Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Posts Update
Recommended Posts Update
Well, we gave it a trial run and already the recommendation system is being overused by everyone! Hundreds of recommendations have been given, which gave me the opportunity to do some coding last night, and the result is the box in the top left hand corner.

The staff had previously discussed having a "member of the week / month", but the problem came with how we choose the member. With the new recommendation system, it is up to all of you! The box is self-explanatory; it lists the top 3 recommended members for the last 24 hours, 7 days, and 30 days. This is a real-time system, so the last 30 days are the actual last 30 days, rather than the last complete month. As of this post, the "last 30 days" column is showing who got the most recommendations from 8th August to 8th September, and tomorrow it will be from 9th August to 9th September, etc.

The placement of the box isn't final; I just saw some empty space and put it up there. It shouldn't interfere with the rest of the forum template unless you are using a very small resolution (anything above and including 1024 x 768 should be fine). If you have a suggestion for an improved placement, please tell me Big Grin

Enjoy!
RE: Recommended Posts Update
(September 8, 2009 at 5:01 am)Tiberius Wrote: Well, we gave it a trial run and already the recommendation system is being overused by everyone! Hundreds of recommendations have been given, which gave me the opportunity to do some coding last night, and the result is the box in the top left hand corner.

Well I don't like it there ... it obscures something. Yes, yes I know you say there's nothing there but I'm convinced you're hiding something ... something terribly secret underneath it!

(September 8, 2009 at 5:01 am)Tiberius Wrote: The staff had previously discussed having a "member of the week / month", but the problem came with how we choose the member. With the new recommendation system, it is up to all of you! The box is self-explanatory; it lists the top 3 recommended members for the last 24 hours, 7 days, and 30 days.

Also ... what happened to me! For some (absolutely inexplicable) reason I was no. 3 today with 5 and now I'm replaced by that never to be sufficiently damned Darwinian person (who only has 4)!

It's a CONSPIRACY!!!!Confused Fall

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Don't feel to bad Kyu, I'll create 1500 sockpuppet accounts and you will be #1 in no time at all. Wink
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(September 8, 2009 at 5:18 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Also ... what happened to me! For some (absolutely inexplicable) reason I was no. 3 today with 5 and now I'm replaced by that never to be sufficiently damned Darwinian person (who only has 4)!
I assume the posts that you were in the top 3 for were recommended earlier on, and had since fallen out of the 24 hour time-frame. Only possible explanation other than my code being buggy...which it's not Tongue.
(September 8, 2009 at 5:26 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(September 8, 2009 at 5:18 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Also ... what happened to me! For some (absolutely inexplicable) reason I was no. 3 today with 5 and now I'm replaced by that never to be sufficiently damned Darwinian person (who only has 4)!
I assume the posts that you were in the top 3 for were recommended earlier on, and had since fallen out of the 24 hour time-frame. Only possible explanation other than my code being buggy...which it's not Tongue.

Huh? So how come I'm back now? And apparently above you in position #2?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

Leo boosted you up with his recommendation of your post in this thread. Like I said; it's real time. If people don't get recommended for a period of time, they drop down the list; likewise, if more people get recommended, they go up the list (knocking people down as they go up).

You can expect the most recommended today to change frequently, but the other two should stay the same for longer Big Grin
(September 8, 2009 at 6:31 am)Tiberius Wrote: Leo boosted you up with his recommendation of your post in this thread. Like I said; it's real time. If people don't get recommended for a period of time, they drop down the list; likewise, if more people get recommended, they go up the list (knocking people down as they go up).

Oh (thx Leo ... er ... and Adrian) ... still don't understand why I was 5 then I was not, then I was again ... 7 now though Smile

People can remove a rec too can't they? Can we see a given person's recommended posts?

Kyu
Angry Atheism

It's great Adrian. Good work Wink (trolling for rep Tongue haha!)
You could say it encourages posters to compose informative, interesting posts to gain recommendations lol Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
I like it ^_^

I like the kudos+1 button ^_^

I think it is weird to have the second most recommended posts over the last month Dodgy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6555 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  A Quick Update Tiberius 4 1848 January 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Privacy Policy Update Tiberius 1 919 October 8, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Area 69 Rules Update Cyberman 34 5832 July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Trolling rule update Jackalope 110 18368 February 19, 2017 at 3:39 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule. Tiberius 25 5727 November 27, 2016 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Spam Detection (READ THIS IF YOUR POSTS KEEP DISAPPEARING) Tiberius 14 6249 July 28, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Alex K
  New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update Tiberius 38 6816 July 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Forum Migration Update Tiberius 174 25531 May 12, 2015 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Announcement: Rules update Jackalope 1 1822 August 17, 2014 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Mystical