Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The arrogance of theists
The arrogance of theists
Listening to the radio this morning I was struck by a news item about a Catholic couple who had been refused travel expenses to be able to send their 11 year old son to a Catholic School several miles from their home rather than the secular school he was currently attending.

Their argument was that because they were good (sic) Catholics and they had brought their son up the same way, they had the right to send him to the appropriate school and the council should help financially.

Because the council said no, they accused them of penalising their son because of his faith! What really struck me about this story was the sheer arrogance of this couple assuming that because they happen to subscribe to some belief or other it automatically entitles them to preferential treatment by the rest of society.

If I had wanted to send my children to secular schools the last thing I would have expected is a hand-out from the local council to assist in this. Why is it then the faithful (not all) seem to think that because of their belief they have an automatic right to special treatment and somehow be lifted above the rest of society as if they are better and their needs more important?

And what is it about society that tends to make it roll over and give in to these demands when religion is the root rather than any other aspect of a persons life. Luckily, in this case, the council saw sense but there have been many example where all people have to do is plead religious rights and authorities cave in.

Makes me sick!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: The arrogance of theists
Quote:What really struck me about this story was the sheer arrogance of this couple assuming that because they happen to subscribe to some belief or other it automatically entitles them to preferential treatment by the rest of society.

Quite right too.

Today's kids are spoilt rotten.

He's ELEVEN? "Several miles"? What's wrong with buying the lazy little bastard a bike? Devil

(I really did ride a bike "several miles" to the Catholic school I attended from, age 11.)
Well some parts of the UK I wouldn't even dream of getting on a bicycle. I'd be run over within a mile.

But I see no reason for the government to give money to that familiy because they want their kid in a different school. You want the kid there? Bring the kid there. No one is stopping you from attending.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Quote:Well some parts of the UK I wouldn't even dream of getting on a bicycle. I'd be run over within a mile

Yes I know.I don't understand what you're getting at.Cool Shades
(September 8, 2009 at 4:25 am)padraic Wrote: He's ELEVEN? "Several miles"? What's wrong with buying the lazy little bastard a bike? Devil (I really did ride a bike "several miles" to the Catholic school I attended from, age 11.)

Aye ... kids don't know they're born today, when I were young I lived in shoe box in middle't street!

Seriously though ... all of my schools were a fair distance from me.

My primary school was about 3 miles away, I walked to it.
My secondary was about 5 miles away and I either biked or caught a bus to it.

Both were Catholic ... is that irony?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Quote: Aye ... kids don't know they're born today, when I were young I lived in shoe box in middle't street!

A shoe box? Bloomin' looxury!

We lived in't wagon rut.We ate coal found on't railway tracks,or a rat au van* as a special Christmas treat. Ma would show us a picture of a roast chicken she stole from the debtor's prison just before being evicted for non payment of rent.

*that's a rat which has been run over by a van.

PS: My childhood was quite idyllic compared with my time in't army which was a little harsh.. (I was killed, twice)
Things like this make my blood boil, down right arrogance at its worst!

I feel hard done by that I fall in a "Steeple" area of a local church and that by UK Law, if that steeple requires renovation or fixing I am obliged to help with the costs!! How f*ckin mad is that!!

Although I don't expect such an event to occur I might try to plead Atheism as a form of defense to avoid paying for something I don't have an affiliation with, in a similar manner to those Catholic parents.

How far do you think that will go?

Do you think if I was Muslim I would be forced to pay to fix a Christian Church Steeple? Thinking
Gods don't Kill People! People with Gods Kill People!!!!
Go with the muslim theory. They'll be scared to offend you because of a possible religious war. Smile Course, they will also track all of your calls and messages.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The U.S. does lots of ass kissing for Christian organizations here.They seem to have alot of power because they are a majority group and if you want to be elected another term you better bend over and take it up the tail pipe.Although,this country is so hypocritical.The so called separation of church and state in our constitution is only valid on paper the reality of it all is a different story altogether.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

It is difficult to teach someone who thinks they know everything... Having a religiously based society (like America) prevents children from learning as fast... or as well. This is because they become arrogant in their baseless certainty... and in their arrogance: they deny logic and truth.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4889 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  The arrogance of modesty BrokenQuill92 15 2682 May 2, 2014 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8174 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  The supreme arrogance of religious thinking little_monkey 38 17349 October 17, 2010 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Arrogance Samson 3 1886 June 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Samson