Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coping with the "Holiday" season
Question 
Coping with the "Holiday" season
OK, so maybe it's not the "deepest" intellectual topic to discuss. But, I'd like to know how other folks deal with the hanukah, christmas, quanza (sp?) holidays. The company I work for has a bunch of, not all, "born again christians" that seem to get overly giddy this time of year with their religion; being of good cheer is one thing but let's not over do it. In the recent past and again for this year I'll be using vacation time so I'll be off work for about two weeks. This gets me out of the office and away from the festivities from mid December until after the new year. I view it as a nice vacation with the added benefit of some great sales going on at the retail level. I also tell friends and family to just get me a card if they have to and if they must give a gift, do it in cash; I'll buy what I like rather than have to exchange something I really don't like nor need. I've heard that some celebrate this time as the winter solstice. Nice idea, I may embrace it. Otherwise, I ignore it the best I can and live each day as if it were like any other. So, how do you "cope"? Thx, TJ.
RE: Coping with the "Holiday" season
I have no problem with the holidays at all. I love the irony when Christians start decorating their pagan tree with fertility symbols.

I enjoy the days of work in the company of family and friends, recharge my battery, and go back to work in a good mood (usually).
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I celebrate Christmas, and yet I don't think Jesus has magic powers, nor am I even sure if he ever even existed... amazing really.

EvF
Way it goes in my family is we relax and reflect on what we have. To the outsider - we do less and less each year, but I'd argue that is part of increasing adult attitudes of my sister and I.
Christmas has a secular aspect do it that I don't mind celebrating it. I understand some atheists feel the need to make Christmas "Just another day" but there's no harm in having a day off, spending it with people you love and giving gifts. Personally, I love Christmas Trees because the smell of pine in the house is wonderful.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I quite enjoy Christmas. Bought the first gift yesterday.

I think usually have lunch at my brother's.

We exchange gifts,and my sister in law does a terrific lunch, which we eat al fresco. (Xmas day here can be anything from high 70sF to mid 90sF). Bro likes a traditional lunch; starting with prawns (shrimp) then turkey,with a glazed ham,and about 6 vegetable.Finished with plum pudding with a brandy sauce.

I then do my best not get killed by some drunk driver on the way home (I don't drink)

I seldom go out New Years any more. If I do, public transport here is free from early New Year's Eve until 4am New Year's Day.
I'm getting special holiday cards that have a nice snowman on front and when you open it there's a mushroom cloud and the snowman is a skeleton and it says "Have a nice Nuclear Winter"
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I love christmas.

Without it winter would be really bleak, (which is why the various celebrations were invented in the first place).

But as Bart Simpson said, 'lets remeber the true meaning of Christams, the birth of Santa'

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I have no problem with Christmas. We celebrate the commercial side. I love the idea of Santa, the tree and decorations and the lights on the house, not so much the big electric bill for December. If you have kids you have to do the Christmas thing. I never decorate with a nativity scene. Those crack me up. All the people are white. You know I asked a die hard christian once why Jesus was so white, but all the people from that area are dark skinned with dark hair. His answer "People were a different color back then." He actually said that with a straight face, I shit you not.
binnyCoffee
(November 25, 2009 at 9:59 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: I'm getting special holiday cards that have a nice snowman on front and when you open it there's a mushroom cloud and the snowman is a skeleton and it says "Have a nice Nuclear Winter"

Where can I get my deck? Big Grin Devil
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How about this for a Holiday? Brian37 2 718 March 30, 2017 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Holiday Contribution festive1 3 1195 December 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Manowar
  EX Catholic recent Atheist....hard time coping with reality. CTR8008 13 5751 December 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Atheist holiday. Golbez 16 2949 April 10, 2013 at 12:44 am
Last Post: Golbez
  Reason for the Season lukec 40 16211 January 17, 2010 at 3:20 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko