Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soul
Soul
Since I'm dealing with a bunch of radical empiricists, I figure I need to start with something we observable. Look down. How many fingers are on your hands. Everyone counted eleven, right? Cool. So, we already have our immaterial. Eleven is a number. It's not material. You cannot go grab eleven and paint it green. You cannot throw eleven at your sister. Eleven is a quantity.

Now there are two options for this, you can either say that eleven exists in reality and we are perceiving eleven or you can say it exists in our heads.

If you choose the option that eleven exists in reality, you have to follow that since the eyeballs are receiving only material data, there must be a soul that perceives the immaterial.

Since you are a radical empiricist, you're not going to choose the later option. Instead, you choose the option where we have made up the concept. The problem with this is origin. If we go back in time to just when people were making language, the guy had to have seen the "eleven" deer and recognize the difference between those and other herd of deer (say, of 15). He recognized the difference of quantity before coming up with a word to describe various types of quantity. We can continue this as questions arise.

But before I'm done, I have one more example. Lets say that there is a universe where all that exists is a single oxygen atom. How many electrons are in its outer shell? Does it matter how many electrons are in is outer shell to be oxygen? Is oxygen a part of reality? If you answered 6, yes, yes, you should join the club of awesomeopossumjesusland. You get a t-shirt. If you got 8, yes, yes, go repeat the sixth grade and come back to us with a score of 85 or higher. Your t-shirt is waiting.

And now is the part where you tear my head off and make my argument seem like complete garbage. Feel free to insult my mother and her mother as you go (except Rhythm because I've already ignored that kiddo).
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
RE: Soul
You already know your argument is garbage. I wonder why you even bothered?
(March 29, 2013 at 12:27 am)Tex Wrote: Lets say that there is a universe where all that exists is a single oxygen atom. How many electrons are in its outer shell? Does it matter how many electrons are in is outer shell to be oxygen? Is oxygen a part of reality?

Oh the novelty! Who the hell is this guy? Gosh darn, what really is real?!?! Maybe ... god .. [/sarcasm]
What is foolish about the realism/anti-realism debate? I think it is a pretty good question, so do pretty much all philosophers.

[Image: D7612546_2932214_6261753]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 29, 2013 at 12:27 am)Tex Wrote: But before I'm done, I have one more example. Lets say that there is a universe where all that exists is a single oxygen atom.

Trick fucking question. C'mon Tex, cowboy up. Be honest and explain to AF why you have to invoke the idea of an imaginary universe to allow the existence of a 'single oxygen atom'.
(March 29, 2013 at 2:41 am)cato123 Wrote:
(March 29, 2013 at 12:27 am)Tex Wrote: But before I'm done, I have one more example. Lets say that there is a universe where all that exists is a single oxygen atom.

Trick fucking question. C'mon Tex, cowboy up. Be honest and explain to AF why you have to invoke the idea of an imaginary universe to allow the existence of a 'single oxygen atom'.

You make up a universe without God, so why are you hassling Tex.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(March 29, 2013 at 3:41 am)Godschild Wrote: You make up a universe without God, so why are you hassling Tex.

GC, if I had even an infinitesimal appreciation of your intellectual powers I would have excused you for not understanding my challenge to Tex. You accuse me of inventing a universe, no small task, but your boy challenged the entire forum with the idea of monatomic oxygen by invoking a hypothetical universe.

I don't need your god to explain the observable universe. I also don't need to invoke hypothetical universes to prove that my lord and saviour exists.
(March 29, 2013 at 12:27 am)Tex Wrote: If you choose the option that eleven exists in reality, you have to follow that since the eyeballs are receiving only material data, there must be a soul that perceives the immaterial.

Eyes only see material things and a soul perceives the immaterial... yeah it figures you exclude the brain.
Odd since his god only exists as a figment of his imagination.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Addressing The Soul From A State Of Ignorance gomtuu77 7 2127 March 9, 2014 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  The Soul Kayenneh 49 15470 June 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  [split]Science saved my soul. ib.me.ub 4 2218 December 3, 2010 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Is the soul eternal tackattack 53 15589 October 9, 2010 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I have a soul hence I exist. The_Flying_Skeptic 17 5710 September 18, 2010 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic
  Split Brain Experiment and the Soul The_Flying_Skeptic 11 7095 May 28, 2010 at 1:11 am
Last Post: tackattack