11:43 am)Tiberius Wrote: Welcome to the forums.

Might as well ask, why do you think a god created this world, and why do you think it is immoral?

The belief in God who created this world was there even when I was a child. I was brought up in a taoist background, but my belief is always in a Most High Creator God. Therefore, when I learned about the christian concept of God, it matches with what I had always believed about God. As both a taoist, and later a christian, I had witnessed some of God's miracles.

I believe God is immoral after some objective study of the bible.

In the bible, it is commanded that a man shall not kill. Yet, God kills almost a whole world of population in the Noah's flood. He also commands the israelites to kill women, children, and non-israelites.

Humility is a virture praised by God. Yet, God is himself far from humble. He is so egoistic, that he demands everyone to worship him. It takes a very prideful being to want to be worshipped. A humble God will not want to be noticed by anyone for his goodness. He just does good because he loves to.

God does not care if a person does good deeds or bad deeds in his life. If you do not believe in him, he will send you to hell. Even a kind hearted man will go to hell just for not believing in God. And the hell is for eternity. How can such a God be moral? He has less of kindness than Hitler. Even Hitler don't torture good people for eternity.
Firstly Welcome.

Why be open to religions at all?
Can I suggest it might be better to see if non-religious means can fulfil your needs.
Personally I can't think of a single 'real' benefit from religion that wont have a secular alternative.

Edited for my stupidity

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 5, 2009 at 11:52 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Firstly Welcome.

Can I suggest it might be better to see if non-religious means can fulfil your needs.
Personally I can't think of a single 'real' benefit from religion that wont have a secular alternative.

Edited for my stupidity

I am open to any belief.
(September 5, 2009 at 11:52 am)s.gal83 Wrote:

The belief in God who created this world was there even when I was a child. I was brought up in a taoist background, but my belief is always in a Most High Creator God. Therefore, when I learned about the christian concept of God, it matches with what I had always believed about God. As both a taoist, and later a christian, I had witnessed some of God's miracles.
Ok, so what are some of these miracles. In other words, why do you believe there is a God? What led to your belief, other than your upbringing?
(September 5, 2009 at 11:56 am)s.gal83 Wrote:

Edited for my stupidity

I am open to any belief.

I wish to propose for your favourable consideration a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this, that it is undesirable to have a belief when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true.

Oh, and welcome also..
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Edited for my stupidity

(September 5, 2009 at 11:57 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(September 5, 2009 at 11:52 am)s.gal83 Wrote:

Ok, so what are some of these miracles. In other words, why do you believe there is a God? What led to your belief, other than your upbringing?

I believe in a God because well, I just always do.

Then, when I was around 12 years old, I went to Canada as a tourist. However, I was sick and had asthma. So, I could not go with the rest of my family to visit a snow mountain there. I had to stay in my hotel. I was disappointed and talked to the unknown god about it. Well, right outside my hotel, it started to snow that day. I later learnt from my tour guide that it was not a snowing season that day.

When I was 18, I converted to christianity. I wanted to commit suicide one day. I wrote a letter to God, telling him that I want to die and asking him to forgive me for my crime of suicide. Just after I finish writing the letter, my doorbell rang. My best friend came, buying me some food and drinks. She didn't know why she suddenly visit my house. She just felt her inner voice telling her to visit me and she obey her inner voice.

When I was 20, I attended a charismatic church. There, I witness peolple who had terminal illness being healed miraculously after they were being prayed for.

Such miracles in my life convinced me of the existence of God. Though later on, I began to doubt on his morality.
The problem you have is falsely attributing properties to God.

Your friend turning up means nothing, it is a coincidence and while some times they can seem meaningful they are hardly ever what we would like them to be. I myself can't count the number of times i have found a coincidence remarkable, yet when compared to the times when i needed such an event and it did not happen i see clearly than the event happens regardless. We as a species foolishly pay more attention to hits than misses when we should be considering both equally. If it was some kind of God than provided you with your friends company then did it happen every time you needed it? If not then how many times when you wished you had company when you were alone did it not happen? Do not reject the misses because they are part of reality and statistical expectations through chance.

I find your statement also to be a selfish one, no offence to you personally, but when you consider the millions of children who suffer death and disease, poverty and suffering, desperation and despair on a daily basis who pray to a God yet receive no help while yourself an intelligent, capable person does it means he favors you for some reason over every suffering person on this earth. Again, you CANNOT ignore the misses!

Myself, i see no reason to believe in a God: It was one of the first conclusions reached by our species in our infancy when faced with the difficult questions of existence and origins, yet is clearly the work of a limited, primitive mind. God is so inherently human-like alone than i find his existence to be unlikely, he is so limited to our imaginations than i reject the notion that anyone has received his inspired word.

God, when it comes down to it, is nothing more than an assumption about the universe, and the only way to correctly differentiate between different possible origins of the universe (or ANY assumption) is through evidence.

There is no way, without evidence, to distinguish between fact and fiction and because there is no evidence that specifically points to god over any other explanation then his existence it's self is an assumption and since no assumption can be assumed to be true without evidence, God should not be assumed to exist unless specifically pointed to be the evidence.
(September 5, 2009 at 10:19 am)s.gal83 Wrote: Hi, I am S.gal83 from Singapore. I used to be a christian for 7 years. However, I lost my faith in the christian god about a year ago.

Hey fellow Singaporean! Big Grin
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5998 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3647 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates
  hey guys! I'm from Singapore! funnyguy 6 2464 February 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet