Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Addressing The Soul From A State Of Ignorance
Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-Of-Body Experience — And What They Found Was Amazing

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scientists...52794.html

Quote:What's happening?

Even if there is no soul stuck in our bodies, this woman isn't making this up. There's obviously something happening in her brain that is making her experience the world in a different way — but researchers can't yet say exactly what it is. Plus, this study was about one woman's out-of-body experience, not all out-of-body experiences.

The fact that people writing about this don’t even know how to talk outside of a materialist category, since a soul would be present only illocally, is not a material thing and therefore, has no extension in space; leaves me with NO ability to take this kind of writing and commentary seriously.

I hope people appreciate science, but I wish people were more conversant with some of the philosophical disciplines, such as the basic uses and function of logic and logical categories in our speaking and writing. It is really frustrating to see the mass ignorance that seems to coat nearly all of society like a wet blanket.
In His Grip,

gomtuu77

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -
RE: People Addressing The Soul From A State Of Ignorance
(March 9, 2014 at 3:00 am)gomtuu77 Wrote: The fact that people writing about this don’t even know how to talk outside of a materialist category, since a soul would be present only illocally, is not a material thing and therefore, has no extension in space; leaves me with NO ability to take this kind of writing and commentary seriously.

So, basically you're pissy because these scientists didn't immediately accept the unevidenced concept of a soul and work from that assumption, with no evidence? Your problem here is that these scientists did science and worked from the evidence, rather than engaging in the brand of mystical bullshit you engage in? Thinking

Quote:I hope people appreciate science, but I wish people were more conversant with some of the philosophical disciplines, such as the basic uses and function of logic and logical categories in our speaking and writing. It is really frustrating to see the mass ignorance that seems to coat nearly all of society like a wet blanket.

So your entire point is that you're frustrated that scientists aren't philosophers? Or that they'd prefer to do science, rather than wiffling on about things they can't detect?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Reading between the lines.

When can't explain something I fall back on "goddidit"

Everyone else should do the same.

I wonder how you'd have felt if the scientists had started talking about chi, or invoking gaia.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Quote: It is really frustrating to see the mass ignorance that seems to coat nearly all of society like a wet blanket.

I know what you mean. We call that mass ignorance Christianity.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
"Scientists scanned a woman's brain during an out of body experience: And what they found next was amazing clickbait"
It's like Flatliners.

But shitter.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(March 9, 2014 at 3:00 am)gomtuu77 Wrote: Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-Of-Body Experience — And What They Found Was Amazing

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scientists...52794.html

Quote:What's happening?

Even if there is no soul stuck in our bodies, this woman isn't making this up. There's obviously something happening in her brain that is making her experience the world in a different way — but researchers can't yet say exactly what it is. Plus, this study was about one woman's out-of-body experience, not all out-of-body experiences.

The fact that people writing about this don’t even know how to talk outside of a materialist category, since a soul would be present only illocally, is not a material thing and therefore, has no extension in space; leaves me with NO ability to take this kind of writing and commentary seriously.

Funny, the paltry nature and stupidity of your complaint leaves me unable to take you seriously.

Quote:I hope people appreciate science, but I wish people were more conversant with some of the philosophical disciplines, such as the basic uses and function of logic and logical categories in our speaking and writing. It is really frustrating to see the mass ignorance that seems to coat nearly all of society like a wet blanket.

I suggest you actually learn more philosophy yourself, particularly in the areas of epistemology and philosophy of mind.
You just had to make a new thread, when another had been made regarding this topic 10h ago.. Dodgy

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24491.html
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feral Children and the initial human state WinterHold 1 892 December 10, 2018 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 4937 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2490 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Soul Tex 142 21038 April 8, 2013 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Tex
  The Soul Kayenneh 49 15350 June 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  [split]Science saved my soul. ib.me.ub 4 2196 December 3, 2010 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Is the soul eternal tackattack 53 15422 October 9, 2010 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I have a soul hence I exist. The_Flying_Skeptic 17 5658 September 18, 2010 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic
  Split Brain Experiment and the Soul The_Flying_Skeptic 11 7071 May 28, 2010 at 1:11 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Ignorance deicide110 18 4156 April 2, 2010 at 9:43 am
Last Post: RedFish