Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Atheist holiday.
Atheist holiday.
Hello fellow atheists,

I've had a couple ideas recently that I think could help spread secular discourse in a grass roots sense. I'm not quite sure if my goals here are beyond the reach of this forum though. So let's find out. So this topic will address the first idea: an atheist holiday.

I've done a google search for this as well as a search here, but the search terms "atheist holiday" are either so vague that hundreds of threads pop up, or with quotes, just 2 that don't seem to suggest what I am suggesting (so I'm sorry if such a thread exists and I missed it). I've seen google results for April 1st, but that seems like a bad idea to pair it up with April Fool's Day. And it seems like an insincere thing in any event. I've also seen a result for "National Day of Reason" held on the first thursday of May, which coincides with National Day of Prayer, as a protest, it appears, by what seems like an unconstitutional holiday (in the US.) And for similar reasons, I don't really think that day represents us in the best of lights, trying to jam up the religious sects.

But to the point, I think atheist should have a "holiday," which appears to be a contraction for "Holy Day" and thus self-defeating. But it also appears there are secular holidays world wide. And perhaps rather than calling it a "holiday," it could be called "(national) atheist day" or some such alternate name. The name is less important. But imagine that on a day like Darwin's birthday, or the date of his publication of his theory of evolution, we atheists celebrated "national atheist day" or w/e. Facebook posts across the nation/world would change their pictures, or put up messages of "Happy atheist day!" etc. It could be a chance to gently apply pressure and awareness of our cause, to invite non hostile thinkers a chance to ask why we believe what we believe, to bring it up in media and social media. And it would be celebrated on a day that has some meaning for our beliefs/reasons/movement, rather than competing with other celebrations on the same day.

If such a day already exists and I just missed it in my searches, please let me know. If not, I would certainly like input in suggesting important dates. I think my default position is the birthday of the publication of the theory of evolution. We could think up some traditions/rituals/memes/etc that kind of act as a symbol of the day, like a menorah, christmas tree/carols, easter bunny, etc.

What do you guys'n'gals think?
Religious but open minded about the arguments of atheists? You may have spent your whole life learning about the arguments for religion. May I present to you 10 segmented hours for the case against it?
RE: Atheist holiday.
It is called the National Day of Reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day_of_Reason
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 31, 2013 at 2:02 am)Golbez Wrote: I've also seen a result for "National Day of Reason" held on the first thursday of May, which coincides with National Day of Prayer, as a protest, it appears, by what seems like an unconstitutional holiday (in the US.) And for similar reasons, I don't really think that day represents us in the best of lights, trying to jam up the religious sects.

Thanks, but I think that's still ineffective and insufficient.
Religious but open minded about the arguments of atheists? You may have spent your whole life learning about the arguments for religion. May I present to you 10 segmented hours for the case against it?
Let's just take a page from the Christian playbook and steal their holidays, transforming them into celebrations of rationality and humanism.
Well, that's sort of what I'm doing. Just not overlapping them with their own days. Particularly Christmas, which would get super crowded out by the culture, media, songs, etc. I don't want competition. And I don't want it to seem like it's just trying to intrude. I think we ought to pick our own day that has personal meaning to us, rather than sabotage. But otherwise, it would be exactly that. I'm stealing the idea of a "holiday" to celebrate rationality and humanism.
Re: Atheist holiday.
So what day(s) will it be? I'm looking forward to start the celebration asap.
So this idea hasn't left the planning stage yet. I'd like to gather a list of important dates/events that would have significant meaning to the atheist movement, and then choose one of those dates as the holiday.

I think it would also be useful to plan/develop/invent customs that would also be greatly symbolic and meaningful. Maybe create a logo that people could put as facebook pictures. Come up with events where people can hang out and talk about it. Maybe there could be a reflective moment called "question of the year" or w/e where people look back and consider what the greatest scientific advancement has been and talk about its impact.

As far as I can see, we just need to flesh out some ideas so that it can seem like a legitimate, sensible custom to hold, with a few clearly defined events/meanings to practice/celebrate, obviously on a voluntary basis. I kind of picture it like a short story. If I were writing about this, what would take place? What is its purpose? How do people celebrate it? How does it market itself to the culture? I feel like I have to address these types of questions before it has enough legitimacy to survive.

I'm open to other thoughts/suggestions/questions about it as well. I think it would be nice to have a holiday I could truly look forward to and fully embrace its meaning and symbolism.
Re: Atheist holiday.
What about a day named after person in history that had an impact on the scientific field and atheism?
Darwin Day!

That will drive the fuckers up a wall!
There was "holiday" not too long ago.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How about this for a Holiday? Brian37 2 727 March 30, 2017 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Holiday Contribution festive1 3 1216 December 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Manowar
Question Coping with the "Holiday" season thomj513 39 12681 December 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: thomj513