Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about this for a Holiday?
How about this for a Holiday?
Before I start, I must say I am no fan of some pockets of atheists starting "churches" because while it sounds short term attractive to short term thinking in trying to create an alternate to old superstitions, while it sounds nice short term, the bigger any group gets the more subordinates build up whom might look at the collective club as not being right, which is why religions in human history always divide and spit.

But as far as holidays, I don't think this is a problem. In America we have things like president's day and memorial day, and independence day and even mothers day and father's day. We do have Darwin Day but of course, that isn't as sexy as Christmas and Easter, and how dare any non Muslim eat in the middle of the day during Ramadan, much less pork.

But maybe atheists should counter Thanksgiving on the same exact day, and call it something else, just like we already call all collective holidays winter solstice. I like food, and family and beer and football on that day sure, but I could do with out thanking a God who blessed the invasion of the Americas who fucked over the Native Americans.

Every other religion, not that I want the word "atheist" to become one, but every other group has national holidays in every country representing historical icons and religious history. I love Darwin, but Darwin Day is only one day, and our history of skepticism extends far beyond just him.
RE: How about this for a Holiday?
Trying to trigger a schism in atheism ?

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: How about this for a Holiday?
(March 30, 2017 at 4:07 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Trying to trigger a schism in atheism ?

Tongue

I don't have to, there already is.

There are both Trump and Obama supporting atheists. There are far left PC atheists that insist "dont say boo ever" is a tactic, and "deport them all" atheists who agree with the far right  Trump supporters, neither of which I am a party to or like There are economic Atheists who agree with asshole Paul Ryan who loves Ayn Rand whom I hate. Then there are the "end the private sector Che supporting Marxists" morons on the other end.

I haven't triggered human division, it will always exist.

(March 30, 2017 at 4:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 30, 2017 at 4:07 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Trying to trigger a schism in atheism ?

Tongue

I don't have to, there already is.

There are both Trump and Obama supporting atheists. There are far left PC atheists that insist "dont say boo ever" is a tactic, and "deport them all" atheists who agree with the far right  Trump supporters, neither of which I am a party to or like There are economic Atheists who agree with asshole Paul Ryan who loves Ayn Rand whom I hate. Then there are the "end the private sector Che supporting Marxists" morons on the other end.

I haven't triggered human division, it will always exist.

Humans can argue all we want how different we are. The only real argument is about how we treat outsiders. Humans defend the social norms we are born into and to that end most of us have tunnel vision. The ultimate argument is merely about how humans fight and or cooperate over delegation of resources. The rest is artificial bullshit as to which each club, when we dominate and  build temporary monuments to temporary success. It is not to say goodness does not exist, or to say with even all our entrenched differences we cant find overlap, we can. Our species problem has always been gravity on a giant ball, as to which most cannot see how unimportant and fragile and alike we are in reality. No matter our differences, we are the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Holiday Contribution festive1 3 1195 December 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Manowar
  Atheist holiday. Golbez 16 2949 April 10, 2013 at 12:44 am
Last Post: Golbez
Question Coping with the "Holiday" season thomj513 39 12599 December 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: thomj513