Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule.
Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule.
Recently we warned a member for misquoting another member, which would ordinarily violate our "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule, though the user did not use quote tags, but rather used quotation marks. The staff considered this a violation of the spirit of the rule, however in order to clear up any ambiguity, we voted to update the rule to make it clear that member quotes which are within quote tags or between quotation marks should not be altered.

The updated rule reads as follows:

Quote:Quoting Others Inaccurately
When quoting another member of the forums, whether using quote tags or putting quotes between quotation marks, members may quote them in whole or in part, but may not change the quoted text by adding, modifying, or deleting words. An exception to this rule is where the member is paraphrasing, provided that the paraphrased quote does not change the meaning of the original quote, or takes the quote out of its original context.

Adding formatting for purposes of clarification or highlighting (e.g. making certain words bold, adding reference numbers, etc.) is allowed, provided that the member indicates that the additions are their own and not in the original quote, and provided that the formatting does not change the meaning of the quoted text.

Changing quoted text for the purpose of parody is allowed, provided that the parody is clear to members. In the case of ambiguity, staff will err on the side of preserving the author's original words rather than preserving a member's artistic license.

- Atheist Forums Staff
RE: Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule.
Great! Good change Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
And here all I thought you guys did was sit around all day and play with each other.

What the hell was I thinking?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
it just isn't possible to stay in the orgy room or the opium den or the pediatric sashimi buffet ALL the time . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What a joke... You guys should see how they define parody...
Popcorn
(November 19, 2016 at 8:26 am)mh.brewer Wrote: And here all I thought you guys did was sit around all day and play with each other.

What the hell was I thinking?

You gave them more credit than I did. I thought they just played with themselves all day. Tongue
(November 19, 2016 at 10:36 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: What a joke...  You guys should see how they define parody...

Is it defined as "pretentious, attention-seeking twat?"
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 19, 2016 at 11:32 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(November 19, 2016 at 10:36 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: What a joke...  You guys should see how they define parody...

Is it defined as "pretentious, attention-seeking twat?"
I think it's defined as boring druggie with mental problems.
Popcorn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Hate Speech, rule 7 arewethereyet 24 2381 September 21, 2023 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6364 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  PSA: Added to threats rule arewethereyet 8 2784 May 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  PSA: The Necroposting Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 42 6410 April 6, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: brewer
  PSA - Clarification of rule #3 on doxxing. arewethereyet 18 3608 November 17, 2021 at 5:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Proposing A Rule Change BrianSoddingBoru4 24 4863 June 11, 2020 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  PSA: New Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 75 13495 July 22, 2019 at 8:19 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  A Quick Update Tiberius 4 1839 January 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  The 30/30 rule Losty 3 1260 June 27, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Pedophilia Rule Modification Tiberius 3 1170 June 27, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: robvalue