Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Split Brain Experiment and the Soul
Split Brain Experiment and the Soul
This was originally a post on the 'Atheism vs. Deism' thread but because the discussion is so unrelated to the thread, I decided to put the post in its own thread so that tackattack could respond.

(May 22, 2010 at 6:09 am)tackattack Wrote: "This is contradicted by biology/neurology that clearly shows our mind being a product of brain activity. The latter will surely cease after death and therefore there's no life after death."
I wasn't aware that this was conclusive, please site your references.

I don't believe there is anyway to prove that there is no afterlife or soul. They are Russel's teapots floating around our universe.

I do believe that a relationship between our 'material' brain and our thought processes has been demonstrated. You ask for references; I raise you the split brain experiments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMLzP1VCANo

I chose the split brain experiment because not only does it demonstrate the dependency of thought processes on the brain, but it will also have you asking "Now that significant mental processes (which are conscious themselves of outside input) are entirely independent from his 'consciousness' , which part of his consciousness goes to heaven?" At the end of the video, the scientist explains his hypothesis on which part of the brain forms the 'theory' of our environment and memories. As you learn more and more about the relationship between our brain and our experience, slowly the distinction you make between the brain and soul will fade away.
RE: Split Brain Experiment and the Soul
Here's a page with a lot of brain disorder examples and how they relate to supernatural claims, especially the soul, http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/ghost.html .
@scented nectar, thanks for the link
(May 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: @scented nectar, thanks for the link
You're welcome. Someone at another forum posted it last year, I think. Can't remember which forum, but the link was a keeper for sure, and went into my favourites.
Good choice to split the topic. I apologize in advance for the wall of text. I'll try and segment it.
Thanks for the link SN good read.

First let's determine what we're talking about. The secular phrase body, mind and soul is misleading. When I, as a Christian, am talking about soul I am typically reffering to the mind. They mind is a mental constuct composed of all of the inputs/ stimuli around us and in us. It is the definition of self reffered to usually. When I talk about spirit, I'm talking about the Holy Spirit which is an incorporeal entity some Christians use to communicate better with God as both a translator, instigator and receiver. The Brain is the physical construct of cells and neurons that create the mass between some people's ears. For the purpose of this conversation we're talking about the soul or the identity of "I" or the mind.

Ok, I'll work on 5 for a start, I only have a little time tonight.

premise 1- "a relationship between our 'material' brain and our thought processes has been demonstrated. You ask for references; I raise you the split brain experiments: "

point-Completly agree the the brain is segented into smaller processing centers that can act independant of each other. Theese processing centers can be manipulated physically, thus demonstrating our mind can be manipulated on a physical level. Completly agree

Premise 2- "the mind should not be dependent on the configuration of the brain that houses it. In short, there should be aspects of the mind that owe nothing to the physical functioning of the brain. "
Counter-Why are they mutually exclusive? It doesn't follow. In the instances I read (at least half) and my personal experiences with amnesia, the person still had a self-identity or multiple self-identities. I don't think the I can be absent from the definition of self-aware. As long as we are aware of ourselves as different than what we percieve outside of us I can't see when the I would go away.

Premise 3- "there is no aspect of the mind that does not correspond to any area of the brain"
Counter- He defeated this himself by the next sentence. "we know precisely which brain regions control many fundamental aspects of human consciousness". IT's an asolutest statement that begs the question. We don't know everyhing about the brain therefore we don't know all aspects of the mind to come to said conclusion.

Premise 4- "After all, if there is an immortal soul, why would it be subordinate to flawed biology? If there is a god who is fair and just, and who punishes or rewards us for our actions, he would not set things up so that these actions can be dictated or altered by brain chemistry, genes, or other factors over which we have no control. Unless he is an unjust tyrant, he would make our actions the result of the individual's free choice. This is consistent with the idea of consciousness arising from a spiritual soul not subject to the weaknesses of the physical body. "
Counter-He's assuming that the immortal trait in the soul is some grandeous thing preventing it from the effects upon it. The soul is just another way of calling the human self-identity, whether it exists beyond death or not is the question we're discussing. There have been cases of people coming out of a vegatative state, deep coma and even brain death and having perfectly normal lives, with their identiy intact. That in itself proved that the termination of brain function does not kill the identity of self, as in "my name is" or "I want/need...". Why should it be a temproary state and not eternal? The rest of the quote is just his personal bias and emotive language.

Premise 5- "Without memory, a person's identity is irrevocably altered. The effects of this condition are consistent with the materialist prediction that the mind is unified with the brain, but seem considerably more difficult to reconcile with dualism. "
Counter- Emphatically wrong. There are plenty of other cases, but I'll use my own personal case as an example. I was diagnosed with temporary anterograde amnesia following a car accident I was in. My father arrived on the scene shortly after it happened and he recounted my words . I would repeat phrases like "What happened? and "I hope he's ok, can I check on him" which is perfectly in line with my personality and shows I have a distinct identity. I repeated this phrase for as long as I was conscious. That 24 hour block of memory is blank in my mind. I have reconstructed the events logically, but it's devoid of the depth of experience needed to relate it as an experience.Ok, so you're going to say "well you still had access to your distant memories". OK I can see that, let's take my grantmother. She had Alzheimer's disease and suffered a fall that left her completely devoid of any memory near the end of her life. She didn't recognize anyone or know where she was or why she was there or events in her life. She would still ask the orderly with a "hey you, could I get a soda" which clearly defines an identy (edited for clarity).

I got a late start and that's all I have time for now, discuss.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Quote: It doesn't follow. In the instances I read (at least half) and my personal experiences with amnesia, the person still had a self-identity or multiple self-identities. I don't think the I can be absent from the definition of self-aware. As long as we are aware of ourselves as different than what we percieve outside of us I can't see when the I would go away.

I think there is spectrum of amnesia and you experienced a temporary amnesia. Certainly you would not argue that our identity is independent of memory.

Quote:Counter- He defeated this himself by the next sentence. 'we know precisely which brain regions control many fundamental aspects of human consciousness.' It's an asolutest statement that begs the question. We don't know everyhing about the brain therefore we don't know all aspects of the mind to come to said conclusion.

Well, there is no 'brain theory' as far as I know, but there is enough evidence for the relationship between thought and matter to say that thought is dependent on matter and as someone else said here 'the mind' is high-level way of talking about very physical interactions. see 'high-level languages in Computing'

Quote:

Counter - He's assuming that the immortal trait in the soul is some grandeous thing preventing it from the effects upon it. The soul is just another way of calling the human self-identity, whether it exists beyond death or not is the question we're discussing. There have been cases of people coming out of a vegatative state, deep coma and even brain death and having perfectly normal lives, with their identiy intact. That in itself proved that the termination of brain function does not kill the identity of self, as in "my name is" or "I want/need...". Why should it be a temproary state and not eternal? The rest of the quote is just his personal bias and emotive language.

There are extreme cases of memory disorders, mental disorders, or brain damage that would affect a persons idea of their identity if not strip them entirely of being aware that they have an identity. Could you name some examples of people that have survived (or been misdiagnosed with) 'brain death'?

Quote:

OK I can see that, let's take my grantmother. She had Alzheimer's disease and suffered a fall that left her completely devoid of any memory near the end of her life. She didn't recognize anyone or know where she was or why she was there or events in her life. She would still ask the orderly with a "hey you, could I get a soda" which clearly defines an self-awareness.

In the end of your rebuttal to the last 'premise', your example confuses 'identity' with 'self awareness'. Did you know that one of the unifying properties of life is 'response to stimuli'?
No Ghosts In The Brain by Dr. PZ Myers http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...1227813170#
(May 25, 2010 at 3:52 pm)Scented Nectar Wrote: Here's a page with a lot of brain disorder examples and how they relate to supernatural claims, especially the soul, http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/ghost.html .

Just read through this completely - I can only recommend reading this to anyone! It's great!
It is only the small part about free will, where I disagree (it's also not scientific but pure speculation, which is OK). In my opinion, "free will" is only a concept of humanity, that makes it easier to abolish and persecute behavior counterproductive to the survival of our species - I think this is what is finally given in the text, but what comes before that is simply unnecessary (and also not correct, IMO).
(May 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote:

1-The long term effect of my amnesia was obviously temporary. The type however, was anterograde. No I'm not arguing that our identity is independent of memory. Our identity is based off a great many sensory inputs. I am not however going to argue that our identity is based solely off of our memory which is wha your arguement infers.

2-"...enough evidence for the relationship between thought and matter to say that thought is dependent on matter.. " yes I completely agree, however the question is whether it rests solely in the material. The material is the best test for the type of evidence you're looking for. I'm assume you're a materialist. However from a materialist perspective, how would you possibly be able to accept anything other than material evidence?

3-Yes there are plenty that can affect the identity (split it, diminsh aspects of it) I'm not aware of any that would completely erradicate the identity without of course brain death (Which doesn't kill identity, imo). If you have specific examples please specify them.

4- I agree that sometimes brain death is a misdiagnosis, ony related to the higher functions of the brain.. but I don't think it's always. Here's the first one I came across http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence01.html Many advancements have been done in suspended animation and use of the standstill operation.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

1- i think we really need agree on a useful definition for identity.

2- I think 'it' rests solely in the material. I know you believe that our memory, thoughts, mental processes, whatever may become separate from our nervous system and we disagree here. Could you make your question clearer for me please, or try to explain its meaning or where you are going with this question.

1-

4- i'll be checking out your source but superficially I see a source that profits from providing a confirmation bias.
your source for someone who was accused of 'brain death' who came back alive and was not misdiagnosed seems to be more of an example of 'the out of body experience' than an example of a 'dead person' coming back to life. I find the procedure performed by Dr. Michael Sabom as your example of 'brain death' to be contradictory since doctors, according to your source, consider the procedure "allowed Pam's aneurysm to be excised with a reasonable chance of success."

"his operation, nicknamed "standstill" by the doctors who perform it, required that Pam's body temperature be lowered to 60 degrees, her heartbeat and breathing stopped, her brain waves flattened, and the blood drained from her head. In everyday terms, she was put to death. "

again i see this as an exaggeration. I'm pretty sure that if you drain all the blood out of your head, you will suffer significant brain damage.

finally if you click at the link they provide to the standstill procedure known as hypothermic cardiac arrest, you aren't directed to a reputable scientific or medical source; instead you're directed to another dramatized story about the procedure written in the New York Times in 1990. This doesn't look good for your source's credibility at all... sorry
1-ok you go ahead and give us one, I'll critique if I see it as necessary
2-this point is about a materialist standpoint on the subject. If the most correct answer, however provable or unporvable, ends up being something immaterial, would you be able to set aside your materialist standpoint on just this matter?
4-Here's an abstract http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9738100 I don't have access to their actual studies. It's pretty simple abstractly: Cool the body, use a machine to circulate blood wait for all brain responses (upper and lower) to be 0, fix the problem and then reverse. Albeit most are already experiencing brain problems prior to this stage.
Regardless if there was indeed a brain death clinicaly then the identity would cease at that point from your perspective. It seems very testable, if anyone's survived actual brain death with a self-identy then the identity doesn't rest solely in the physical brain. Would that be valid?

Also why'd you ignore 3?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain? Duty 9 926 September 24, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1664 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12397 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Mind is the brain? Mystic 301 28828 April 19, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5405 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Omniscience: A thought experiment noctalla 58 7887 April 26, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  A thought experiment: The rainbow temple Escherscurtain 19 4305 August 8, 2014 at 9:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People Addressing The Soul From A State Of Ignorance gomtuu77 7 2108 March 9, 2014 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Determinism, Free Will, and A Thought Experiment Mudhammam 14 5654 January 10, 2014 at 4:27 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Monist vs. Dualist Experiment? Neo-Scholastic 148 36339 December 15, 2013 at 7:43 am
Last Post: pocaracas